Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #411
Mowhawk gnade
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Jeff.
I am looking to resale value as well as buying a bike that I can handle.
the Kawi 800 was manageable. I'm snappy on the clutch and killed it 2 x on my ride around the block. as I get used to the clutch and the friction zone I think I can do fine on that bike.
the shadow may be too much for me but I wouln't know till I ride it if the seller lets me.
I plan on taking things nice and slow.
I waited till I was old and mature enough to even consider a motorcycle.
I sold a 300ZXTT to get the money for this bike.
I had my speedy fun and now I just want to cruise.
I am starting with a bigger bike because I don't want to have issues on the freeway when I get to the point where I can ride there comfortably.
(I take the safty class in sept and am not legally alowed to ride on the freeway till I get my full endorsement)
but I would like to get in some practice before the class starts.
I live in a nice flat subdavision where it's 25mph.
and I am next to the wandering country roads of indiana. so I'll have plenty to work on before thinking about freeway riding.
if I am able to get a 800vulcan or an 1100 shadow for 3 k then it seems a better choice than a smaller bike that I wouldn't nessessarily get as much for in resale.
As far as learning curve goes I am confidant in my ability to learn.
I am a drummer by trade and have decent corodnation.
I have good balance and I am going to take it slow and easy as far as learning these machines.
the nissan tought me to respect power(that car was scary) 12 sec in a 1/4@ 108mph.
so as long as it feels like a manageable bike I think I'm going to buy it.
any advice or things to look out for as a new rider on a larger machine?
Mowhawk gnade is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #412
acecycleins
Founding Member

If you are looking at early 2000 1000-1400 cc bikes there are many available for around $3k. The easiest to off in case of emergency will be a Shadow. But Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom service intervals are spread farther requiring fewer dollars to maintain. I prefer the Yamaha because it has a better overall profile for my style.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #413
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Ignore "Resale Value" - no bike is an "Investment". Get the bike that you can use, that fits YOU, that YOU can handle. Preferrably as light and low-powered as possible.

If you like Motorcycling, you'll get your Value out of riding the bike, no matter what brand or model.

If not, you won't.

It really is that simple.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #414
Brokenthoughts
Registered Member

Greetings everyone,

I am a first time poster/rider looking for some info. I am scheduled up to take lessons for the MSF class in upcoming weeks and I was curious to find out if there are weight limits with the Kawasaki ninja 250. I am a big boy 5'9 about 275-280lbs

Also I see so many people who ride around with there mp3 players on or ipods, are they retarded? or do helmets muffle sound that bad you do not really hear anything other then the loud bike?
Brokenthoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #415
weskty22
Registered Member

Default thanks,

thank you for that knowledge...
safe riding is great..
Old 08-01-2010, 04:38 AM   #416
33 cent
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladg View Post
Saffaman, the old dudes are right, but then I'm an old guy, too. Do as I did, start with a dual purpose bike. Oh, but you say: "street riding for me, commuting don't-cha-know. Just change your tires - use something like Avon Distanzas...

You need some dirt time to see what bikes feel like when they slide around a bit - MUCH leass risky than learning about the vehicular dynamics on the street. Much less. And fun, too.

Dirt too far away? Still do DP with streetish tires, do the MSF or whatever and again - have fun!!
I never jump into these convo's but the simple idea of seat time in the dirt could save your life. learn what it feels like to lose the front end or step the back out under power and more importantly what conditions are the cause. It happens so fast! muscle memory might be the only thing that saves you. you mentioned low funds. aside from a few, dual sports have not changed a whole lot in 20 yrs. The bikes mentioned so far 01 DRZ400 & 250 (2,900) 00 XL400 (2,500) Anything older than this stick with a honda. best deal I found in my 2 min. search 82 honda 250XL(1,600) I've ridden all these and money aside you'll be happier on a 400 and all are pretty even. Now if that 1,600 is more realistic an 82, 83 XL 500 would not let you down(bullet proof). good luck my man, mark my words, that bike is gonna be the best wingman you've ever had.
33 cent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #417
ghetss261
Registered Member

great...
thank you for that post...
ghetss261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #418
ghetss261
Registered Member

is 1400 cc bikes are safe to ride.?
I'm planing to own some..
that's why I need some advice..?
if someone could help me?
ghetss261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #419
DonnieDarko
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
He's right, kid. Stay away from the idea of a sportbike until you're in your twenties (at the very least). The bike suggestion above is a good one, If you have the money another would be the Suzuki DRZ400SM. You should be able to find good used ones for right around $4000. You can get Dual Purpose fun and sticky street tires (welcome to the world of supermoto). Foot out, dirbike feeling, fun on the street. Cheap to insure, cheap to operate, great gas mileage. OR buy an India made Enfield and just go old school on people. I hear the 08 models will be fuel injected. Cost more, but I insure 4 or 5 college guys that own them. Outside of some break-in issues (that were dealer resolved) the guys seem to like them a lot.
I would have to disagree, I started off with a Ducati Monster 698 and that was basically a dream bike. Not to fast, handled likea dream, very forgiving, and I got mine cheap due to family
DonnieDarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #420
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
I would have to disagree, I started off with a Ducati Monster 698 and that was basically a dream bike. Not to fast, handled likea dream, very forgiving, and I got mine cheap due to family
A Duc 698 is NOT a Supersport 600.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote