Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Silverstein
Registered Member

Post 250 cc bikes

I've been thinking about getting into motorcycles and don't want to buy an overly priced bike, so I've been looking at 250 cruisers such as the honda rebel, or something similar to that like the suzuki s40(something like that). But, my real hang up when it comes to these bikes is I'm not sure I'd be comfortable on them, I'm about 6 feet tall, 140-155 pounds, would I be comfortable and not too tall for one of these bikes?

I don't want to buy too much power and go overboard when I'm such a newb. Is 250 cc enough power to get me to town on my highway?

Thank you.

Sil.
Silverstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

250 cc is enough power, at least in some bikes. The little Virago 250 is pretty wimpy, but the Rebel seems to be a bit better.

Why don't you look at dual-sport bikes? They tend to have much taller seat heights than the little cruisers. We highly recommend them for beginning riders, but they can be a lot of fun even if you are experienced.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstein View Post
I'm not sure I'd be comfortable on them, I'm about 6 feet tall, 140-155 pounds, would I be comfortable and not too tall for one of these bikes?

I don't want to buy too much power and go overboard when I'm such a newb. Is 250 cc enough power to get me to town on my highway?

Thank you.

Sil.
You're right at my height and weight, and I'd be ok on one of those bikes around town. Nobody can say for sure if you'll be comfortable, but the dealers will be happy to let you sit on the bikes and give them a try. And, truth be told, you're still not going to know for sure if it's right for you until you get out and ride it, but you can at least get an idea. You'll actually be more "comfortable" in a non-physical way having a bike that you don't find intimidating in weight and size.

250cc will be sufficient to be safe and move along with traffic. I'd buy used though, as you'll probably want to trade up after a while if it turns out you like motorcycling.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Silverstein
Registered Member

Ok, thank you, very helpful posts, I'm looking at eBay and am surprised at how cheap I can find some used 250cc hondas and suzukis, especially if it has some sratches and stuff, and I don't care if it's beat up on the outside, just the inside I care more for.
Silverstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Also, check out the sticky threads in this Learning to Ride forum -- they will have other useful info for you.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

I'm a little taller than you at 6'2", and I don't find 250 cc cruisers all that comfortable, with the major exception of the Hyosung GV250. That one's pretty comfortable even at my size. The Ninja 250 fits me pretty well, though. And as you're not quite as tall as me, you might want to see if a Honda Rebel fits you. The Nighthawk 250 also has somewhat classical styling and is a lot more tall rider friendly. I'd also say with cruisers you could hop on a 650 if you do reasonably well in the MSF, and not worry that it's too heavy. So you might want to look at a V-Star 650.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
fatbikez
Registered Member

my first bike was a katana 600. I know that you are not interested in sports bikes but if you are the 600 would be perfect.
fatbikez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:27 AM   #8
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Yes, a supersport bike is perfect for your first bike.

O_O

BOSSHOSS. Screw these wussy 600cc mini bikes you NEED one of those bikez and if you have anything between your legs get ATLEAST 502 with a rootz supercharger and some nawzzzz!

Boss Hoss - Mountain Boss Hoss
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote