Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Saffaman91
Registered Member

Exclamation New Rider? Read this thread FIRST!

These forums get a lot of questions from new riders or returning riders who want opinions as to what bike would be best. The old hands here give pretty much the same advice every time -- take a training class (the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course is a good choice, and available all over the US), get full protective gear (a full-face helmet, leathers or armored mesh jackets and pants, leather gloves, and boots that cover your ankles), and find a smaller, used bike to learn on.

That said, we're merging all the "new rider" threads into this one. Read it and learn, and if you have any questions after all of this, then fire away! And welcome to motorcycling and MO!

Sachiwilson
MO Moderator

----------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

my name is Robbie, I'm 16, so i obviously and lacking in experience with motorcycles. But I love anything with two wheels, and am going off to college next year, so I want to buy a motorcycle for commuting. Now I realize that I dont have any experience with motorcycles, other than riding dirt-bikes, and that i need to be careful picking my first bike. I think its safe to say that most of you can sympathize with my hope that i could find a "sport" bike to buy. But I'm thinking that most "sport" bikes i have looked at so far have way to much power for me at this point, not to mention that i have to fund myself seeing how my parients being good parients told me only way i could do it is if i pay for it haha.
So i am just hoping that someone could throw in some good advice as to what bike to buy and what gear to buy. Such as jacket, helmet, etc.. .
Thanks.

Last edited by BrowningBAR : 03-07-2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Introduction to New Rider Thread.
Saffaman91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

This is an easy one. Pick up a Dual Purpose bike like the KX250 or a used Sherpa. Take the MSF safety course. Ride the DP until you are competent. You might just decide to stick with a DP. It's just as stupid to start with a rice rocket on the street is it would be to start with a CR500 on the dirt.

For gear you need a good jacket with armor pads, textile is fine. Ankle high boots, jump boots are good and cheaper than all the stuff labelled "motorcycle". Armored pants are good too, once again textile is fine. And most of all a helmet that fits. Gloves, mx gloves are fine and you already have those.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
This is an easy one. Pick up a Dual Purpose bike like the KX250 or a used Sherpa. Take the MSF safety course. Ride the DP until you are competent. You might just decide to stick with a DP. It's just as stupid to start with a rice rocket on the street is it would be to start with a CR500 on the dirt.

For gear you need a good jacket with armor pads, textile is fine. Ankle high boots, jump boots are good and cheaper than all the stuff labelled "motorcycle". Armored pants are good too, once again textile is fine. And most of all a helmet that fits. Gloves, mx gloves are fine and you already have those.
He's right, kid. Stay away from the idea of a sportbike until you're in your twenties (at the very least). The bike suggestion above is a good one, If you have the money another would be the Suzuki DRZ400SM. You should be able to find good used ones for right around $4000. You can get Dual Purpose fun and sticky street tires (welcome to the world of supermoto). Foot out, dirbike feeling, fun on the street. Cheap to insure, cheap to operate, great gas mileage. OR buy an India made Enfield and just go old school on people. I hear the 08 models will be fuel injected. Cost more, but I insure 4 or 5 college guys that own them. Outside of some break-in issues (that were dealer resolved) the guys seem to like them a lot.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
maladg
Registered Member

Saffaman, the old dudes are right, but then I'm an old guy, too. Do as I did, start with a dual purpose bike. Oh, but you say: "street riding for me, commuting don't-cha-know. Just change your tires - use something like Avon Distanzas...

You need some dirt time to see what bikes feel like when they slide around a bit - MUCH leass risky than learning about the vehicular dynamics on the street. Much less. And fun, too.

Dirt too far away? Still do DP with streetish tires, do the MSF or whatever and again - have fun!!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:26 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

If you're off to college, maybe you should consider a scooter for now? They can be a lot of fun, you can ride and park them most anywhere on campus, and if it gets wrecked or stolen it won't be as bad. The skills you learn on a scooter will transfer to a larger bike.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

If you're looking for a sport bike, keep in mind that plastic costs! Insurance costs for any bike with a fairing will be much higher than they are for naked bikes.

That said, you can find some good naked bikes that are reasonably sporting without breaking your budget. Both Kawasaki and Suzuki make 500 cc bikes that might do you well.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

You're going to be riding this bike on the street, and possibly on the highway. You can't really go wrong with a dual purpose bike, but I still think a street bike is a better choice. If you have very little money, get a used Ninja 250. If you have a little more, get a used Ninja 500.

And even though you've ridden dirt bikes, take the MSF course, and get some decent gear.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
Saffaman91
Registered Member

thanks for the advice guys. Im still trying to figure out what my income is going to be haha. I will have to balence time to work with time I spend in practice and competing, and obviously school work. But I can see why some of you think that a duel purpose bike like the suzuki DRZ400SM would be good for me, b/c in all honesty it does everything i need it to do while still being fun (which of course is important haha). Then I, being a teen ager, still lean in favor in getting a sport bike. So I have been looking into the ninja 250 and 500 but im not sure whether or not it would be a good choice or not. If anyone has any opinion on what they would buy or what might be an apropriate bike for a person in my position im all ears.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
Saffaman91
Registered Member

is this a good bike possibility?

2007 Hyosung Comet GT250R
Old 10-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
Sledpilot
Founding Member

Default My 2c

Robbie,

It is hard to advice you on which bike would be good for you w/o knowing your skill level. Since you mentioned the dirt experience the super moto would be a natural fit.

Most of the advice given by others was really good. The best was to get some training like MSF course and some good gear (helmet jacket etc).
The MSF instructors should be able to pick up no your skill level and give you some advice as what to get for your first street ride.

As far as the advice goes you can't go wrong with Ninja 250 or 500. But if the word Ninja is enough to sent your parents to ICU look at DR400SM or some naked rides. Honda Hawk 650 would be a cool ride (the single sided swingarm adds to the cool factor). The Hawks are rare so it might not be easy to find.

When you go for the MSF class ask your instructors how would they feel about you on something like a Suzuki SV650 or the Kawasaki Versys.
Kawi is new so you'd have to cough up more Yankee Greenbacks for it, but the SV you can find real cheap if you look for it.
Sledpilot is offline   Reply With Quote