Old 01-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #51
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadGun View Post
OMFG you weren't freaking kidding!
Transit Pants
#249 $697.00
Can you pay too much for protection though? Is Goretex really waterproof? ..... heavy precipitation overcomes it's 'waterproofness'.

To a point, yes. I've ridden in some real monsoon rain and stayed dry for the most part with some minor seepage but again this is in some major garden hose rain..I don't think much short of a Gumby Suit would work in that. What you do get is flexibility, versitility and near race grade leather abrasion resistance. My experiance with other "Ballistic Nylon" "Rock-Tex" or whatever other trade name you wish to use is that yes it offers protection and yes it will wear through.

Where I live heat and humidity are usually not a problem so the ventilation is usually enough to keep you comfortable, no worse than ventilated leather at any rate. Other areas of the country that may be an issue so I can't say but for my riding in a cool and wet enviroment an Aerostitch, either Roadcrafter or Darien is about the best 4 season suit around

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #52
pushrod
Founding Member

BG,

Skip the leather!

Buy a good set of textile pants, and a convertible textile jacket. They will work as well or better than leather, they're a heck of a lot cheaper, and (these are the most important two points for those of us in the South) you will be more likely to wear them in the summer, and they are washable.

You wear leathers on a couple August rides, you'll have all the neighorhood dogs following you around.

I'm a fan of the Joe Rocket line. The Superego and Phoenix models are very versatile.

HTH!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #53
BadGun
Registered Member

I kinda like the Roe Rocket Alter Ego. There is a removable waterproof liner, and the price isn't too bad either. Any comments on these pants?
BadGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #54
pushrod
Founding Member

From the JR site (regarding the AlterEgo trou):

"Part Jekyll, part Hyde. The ALTER EGO 2.0 PANTS have the split personality of a wind breaking ROCK TEX 660 shell and a removable waterproof liner, while zip off sections expose the FREE-AIR panels that let the wind in on those blistering hot days. Think of it as our little way of flipping Mother Nature the bird."

Now, I have only owned the Ballistic model, but a friend has the AE 1.0 pants, and he loves them.

Personally, I have no need for the 'wind-breaking' shell, as I do enough of that my ownself.

I'd recommend you look at metricbikes.com and a couple of other sites, and maybe go to the IMS, even though it's not in Atlanta this year. You can probably find the 1.0 pants for less than half the retail price.

Although I try to support my local bike shop, I recommend you go to someone that carries JR, Fieldsheer and the various other makes, and try the pants and jackets on to see what size you need. If they are asking MSRP, then take that info back to the computer, and buy there.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #55
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

So, these things are OK to fart in?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #56
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
I kinda like the Roe Rocket Alter Ego. There is a removable waterproof liner, and the price isn't too bad either. Any comments on these pants?
Gunster, my brother has the Alter Ego overpants. I have the Fieldsheer Mercury overpants. IMHO, the Fieldsheer pants are better because the zippers and full-length, making donning/doffing the pants with shoes or boots on much easier. The Joe Rocket pant zippers don't go all the way up (even though I think the description says they do).

Check out the TourMaster line of jackets. They make great stuff. I have the Transition jacket (4-season), but that is a 3/4 length touring jacket. You may want the waist-length sport style of jacket.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #57
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
They have a really long name for a pair of pants.