Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #71
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default From The Insurance Guy

1- Don't believe that riding any sportbike is easy. Keep other bikes on your radar. Roadsters (Ducati Monster, BMW R1150R, Honda 599) are great bikes and Streetsport, also referred to as semi-neked (Triumph Street Triple, Suzuki SV, Yamaha FZ6, Hyosung GT650, Kawi Ninja 500, 250 and 650) are more than up to the task.
2- Age is everything- if you're young and looking for a "sportbike" you will usually be left with being able to afford only liability coverage. Meaning- if you wreck your SOL
3- After you have secured your M class endorsement from attending an accredited MSF class start looking into Track Day events to improve your skills.
4- DO NOT TAKE SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO RIDE FROM YOU FRIENDS. With few exceptions, they all are squids and will undoubtedly get you wrecked or worse killed.
5- Keep the first bike simple and cheap- As you will drop it at least once in the first 60 days- try to cap the price around $3500 ot so.
6- Get ready to read completely cheap shots from this crew. Most are doing it for your own good and take what you see with a gain of salt. Honestly though, These guys are all seasoned riders that sometimes come off as gruff. You'll get used to it. Most of there opinions will help once you navigate through sarcasm.

Good Luck and feel free to contact me if you need ideas on insurance. I may not have a licence to work in your state but I do know the best companies once you narrow down the range

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #72
OnlyISay
Registered Member

Hey thanks for the information... I will be training at a legit MSF class in April, but am trying to learn as much as I can prior to... Youre right the guys out here are really friendly... If I am not really looking to spend more than 2000 on a rocket and just have a cool bike that I can stay alive on, what are some simple tips in selecting the right bike (say of those suggested)? I know to get one around that price it may have higher mileage, what will this impact? Any other information would be much appreciated!

Thanks
OnlyISay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #73
acecycleins
Founding Member

Things to buy cheap: 1992-2002 Honda CB750 Nighthawk or CBR600F (if you gotta have a sportbike); 1992-2002 Suzuki Bandit 600 or Katana 600, 1999-2004 Suzuki SV650(s), ANY 1994-2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 or 500, Yamaha FZR600, FJ600 or FZX (Fazer), Ducati 620 Monster (for around $3000)
Depending on how much you spend you could keep Liability coverage on any of them for around $100 a year. Maybe less, but depends on where you live.

Values from the NADA or KBB will only get you so far- in the south bikes routinely go for more than "book" because we have longer riding seasons and people tend to take care of their bikes in these areas compaired to some Northern states.

Last edited by acecycleins : 02-08-2008 at 10:29 AM.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #74
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

So, what is it about the "rocket" that appeals to you? The looks? The power? Your friends? What is it?

You should start thinking SERIOUSLY about finding a bike that is appropriate for a beginner, which is what you ARE. "Crotch rockets" are NOT beginner bikes. They are difficult to control, and without control they are lethal.

The guys here are giving you good advice on what your first bike should be. Learn on a suitable bike. Get some skills riding on the street. And *then* if you so choose, with some experience and brains behind your choice, find a sport bike.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #75
OnlyISay
Registered Member

Great information on the bikes... I will look into each. Is there any thing that you would suggest in regards to preferance with buying from a dealer or a private seller? As i am looking to buy cheap and tool around and learn... though as the others above dont think learning on a rocket is smart... but its what i want...

As far as insurance goes it was looking like $30 a month as I live near Downtown Minneapolis.

Jake
Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #76
OnlyISay
Registered Member

As far as why a rocket is what I want, obviously like the look and style captured by a rocket. Honestly not so interested in the power... as I have been told it doesnt take much... this is why I am only looking for a bike with enough to get me around town (not looking to do more than 80MPH on it... I will leave the speeding if I so choose to my car. I will be taking a course on riding and getting my license after passing the test. This will be done on a regular cruiser that they provide so i know that the transition between a cruiser and say a ninja will be difficult but if I keep my practicing to the back roads and during minimal traffic I think that I will be able to build my confidence on the riding slowly.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #77
ejis
Founding Member

If you MUST have a sportbike for your first bike (honestly, there's no good reason for this since you can sell your first bike for no loss, usually, and buy whatever you want later...), look at something older, well used, and cheap. A CBR600F2 or F3, FZR600 (do not get anywhere near a YZF anything), GSX600 (the Katana, not the GSXR), GS500F, ZX6e (not a 6R), EX500, are some sportbikes that are not entirely unreasonable for a newbie. However, when you drop it, all that plastic you love to look at will look like a cracked up pile, and remind you of all the great advice you got here.

A fairing-less bike is much better for your first ride, and there are many out there that look great, ride great, and are cheap to boot.

Whatever you choose, good luck, be safe, and welcome!
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:04 AM   #78
OnlyISay
Registered Member

Arrow CBR 600F vs GSX-R 600

Hey all,

Yes back again, even though many of you took your turns verbaly abusing me, haha, and no i didnt give up on the sportbike idea. I am looking for some personal experiences with the two bikes noted the Honda CBR 600F vs the Suzuki GSX-R 600. From the reviews I have read thus far the GSX is a little more powerful and sporty with a wider body and a good feel cruising on the interstate. However the CBR i have been told is a more reliable bike and all around a better bike to own.

Can I get your feedback as to which bike makes the better purchase and why? Again I am not looking at buying either new so keep that in mind if the older models have significant bearing on your opinions.

Thanks!

OnlyISay
Old 02-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #79
acecycleins
Founding Member

1- verbally was misspelled.
2- you really like abuse- don't you?

They are quite different from one another in terms of what the companies shoot for in the market place. F bikes were Honda's answer to the "all-around" sport bike. The Gixxer was always more focused on track use. The F bike will be more forgiving in driver error- which you will undoubtedly need. The Gixxer will have better re-sale and be easier to find after market parts.

Here's the real deal- INSURANCE will be your downfall. Neither bike will be kind to you. When reality sets in the bikes you should look at are the Suzuki SV650s w/ lower fairing kit or Kawasaki Ninja 500. The SV will be a better overall value and last longer in the stable than the baby Ninja. You can buy either for less than $3500.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #80
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

If you're a new rider, you shouldn't be on one of these bikes. But if you're bound and determined to get one, you need to go to a motorcycle dealer that has used bikes (since you want to buy used) and sit on a few. Gixxers (GSX-Rs) have more radical ergonomics than CBRs, which is obvious when you sit on one. As a rule, sportbikes don't feel good cruising on the highway, though bar risers can help a little with that. But any six hundred sportbike (with factory sprockets) is going to be turning high revs on the interstate.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote