Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
DupuisM
Registered Member

Default New Rider

Hey everyone. I've always wanted a bike and I'm planning on getting one sometime soon. Could someone give me a couple hints or good places to go for info? I'm partial to a cruiser for more relaxed and comfortable rides. Something that's lower end too, since it's my first bike. I've seen a lot of bikes like the Kawasaki Eliminator, but it's 124 ccs. Is that lacking?
-Mike
DupuisM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

49cc's is enough to Kill you - what more does mankind need?

Also, what makes you think a Cruiser is more "relaxed and comfortable" than say, a Nekkid Standard?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Hi, Mike. I've moved your thread to the Learning to Ride forum. Check out the other threads in this forum for some good background information about appropriate bikes. There's nothing wrong with getting a smaller bike to start with, but (as we often caution people) cruisers are NOT necessarily more comfortable than other kinds of bikes. A cruiser can feel more comfortable when it's not moving, but that seating position can cause problems when the bike is moving. Bikes are dynamic machines, and the key is to find something that feels good and fits right when you are on the move. That will not be the same fit and feel that you get from a parked bike.

Ok, now - have you taken the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class? If not, sign up for it. Also, have you invested in good gear?

Welcome to the site, and don't let our inane humor get to you. If you have questions we will do our best to give you good advice.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
DupuisM
Registered Member

Thank you for the reply, and moving the thread. I'll read into the other posts for some info. I'm currently doing some basic research online, regarding which motorcycles I would be interested in. I just always thought that cruisers were more comfortable and that was what I was told by riders. I'll keep my options open though.

I haven't taken the course yet, but I will enroll for sure seeing as how I'm serious about this. I haven't yet invested in the gear. I was planning on getting the bike first. Where is a trusted place to for gear?

Thank you for the info, it's greatly appreciated. I won't let the humor bother me. I did cry a little at first, but now that the tears are dried, I can press on.
-Mike
DupuisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Where do you live? Most motorcycle shops should have a selection of gear. There are a few stand-alone gear shops as well, such as Cycle Gear.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Cruisers are ok, but what you'll find is that if you're going to ride one a lot, you'll want to have a windscreen available. The wind in the hair thing gets old after an hour or so, especially when there's June bugs ready to drill through your eye socket and into your brain or just clobber you off of the bike.

I'd at least double that 125 to a 250 if you're going on the highway when the time comes. Yes, you can ride a 125 on I95, but it's going to be wound tight trying to keep up. There's a bunch of 250 class bikes both in standard, sport, and cruiser styles for a few grand new or considerably less used. Try Cycle Trader, Trader Online Magazine New and Used Classifieds For Sale - TraderOnline.com, and do some searches. I like their site for browsing just because you and search and sort by so many handy variables. You can get a good idea of what's out there and for how much pretty quick.