Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #431
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assaultvehicle95 View Post
Oh i might add,
Welcome.

I might add that it's best to post your question in ONLY ONE place.

Please see the answers in the other thread.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #432
assaultvehicle95
Registered Member

Yeah, sorry... im also new to the forum world.
assaultvehicle95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:54 AM   #433
pljones
Registered Member

Okay, I read this entire thread like you guys recommended. I'm 38 and just getting into riding. I am taking the safety course in two weeks, and I'm looking to buy my first bike. I'm too old to want go fast, so I'm looking for a cruiser. I'm 6' 2" / 215lbs. I was thinking about a V Star custom for a first bike. Any suggestions? I've noticed you guys like to talk smack, so don't hold back. I've been active duty military for the past 20 years, I'm used to the verbal abuse.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #434
cloud9
Registered Member

One of the main questions I have is about finding a fair price to offer a seller.

Many of the ads I see especially around the spring/summer time seem to add the "it's summer and I can charge an extra $500-1000 over Nada/ kbb tax" into their asking price.

Granted if i find a bike with accessories I like I'm willing to pay a fair amount over book value but my formula is this.

Take the NADA value +KBB value then ask for something in between. Sound good or is there something else I'm missing.

Insane are called those who deal with death

Masters are called those who seal the deal

Legends are called anyone of those who die in their quest.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #435
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
I'm 6' 2" / 215lbs. I was thinking about a V Star custom for a first bike.

I've noticed you guys like to talk smack, so don't hold back.
Truth IS that there is very little "smack" or outright abuse that goes on here......unless maybe you went WAY back to some folks that aren't here much anymore......OR read some of the political threads in "off topic."

A really quick Google search indicates that Vstar's run all the way from 250 CCs to 1300. For a guy your size, a 250 is probably too small, a 650 would probably be just right, maybe even a 950......but no bigger than that.

Suzuki makes a nice 800, known as the M50.
Honda Shadows are good too; 750 is the most common size.

You will know a LOT more about what size might be good for you after you take the course. It likely will be on a 250......or less.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #436
chopsteeks
Registered Member

Unless you are planning to ride 2 up, 650-800 cc is plenty of bike. In fact the 800cc are a lot more nimble and powerful.

I just picked a 'new' used bike as I decided to go back to riding again.

My first bike was a 600cc sportsbike. Though I had years of dirt bike experience....so the 600cc I felt was just right. But a skiing accident where I broke my wrist really made it difficult for me to continue to ride a sports bike for a longer time, I sold it and quit riding for a while.

I recently acquired a '99 Intruder 1400 with 7000 miles for $2800.

While shopping for a new used bike, there are lots of great deals out there. Hardly ridden bikes from riders who bought these bikes as their first bikes and are now moving to mid size cruisers.

There are lots of bikes in the 600cc - 1000cc bikes that have very few mileage on them.

But the '99 Intruder came up and can't walk away from it as the condition was pristine. Owner was a professional person who maintained the bike very well ---- not a single scratch on the bike.
chopsteeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:29 AM   #437
pljones
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I plan on using it for a commuter. I trave about 90 miles each way (couple times a week). I do like all the V-Stars from the 650 to 950cc range, so I'll be sure to check them out. I appreciate the assistance. Once again, thanks!
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:51 AM   #438
flintliland
Registered Member

Default Motorcycles

Yeah, I am also new to riding motorcycles, I appreciate some tips given here. Been riding just for a month maybe.
flintliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #439
tek4
Registered Member

Default yet another noob

i figure rather than start a brand new thread i'll just ask in here. hopefully this is in the right place.

I recently completed Harley's "Riders Edge" course at the end of may and am now looking at getting a bike. For the time being i'm looking more at sport bikes. While i would ideally like a triumph daytona i know it is not going to happen. After flip flopping between reading posts on here and talking with people i haved decided to go with either a ninja 250 or the new cbr250.

what i'm asking here is for opinions of you all that have had experience with both/either bike.

some of the reviews i've read said that they can be a little uncomfy for taller people (I'm 6'3 and about 200lbs). For the rider course i took we were on Buell Blasts (if that helps at all).

If i go ninja i would like an 08 or newer just mainly because of the updated looks. if i go cbr250 then i realize i will have to get a new one seeing how i can't find any used ones right now. A few other things i have considered too (and please feel free to "put in my spot" with any of this). I like the digital speedo better on the cbr than the non-digital on the ninja. I like the way the exhaust looks on the ninja than the cbr, along with the mirrors.

I realize these are all cosmetic details and can probably be fixed once i own the bike.

One other thing i was wondering about was the carbureted ninja vs the fuel injected cbr. Thoughts on both carbureted and non? The bike would be my main mode of transportation. I live in NM so its sunny and dry 360 days of the year. from my understanding the carbureted bikes need time to warm up when its a little cooler out, true?

i think this is about it for now.

please don't hold anything back, if you think i'm being totally dumb let me know. I don't take offense to anything and i'm looking forward to hearing all your opinions.
tek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #440
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek4 View Post
i figure rather than start a brand new thread i'll just ask in here. hopefully this is in the right place.

some of the reviews i've read said that they can be a little uncomfy for taller people (I'm 6'3 and about 200lbs).
No it really isn't the right place.
You should start your own thread so we don't clutter this one up.

At 6'3" and ~ 200, I think you will be happier on something just a bit bigger .......like a Ninja 500 maybe. This has been discussed in other "first bike" threads.

We can discuss it more if you make your own thread.