Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-25-2010, 05:32 AM   #401
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I had a Vulcan 800 before the Royal Star and was a bit more agressive then then I am now. I remember it would rev limit at 36, 54 and 88MPH for 1st 2nd and 3rd gears. I dont dobut there are bikes to hit 90 in 2nd gear but there's no reserve power at that point therefore no reason to do it, he wants you to think his wonderful bike is better then your wonderful bike..... but it isnt.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2010, 03:15 AM   #402
Mowhawk gnade
Registered Member

Default greetings

I just spent 20 mins typing a great introduction only to loose it..

heres the short version..

I read 25 pages of this thread I do not want a crotch rocket..

I have no experience on a bike..

I plan on taking saftey classes and getting the protective gear..

I am 40 yrs old and 5'6... 170LBS

I am looking for a inexpensive street cruiser..
any reccomendations.

any riding tips for a beginner?

I just want to ride with my aging friends that enjoy riding..

my first post was alot better but that's the cliff notes..
Mowhawk gnade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #403
Mowhawk gnade
Registered Member

I am looking at a Kawasaki Vulcan 750(1997)

and a
hondashadow 750(199

both bikes are roughly 3,000

to much motor for a beginner?

too much $$ for a first bike?

I'd love some advice on this if you don't mind..

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #404
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowhawk gnade View Post
I am looking at a Kawasaki Vulcan 750(1997) and a hondashadow 750(199 both bikes are roughly 3,000 to much motor for a beginner? too much $$ for a first bike? I'd love some advice on this if you don't mind.. Thanks, Mark
Mowhawk gnade, I have known several riders to start on the Shadow 750 and do alright. With the proper training and some sensibility, you should do okay. Did you take the MSF novice rider course (or similar) yet?

As far as the difference between the Kawi and the Honda, I cannot offer anything. Perhaps the old salts here can chime in. Moke? Sarnali? Seruzawa?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #405
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Mowhawk gnade, I have known several riders to start on the Shadow 750 and do alright. With the proper training and some sensibility, you should do okay. Did you take the MSF novice rider course (or similar) yet?

As far as the difference between the Kawi and the Honda, I cannot offer anything. Perhaps the old salts here can chime in. Moke? Sarnali? Seruzawa?
Bikes are similar. The Vulcan is a bit older, being basically unchanged since the Dawn of Man. It's a bit more powerful but has older styling. But both are reliable as anvils and have no particular handling quirks as I recall. Either one would be a good choice if the price is right.

Last edited by seruzawa; 06-08-2010 at 09:44 PM..
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #406
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I had a Vulcan 800 which is a little more bike then the 750, and loved it, Honda makes a great product too, with reason I don't think they are too big to start on for a mature adult.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #407
Mowhawk gnade
Registered Member

Thanks for the replys..
I went to a dealership and sat on a honda Shadow and a rebel..
the rebel just seemed too light or like it would have handling issues on the hyghway..
I liked the shadow as far as sitting on it..
it's hard to tell w/o riding them, but I have to learn to ride first..lol
Old 06-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #408
RatBike
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowhawk gnade View Post
Thanks for the replys..
I went to a dealership and sat on a honda Shadow and a rebel..
the rebel just seemed too light or like it would have handling issues on the hyghway..
I liked the shadow as far as sitting on it..
it's hard to tell w/o riding them, but I have to learn to ride first..lol
I'm in the same boat as you age and experience-wise. You're in luck ... chances are pretty good your local MSF class will use a Rebel or something very close to it. The class is a good chance to get a sense of what will fit you, and the instructors will of course have very good advice.

My class (a whole month ago) used Suzuki GZ250 (not much different than a Rebel), Suzuki TU250 (fuel-injected), and DR200SE (dual-sport). My completely newb opinion is that light is just fine. I personally really liked the fuel-injected TU250 but it's a bit taller (I'm 5'11" 175#) so YMMV.
RatBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #409
Mowhawk gnade
Registered Member

Now I have ridden my friends Kawasiki Vulcan 1100
definatly a road cruiser and alot of bike..
I also rode a Kawasiki 800cc it was an '02
both of these were around the block rides..
I shifted to second and back to first.
never went over 30mph.
but I got an idea of riding them and the 800 was a good ride..
I'm gonna look at a shadow 1100 ('99) and if he'll let me ride it I may buy it, if not I'll keep looking and think more about the Kawasaki 800 some more..
Old 06-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #410
jeff10236
Registered Member

The cruisers are a different animal than the sports bikes or even a standard. The engines and transmissions are set up for torque more than horsepower. My 800cc Suzuki Boulevard C50 has less HP than a 650cc Suzuki SV650 (I don't remember the numbers, but I do recall that it was by a pretty substantial amount).

Some people (on other forums, you don't really see it here) seem to think up to about 1100cc is OK on a cruiser. What you need to be careful with on a cruiser isn't so much engine size as weight. Too heavy and it can be awfully hard to control in slow speed maneuvers for a beginner. Mine is 611 LBS (before options, like my windshield) and my first couple weeks I definitely would have appreciated a lighter bike (and I most certainly wouldn't have wanted to go heavier). I think some of the 1100cc bikes weigh in at similar numbers, maybe even lower. Check the weight of the bikes you are considering and if it is under 600LBS, and you are very confident of your abilities after the training class, you may be OK. Regardless of the weight, there is no way I'd consider larger than an 1100, and I personally ruled out anything larger than the 900cc Kawasaki Vulcan (now I think I might have been OK to 1100cc, so long as the weight wasn't greater than my C50).

Now, that advice is partly because you are 40. Being a bit older, you are presumably more mature. You can still get in trouble on a cruiser engine, you don't need the HP of a sportsbike, it is just a bit more forgiving. Also, if you drop that 600LBS on your leg, you have a broken leg. I remember being a teenager and early 20-something, and I'm a high school teacher now, I would not suggest anything that big and powerful for a testosterone laden young man (I know, a double standard, but you young men out there, all that extra testosterone really can get you in trouble).

Anyway, back to specifics. The Honda Shadow 750 is a great starter bike. If you look at the reviews, while some may imply it is a little boring, they all seem to agree that it handles pretty predictably and is an easy bike to ride. They either imply or state outright that it is a great beginners bike. The Vulcan 750 is a slightly different style, more like an early 90s or late 80s Japanese cruiser, sit on one and make sure you like the fit, but if you do it should be a good bike to start on. The Vulcan 800 is a beautiful bike (I'm still a bit unhappy about 2 used Vulcan 800s that got away) and would be a terrific starter bike (I almost bought a new Vulcan 900 instead of my Suzuki). A Vulcan or Shadow 1100 might be OK (and used it seems the 1100s are a much better value than the 750s-900s, they seem to be about the same price and you get a bigger bike).
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote