Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
jrudolph0227
Registered Member

Default Newbie questions

I am interested in purchasing a Triumph bike but don't know which one to purchase. I am 5'2 140lbs.

-What size bike can I handle? I was looking at the Bonneville, bc I like its simplicity but I don't know if it's too big.

-How much does insurance cost about in the state of NY for basic Motorcycle insurance?

-Is financing a bike the same as financing a car? Whats the average interest rate in financing a bike?
jrudolph0227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Have you ridden before? If not, take the motorcycle safety foundation course in your area FIRST. Then, buy a used bike to practice with, and then ask about Triumphs.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

Unless you are all legs, at 5'2", you will have a good bit of trouble finding a bike of any make that "fits".

AFA Triumphs, you are looking at the Bonneville family. I'd guess they are all too tall for you, but the only way to tell is to find one and mount up. Seats can be modified sometimes to shorten the distance to the ground, but you'll need to do some research.

Concerning insurance and financing, pick a bike you like, and shop around for rates. Purchase price, higher performance and bigger motors equal more premiums.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

No, the America and Speedmaster should be fine. As always, I would remind our reader that seat height is NOT the only factor -- reach to the bars and the controls also is important.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Financing a bike is not the same as financing a car. Interest rates are higher (sometimes much higher) for motorcycle purchases than cars. Why that is, I don't know, but it is what it is. Which is why I don't take out loans on motorcycle purchases. Oh yeah, if you buy a Harley from a dealer (as opposed to buying a Japanese bike from a dealer), you might get an interest rate comparable to purchasing a car. 'Course you might end up paying more for the Harley than you would've for a car
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #6
phoenixfire
Registered Member

"Financing a bike is not the same as financing a car. Interest rates are higher (sometimes much higher) for motorcycle purchases than cars. Why that is, I don't know, but it is what it is. Which is why I don't take out loans on motorcycle purchases."

2 factors:

1- Motorcycles are usually cheaper than cars. The dealer does not want to finance a smaller $ value purchase and thus increase the interest rate.

2- Motorcycles are viewed as a recreational vehicle (ie. transportainment) - people are more likely to default their payments on items that are considered luxury opposed to necessity (eg. cages)