Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
MichaelPadway
Registered Member

Default Lawyer Offering Emergency Braking Tips for Preventing Injuries

The following emergency braking tips, offered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, may also reduce your chance of injury:

1. Try practicing applying both brakes to their maximum, just short of locking them up. Try this in an open, well-surfaced location, like a clean parking lot. Better to learn in a controlled environment than in an emergency situation. Use cones to measure the distance until you stop. Keep practicing to get that distance down.

2. You don’t want to be learning this technique in an emergency. Keep practicing at least until you can stop from 50 mph in less than 42 feet. If you have ABS, you should be able to do this without the ABS kicking in.

3. Look where you’re going, not where you’ve been. This is the Zen of motorcycling. Your head will take you were it is looking, so don’t look at that parked car on your right!

4. You never want to lock the front brake; once you do you no longer control it. If you hear the front wheel chirp, release the brake smoothly, then immediately break again, but without locking it up.

5. If the rear wheel locks up, do not release the brake abruptly, but do release it slowly and smoothly. If your handlebars are straight, you will skid in a straight line, which is hopefully a good thing. Your most important priority is to get stopped!

Last edited by sachiwilson : 04-09-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Good points. No ads though.
MichaelPadway is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2008, 04:42 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

And if those tips don't work, we sue the motorcycle manufacturer for unsafe design, right? F@cking cool!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:33 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Um, gee, well thanks for sharing, Mike. Next week, Mike's going to fill us in on how to safely refuel that motorcycle without blowing up the bike, the gas station, or yourself.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:50 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Um, gee, well thanks for sharing, Mike. Next week, Mike's going to fill us in on how to safely refuel that motorcycle without blowing up the bike, the gas station, or yourself.
I'm still trying to figure out what the added significance of having a lawyer give motorcycle riding advice might be. I'm much more interested in how many years and miles of m/c experience the advisor has.

I guess I should be used to it, though. At work we keep getting "safety tips" on all sorts of subjects from people with absolutely no experience in any of those subjects. I love the one's about how to put gas in your car, drive on ice. The tips on motorcycle safety usually come from some idiot 'expert' in HR who just got out of college and never rode a bike in her life. Some of my favorites are: "never use your rear brake when turning", "cars stop quicker than bikes" and "the roads are more slippery when they are wet." LOL!

"Don't drink paint."
"Alcoholic beverages can cause loss of judgement."

Where would we be without lawyers?

Last edited by seruzawa : 04-10-2008 at 05:52 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Yoooz guys is are such cynical b@stards!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

He forgot to ad the proper procedure for "laying 'er down" in an emergancy and everyone knows you can't use the front brake...why that'll toss you right over the handlebars !!!!!!

Typical Ambulance Chaser, probably tryin' to salt the pot a little...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Yeah, he was. That's what I deleted.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
everyone knows you can't use the front brake...why that'll toss you right over the handlebars !!!!!!
Its sort of sad thats what my grandfather and dad both taught me when i was little. My dad rode with out the front brake all his life, only had one accident and it involved a tree in the middle of the woods. Then again the biggest bike he rode was under 200ccs and he didn't see too much road time.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
bbtowns
Founding Member

Default Your Grandad was right (off road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Its sort of sad thats what my grandfather and dad both taught me when i was little. My dad rode with out the front brake all his life, only had one accident and it involved a tree in the middle of the woods. Then again the biggest bike he rode was under 200ccs and he didn't see too much road time.
Your grandad and dad taught you right for the dirt they were riding. Off road riding emphasizes the rear brake a lot more than street riding does, it's just incredibly easy to lock up the front. For those with Long Way Down, Ewan does a classic front brake lockup crash in the movie. Doesn't work so well on the street though.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

My dad insisted I learn to stop with the front brake, I'm glad he did. This was back in the cable operated drum brake days so locking the wheel wasn't as much an issue as now. When I started street riding I had to learn to modulate it a little.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote