Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #81
pushrod
Founding Member

+1 on the SV650SA co-worker just bought an '05 off eBay for $3600. Fender eliminator kit and trick pipe, low miles.Another co-worker (female) started last year on a Ninja 250, and rapidly tired of it. She bought a SV650S and loves it. She's talking about tracking it.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #82
seruzawa
The Toad

This is your first bike, right? If so I won't help you buy a 600SS. Period. They are terrible bikes for new riders. It would be analogous to advising a new pilot to buy a P-51. Kill yourself on your own.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #83
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Does anybody think I need to abuse him further, or do you guys have this one handled?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #84
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Jump right in. I doubt we could abuse him enough.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #85
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm in! Hey dude, let us know which one you get so when we see that newspaper article about another moron that just splattered himself on his (fill in the blank) 600, we can remember that we told you not to get one. Have fun for that short time in between though!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #86
aju
Registered Member

Default A new spin on the same old tall tale

Hey there. I'm looking to get into motorcycling. I'm 30 yrs old, an avid road cyclist (bicycling - but it gives me good insight into the adversarial relationship between bikers and cagers) and have a young child at home. Point is that I'm looking to get into riding for economical reasons as well as because I find a certain freedom in travelling without a cage.

I'm 6'6" tall and 220 pounds right now (I plan to drop a few before the riding season really begins). I'm trying to gauge the kind of bike I should get. I prefer the UJM or naked standard style (nighthawk, sv650, gs500e, etc), and the dual sports typically recommended for tall people. I am mechanically inclined - in fact I sort of relish the idea of finding an older bike in need of some work, getting it running and then getting around on it. Not sure it's a practical way to get into it though.

I'm planning on taking the MSF course in March, so I guess I'll get first hand experience with fit on a nighthawk. My length is more in my torso than my legs (36 inch cycling inseam - my jeans are a 34 inch inseam).

Any opinions? Thanks in advance
aju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #87
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Why, everyones entitled to my opinion son.....

Funny how bicycling gives you a good background with motorcycles, I've put many miles on a 10 speed. when I got out of the Navy I was 21, ..I had a 440 Plymouth Fury but could barely afford gas for it. The solution was to ride my 10 speed eveywhere I went and save the car for dates and hauling groceries, Between the Schwinn and Bus's I got around pretty good. Once I got steady work I bought a KZ750 Kawasaki and rode it but I had a ball on the 10 speed and kept in good shape as well.....

Anyway, for your size I'd look for a DL650 Suzuki Wee Strom, plenty of room and good managable powerband, that or a KLR 650 Kawasaki. Both should work out very well for you with the added benefit the KLR's have been around for ever so there's a wide range and lots of aftermarket support to take advantage of.
Good Luck and ride safe..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 02-26-2008 at 09:23 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #88
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Ditto those recommendations.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #89
acecycleins
Founding Member

Go daul purpose. You can buy in cheap. Go for miles (50 or better mpg) and have extra cheap insurance.
Suzuki DR650 for the more off-road inclined
Kawi KLR for the more road-going
Old 02-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #90
seruzawa
The Toad

You are correct in considering the Nighthawk 750. A good learner if you have the self-discipline to keep off the throttle at first. Also an excellent all-rounder that is very low maintenance and reliable as a stone.

Also, +1 on the DP bike. You can't go wrong either way.