Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   New Rider? Read this thread FIRST! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/7428-new-rider-read-thread-first.html)

sachiwilson 01-15-2008 10:19 PM

You will be able to buy an EX250 new and sell it for almost as much as you paid for it. Those little Ninjas are good bikes.

acecycleins 01-16-2008 07:19 AM

You're looking at cruisers but is that reeeeally your style? Try to find a used Suzuki DRZ400S. That way you can sit up tall and proud and have the ability to ride off road when desired. If you're convinced that street riding is the only way to go look for a used Kawasaki Ninja 500. If cruiser style is the only way- look for a used Yamaha v-star 650 or a Kawasaki VN800. Personally, if I were in "learning" mode I'd go for the DRZ because it's versitle and you won't cry so much after you've dropped it. Plastic is way cheaper to replace than metal.

mscuddy 01-16-2008 08:46 AM

Get an old Kawasaki in-line 4 cylinder anything. You'll wear out before it does. Great starter bike.

2008CBR1000RR 01-20-2008 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm 6' (200+). I bought a 1995 Honda Magna for my first bike. Good supply of power. More than fast enough. Handles great. You should be able to get one for around $2500. It's a 4 cylinder liquid cooled. Here is a pic of a red one. I don't know about 500 miles a day, but 200 miles a day was not too bad. Hope this helps.

acecycleins 01-21-2008 09:36 AM

As long as you're fine with riding bikes with 20yo technology you should be fine on any of them. The 500s will be less buzzy at highway speeds, however. The Suz has a better look, but the Kawi is a better performer. Insurance wise- any are fine. Don't look for Progressive if you're under 25. If you want some names of companies that can help hit me on my email and I will send you back a list of companies that will treat you right. acemocycle@yahoo.com
Kirk

bbtowns 01-21-2008 11:02 AM

Those are all good bikes to start with, and each would make a good commuter and Sunday afternoon back roads ride. If you were focussed on making a 500 mile/day tourer out of it I'd go with the GS, but different bodies like different bikes, so sit on them. You can do 500 miles on anything, but the question is how much you'll like it afterwards. I did three 650 mile days on my Tuono, but wouldn't recommend it, for my V-Strom it's no problem.

istunn 01-24-2008 12:02 AM

Deciding on a my first bike, and its been a long time comin.

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and new to bikes. I'm 24 years old, 5'10" and 160lbs. I'm a pharmacy student and halfway through my 2nd year. I have been wanting ride a bike since I was in high school but just didn't have the resources. I am going to take the MSF training within the next month and planning to buy a bike.

A buddy of mine just completed his MSF training and told me that they used the buell 500's to practice on. He ended up gettin a 1200.

I for one, am not that crazy. I want to get a bike that I can ride for the next 2.5 years while I'm in school. First off I want to let you guys know that I'm not the biker that will attempt tricks or ride 120 mph down the highway. Most of my friends down here started off with around 500 bikes, and they said to get a bike under 600. I have been shopping around the area and found a 2006 Ninja 250 for about 1700. On the other hand, I found a 2003 Yamaha YZF-R6 for $3000 and a 2001 Honda CBR600F4i for $3000 also.

My questions are:
1.) Will I be disappointed with the Ninja 250 after riding the Buell 500?

2.) Are the Yamaha and Honda bikes too advanced for me right now, or are they okay?

3.) Are the seating dimensions that much different for the Ninja 250 and the Yamaha and Honda bikes?

4.) Are the prices for these bikes overpriced or within range?

Any advice will be much appreciated. I am currently leaning towards the Ninja 250, but I don't want to go through the hassle of selling and upgrading a bike. I will use the bike to travel 45 miles to a bigger city of 250,000 people during my time here so I'm wondering if the 250 will be strong enough to meet my needs.

longride 01-24-2008 05:49 AM

My questions are:
1.) Will I be disappointed with the Ninja 250 after riding the Buell 500?

No.

2.) Are the Yamaha and Honda bikes too advanced for me right now, or are they okay?

Too Advanced. Stick with the Ninja 250.

3.) Are the seating dimensions that much different for the Ninja 250 and the Yamaha and Honda bikes?

Yes. The Ninja 250 is not a race replica. The F4 is more comfy than the R6, but check the answer to question 2.

4.) Are the prices for these bikes overpriced or within range?

Depends on where you live, but the prices look fine.

Kenneth_Moore 01-24-2008 07:09 AM

What about the ZX-14? Fairly comfy ergos, managable power, 1/4 miles in the mid 9's, and some nice color choices this year. They smoothed out the bottom end power with some rework on the injectors; should be quite nice for a new guy starting out. Not to mention it's a bike he's not going to find lacking in power a few weeks after he gets it.

Vikeys...hmm, where's that refill...

12er 01-24-2008 09:49 AM

Go with the 250, in town its more than enough. The other two have the same HP as a Honda Civic with 1/8th the weight. As for the Buell B-last there is a shootout on the site I believe the 250 is in it too, if not its the ninja 500 which would be a great choice also. Search the shootouts from about 5 years back for more info.