Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 07-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #21
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
We are not suggesting "off-road" bikes. Those are all street bikes, with a bit of ability to handle unpaved roads. The reason we suggest them is because they have (usually) more leg room than standards or sports bikes.
Oh ok, makes sense. Thanks for the advice.
lrredsoxfan06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #22
vermicious
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrredsoxfan06 View Post
Here is Maryland, every day is different. The weatherman will say it will be 100 degrees tomorrow, and then it'll rain with high winds and be 65 degrees. After doing a little research, and with all the help, I think a textile jacket will work well.

Thanks for the help!
I've been riding around Maryland and surrounding states for almost 20 years now if you want any location specific advice
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #23
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

^^^^Ok, great. Thanks a ton!^^^^

I have another question for you guys..sorry, lol.

Is an EX500 same as a Ninja 500? If not, what are the differences?

I ask this question because I was on eBay the other day, and was looking at some Ninja 500s, but a lot of the descriptions included 'EX500' and so did the titles.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 07-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #24
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

EX500 is the model, Ninja is the name, same bike. The GS500 Suzuki is also an excellent choice.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #25
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
EX500 is the model, Ninja is the name, same bike. The GS500 Suzuki is also an excellent choice.
Ok, thanks for that information.

Now is the Suzuki GS500 pretty much the same bike as the Kawasaki 500, just the Suzuki version?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #26
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Essentially, but oil/air-cooled rather than water-cooled like the EX. 'Cept Suzie "updated" the GS500 a couple of years ago - made it look similar to the "Cyclops Eye" Gixxers (6hunnert-7fiddy-Thou-'Busa). I can't recall if there were engine/s'spension updates to go with the facelift. I know it got a bit wider wheels and rubber on the back.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #27
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Essentially, but oil/air-cooled rather than water-cooled like the EX. 'Cept Suzie "updated" the GS500 a couple of years ago - made it look similar to the "Cyclops Eye" Gixxers (6hunnert-7fiddy-Thou-'Busa). I can't recall if there were engine/s'spension updates to go with the facelift. I know it got a bit wider wheels and rubber on the back.
Oh ok, good information to know as well.

Is oil/air-cooled better or worse than water-cooled? Not that this will make or break my decision on purchasing a bike..lol.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #28
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh ok, good information to know as well.

Is oil/air-cooled better or worse than water-cooled? Not that this will make or break my decision on purchasing a bike..lol.
Generally speaking, a water cooled engine will produce more horsepower for a given displacement than an air/oil cooled engine. However, there are so many exceptions and variables to this that it's almost a moot point. Look at the bikes, sit on the bikes, show your girlfriend the bikes, buy the one you like best. If the GF doesn't like it, get a new one. Girlfriend, not bike.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #29
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
A KLR650 would definitely be a good fit if I wanted to remain riding on the dirt. I'm trying to move away from the dirt as I already have 4 wheelers and dirt bikes to ride. I'm really looking for something sporty for the street.

Thanks though.
Trust me, having owned a KLR it does not make a good dirt bike, only looks the part. Sure it will handle things a bmw GS1200 might not but compared to a true dirt bike the KLR is only good for Fire Roads. Just saying with your height, budget, experiance and insurance requirements the KLR would fit the bill perfectly. Ride it for a year then choose the street ride of your choice. For me my KLR with full coverage was only $250 a year, but I was 29 at the time. A 600 race rep will cost an 18 year old $2000 - $5000 plus, per year on insurance (if financed). So sporty may be out of your price range. The ninja 500 or gs500 suzuki may be all the sporty you can afford at this time. But they are smaller bikes and leg room will be sacraficed. Hence back to the KLR or similar DUAL Sports as a first street ride.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #30
lrredsoxfan06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Trust me, having owned a KLR it does not make a good dirt bike, only looks the part. Sure it will handle things a bmw GS1200 might not but compared to a true dirt bike the KLR is only good for Fire Roads. Just saying with your height, budget, experiance and insurance requirements the KLR would fit the bill perfectly. Ride it for a year then choose the street ride of your choice. For me my KLR with full coverage was only $250 a year, but I was 29 at the time. A 600 race rep will cost an 18 year old $2000 - $5000 plus, per year on insurance (if financed). So sporty may be out of your price range. The ninja 500 or gs500 suzuki may be all the sporty you can afford at this time. But they are smaller bikes and leg room will be sacraficed. Hence back to the KLR or similar DUAL Sports as a first street ride.
I understand where you are coming from. Before I buy any bike, I will run the numbers on insurance, all the work that needs to be done since I will be buying used, the gear that will need to be bought, etc.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but by the looks of it, $2000 - $5000 plus per year for a Ninja 500 or a Suzuki GS500 seems high. Don't get me wrong, $2000 - $3000 is probably more accurate.

Acecycleins, can you please run the numbers for me on a Ninja 500 and a Suzuki GS500?

Also before I buy any bike, I will sit on the bike of course, test the leg room, and test drive it if the owner will let me.

I hope I don't seem like I am bashing you, or trying to act like I'm smarter or better than you. Just replying to what you said..conversating is all.

Thanks for all the new information.

Last edited by lrredsoxfan06 : 07-07-2008 at 02:40 PM.