Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Pre-training prep, etc.? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/8203-pre-training-prep-etc.html)

Shad0w 05-21-2008 06:12 PM

Pre-training prep, etc.?

Hey,

So I'm 36, have thought about getting my license for many years and decided that this is the year. I'll be taking the MSF (or Canadian equivalent anyway) later this summer, and am currently shopping for gear. Now, I've never ridden a motorcycle before at all and, even worse, I've really only driven automatic cars (please be kind, I just never had access to manuals) :) Is this going to be a huge problem in learning to ride a bike? Is there anything I can do ahead of time to better prepare for the course or is it best to just go in fresh?

I won't ask about bike choices at this point but I will say that, having read the "read this first" thread that, no, I don't want a 600cc sport bike :D It's cruiser only for me! Thanks!

sachiwilson 05-21-2008 06:42 PM

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

What I would suggest is looking for good protective gear. Helmet, gloves, boots that cover the ankles, and some sort of leather or mesh protection (depending on your climate) for the rest of you.

Don't worry about learning to shift. It's easier on a motorcycle than it is in a car, because you use your hand to engage the clutch. You'll be able to feel what to do in no time. Oh, and feel free to keep asking questions! We are a bunch of crabby and insane bastids but we do like to help n00bs get into the sport! :D

Shad0w 05-22-2008 03:36 AM

Thanks for the reply! No worries, I have no intention of skimping on safety gear. I'm probably looking at a leather jacket with armor (would rather be too warm than too cold), no idea about what type of helmet yet, and the rest - well, whatever protects the best, I'm gettin' it!

Glad to hear the shifting is not as bad as I thought. These courses seem to all operate with the premise that you've never touched a bike before so that's good. I was just curious if *reading* about riding mechanics, etc. would help at all, in advance? Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions...

Kenneth_Moore 05-22-2008 04:25 AM

Shad0w, I've kn0wn several brand new riders wh0 have taken the MSF 0r equivalent c0urses and have c0me 0ut 0f them well prepared t0 ride safely 0n the r0ad. It's actually a g00d thing y0u've g0t n0 experience at all; y0ur instruct0r w0n't have t0 break bad habits.

Be sure t0 c0me back and ask what bike t0 get as a new rider. Everyb0dy is just dying to tell y0u all ab0ut it.

trenttheuncatchable 05-22-2008 06:43 AM

Do some bicycle riding as prep if you haven't been on one in a while.

The_AirHawk 05-22-2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 185433)
Be sure t0 c0me back and ask what bike t0 get as a new rider. Everyb0dy is just dying to tell y0u all ab0ut it.

Th@t @n$wer !s e@$y-en0ugh:

B0$$H0$$ if y0u l!ke Cru!$ers; ZX-14 !f y0u're a $p0rtb!ke man............

(@nyth!ng-el$e y0u'll ju$t 0utgr0w !n $!x M0nth$)

BrowningBAR 05-22-2008 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 185455)

Don't make me start typing backwards, again.

Buzglyd 05-22-2008 10:10 AM

20 pushups would help.

Kenneth_Moore 05-22-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 185455)

Fu<k|n& $h0w0ff.

Shad0w 05-22-2008 03:14 PM

Thanks for the replies, even the funny ones! The use of weird characters made me feel right at home. Re: bikes, I'm kind of partial to Honda Shadows (hence the name) from a superficial perspective. Any thoughts on any Shadow models?