Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #31
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsavina View Post
Did some expermenting on my ride today. I discovered that a very light grip, almost just resting my hands on the grips, produces no numbness or tingling. I also tried raising my 1st finger off the grip, and that produces a lighter grip that works too. I did notice that on a 1/2 mile bumpy road, my hands began to feel a little tingly, because I was gripping slightly tighter, however, after that road, I could relax again, and full feeling returned.

So, I believe it was the "death grip" however, for me, I experience negative effects if I use anything more than about 1/6th of my strength.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, feedback, and info. I am looking forward to more riding as the weather improves and warms up.
You need to change the position of your bars. The current position is hitting the nerve in your palm and causing the tingling.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #32
redsavina
Registered Member

Thats one thing I have not yet tried. When I sit on the bike, and reach forward for the grips, they naturally hit me at the base of my palms, which is probably where the nerve is located. So I believe I should move my bars slightly forward, so the bar hits me in the middle of my palms instead of at the bottom, right? That would mean moving them about 1 and 1/2 inches forward.

I will give that a try next week, as I am going to be out of town till then for work. I will let yall know how it goes.

Thanks again for all the useful feedback.
redsavina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #33
Brighteagle
Registered Member

Numbness can be caused by body position. But most likely it because of vibration. Vibration in motorcycle riding can be caused by many different things. Obviously, the type of bike you have is a factor. If it’s supposed to vibrate, it’s gonna vibrate. But if you have a bike that’s not supposed to vibrate, maybe you need a tune up. In addition to above, have both wheels statically and dynamically balanced. This reduces wobble, increases road holding ability, reduces tire wear and reduces rider fatigue. You should check forks and swing arm for correct operation. Vibration can occur when there is a lack of fork oil and too much side play in the swing arm. Check the pannier box lids for proper fit and that they are locked. Check for worn neck bearings, for a bad motor mount, for tire pressure and tread, and for wheel weight problems. All of these factors contribute to motorcycle seat vibration problems, Also, hand fatigue caused by vibration in the handlebars can be remedied by changing to better handlebar grips. Hope this helps.
Brighteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:50 AM   #34
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighteagle View Post
Numbness can be caused by body position. But most likely it because of vibration. Vibration in motorcycle riding can be caused by many different things. Obviously, the type of bike you have is a factor. If it’s supposed to vibrate, it’s gonna vibrate. But if you have a bike that’s not supposed to vibrate, maybe you need a tune up. In addition to above, have both wheels statically and dynamically balanced. This reduces wobble, increases road holding ability, reduces tire wear and reduces rider fatigue. You should check forks and swing arm for correct operation. Vibration can occur when there is a lack of fork oil and too much side play in the swing arm. Check the pannier box lids for proper fit and that they are locked. Check for worn neck bearings, for a bad motor mount, for tire pressure and tread, and for wheel weight problems. All of these factors contribute to motorcycle seat vibration problems, Also, hand fatigue caused by vibration in the handlebars can be remedied by changing to better handlebar grips. Hope this helps.

Numbness and vibration seem to be a focus area for you.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #35
Brighteagle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Numbness and vibration seem to be a focus area for you.
Not really. Comfortable riding is more my focus. Just want to help folks enjoy their ride. I was having problems with different kinds of riding discomforts, so I did some research on it, and even started publishing articles about it. I love riding my bike, and one of the reasons I love riding is that I can do it without fatigue and pain. And I like talking to other bikers to see what they've done to improve their riding comfort. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #36
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighteagle View Post
Just want to help folks enjoy their ride. I was having problems with different And I like talking to other bikers to see what they've done to improve their riding comfort. Do you have any suggestions?
To be honest, there are so many spammers posting junk here so they can put their links up, I wasn't sure you weren't one of them.

My last bike was a Shovelhead Harley, and it vibrated so hard parts fell off it. The only way I was comfortable on it was to drink heavily before riding. Not recommended.

My Suzuki is very smooth, it's a 1000cc L-twin layout with a 90 cylinder angle. A lot of the guys use the foam grip puppies, but I don't like them. Gel gloves work for me.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #37
Brighteagle
Registered Member

I have never tried the gel gloves, but I've heard they really do help.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

Another effective cure for numb hands is to sell the bike and buy a Triumph Tiger 1050. Then no added insulation is required.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #39
beginner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsavina View Post
I took the MSF riding course last month, and passed the written test to acquire my motorcycle license. I then purchased a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50 with 3600 miles on it from the original owner...

Is this hand numbing something that a new rider needs to get used to? Is there something wrong with my bike? Could it be my gloves? Wondering if anyone has some insight into this matter, because I could see it getting dangerous if my hands are getting numb when I ride.
Numb hands on the grips is a common issue for new riders. It was an issue for me for the first 12 weeks and an important lesson when I finally figured it out.

We have a motor balance system, vestibular, neural, visual, that monitors body position, spacial orientation, etc. and allows us to walk, among other things. It's fly-by-wire, we give commands, the balance system tries to carry them out and keep us alive at the same time. It's mostly subconscious by design. When you try to do something with an element of danger and it requires unfamiliar balance skills your body will tend to stiffen. Examples are skiing, horseback riding, and riding a motorcycle. Being stiff on a motorcycle typically translates to numb hands on the grips. In horseback riding it's saddle sores.

When your hands are numb on the grips your motor balance system is telling you you're in unfamiliar territory, taking risks. Pay attention to that.

You bought a 600 pound bike, not ideal for a beginner learning balance skills. If the bike had less mass it would be easier to feel and learn to respond to the small lean angle changes near zero degrees That's an important aptitude.

Go to a parking lot and do 15 minutes of slow ride practice on 10 of your next 14 riding days and I garrantee you'll feel a difference in all your riding after that. If you keep on with slow balance practice you won't be sorry if you care about skill on the bike. Motor police do it, trials riders do it. WHen you understand why they do, when you can feel it in your riding, you'll do the same.

The motor balance system is so poorly adapted to the bike in the early riding days there's a good chance you'll drop the bike in slow ride practice so may be wait some weeks before starting that and may be do the early attempts on grass where a drop won't hurt as much.

Practiced slow ride skills
Southeast Police Motorcycle Rodeo Slow Ride Video & Photos - Pompano Beach, FL - YouTube

Unpraticed slow ride skills
"Slow Ride" - YouTube

A kid kick starts the bike from the pegs
Balancing, to start up! - YouTube
beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #40
Brighteagle
Registered Member

Nicely put, Beginner. Good info. I believe in proper body position while riding. I have begun to write articles on comfortable motorcycle riding.
Your advice here can help any rider, beginning or experienced. I especially like the slow riding skills recommendation. I watched the Ride Like a Pro dvd over and over when I was learning how to ride. It made a big difference in slow manuevering. That was the hardest part for me. Slow turns. Thanks for your input.