Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   New Rider? Read this thread FIRST! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/7428-new-rider-read-thread-first.html)

styleesuk 09-20-2010 09:51 AM

Thank You For Great Information. I'm New Rider. That's Very Useful Information For Me. Again Thanks.....

kleif 09-20-2010 11:43 PM

I have been looking into the ninja 250 and 500, but i'm not sure whether or not it would be a good choice or not. if anyone can tell me?

paynetrain 09-26-2010 06:54 AM

New to motorcycles

I'm not exactly a youngster but am suddenly having the urge to start riding a motorcycle. I really want a cruiser style bike and I am looking at used bikes. I am interested in the older styles because they seem to be in the price range I'm needing. Which is a better type the Honda magna or Yamaha Maxim? 80s vintage. I notice the magna is liquid cooled ant the maxims are air cooled is that a big deal? Im really glad to join this site and hope to be here for a long time to come. I found this one on craigslist for 899 seems almost too good to be true, might go take a look at it this week if its not gone before I can get to it.Its an 86 magna 700.

901Degrees 10-08-2010 08:23 AM

hello everyone.. am newbie here.. i signed up primarily to learn something about motorcycles and maybe get friends here..

THnaks!

Yiannis Sioulis 10-19-2010 07:40 AM

seruzawa 10-19-2010 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paynetrain (Post 249869)
I'm not exactly a youngster but am suddenly having the urge to start riding a motorcycle. I really want a cruiser style bike and I am looking at used bikes. I am interested in the older styles because they seem to be in the price range I'm needing. Which is a better type the Honda magna or Yamaha Maxim? 80s vintage. I notice the magna is liquid cooled ant the maxims are air cooled is that a big deal? Im really glad to join this site and hope to be here for a long time to come. I found this one on craigslist for 899 seems almost too good to be true, might go take a look at it this week if its not gone before I can get to it.Its an 86 magna 700.

Avoid the early (pre-1987) Honda V-4s like the plague. They are terrible bikes with weak transmissions and valve gear. 80's Kawasaki and Yamaha 4s are bulletproof. Some of the Suzukis from that era have alternator issues.

The_AirHawk 10-19-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 251078)
Avoid the early (pre-1987) Honda V-4s like the plague. They are terrible bikes with weak transmissions and valve gear. 80's Kawasaki and Yamaha 4s are bulletproof. Some of the Suzukis from that era have alternator issues.

Hell, some of the Hondas from that and the next-two decades have "alternator issues".......

Of course, Honda took the typical German Approach to those issues "Our Engineering is SOUND - there IS NO Alternator/Rectumfriar Issue!"

Adrenaline195 10-26-2010 10:26 AM

If your off to college than you would definitely need a scooter.
The cross between a scooter and a sport bike is Yamaha Tmax 500cc.
It has an excellent breaking system (ABS) and it is easy to use.

assaultvehicle95 04-30-2011 01:23 AM

Hi everyone,

I am a 24 year old guy, 6'3" 275lbs. Ive finally decided to get a bike and am lost when it comes to what to buy. I am going to take the MSF Course and whatnot.
I have wanted a harley VROD since they came out and finally am financially stable enough to do it. I also have been looking at the Suzuki Boulevard C109R (1800).
Basically, ive narrowed it down to two... a New 2008 Suzuki Boulevard or a 2009 Harley Night Rod with 2k miles.
If i am going way out of my league here, let me know, im not afraid of a little constructive criticism, I would like any and all opinions i could get.

Thanks in advance!

assaultvehicle95 04-30-2011 01:25 AM

Oh i might add, i have NO street bike experience, ive ridden ATVs alot, but i know it is absolutely nothing alike. Ive ridden dirt bikes a couple times, but not much.