Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   New Rider? Read this thread FIRST! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/7428-new-rider-read-thread-first.html)

seruzawa 05-02-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jofaba (Post 240731)
They'd have to order it so it's really more of a "non-refundable deposit". So It'd be a gamble. If it fit, great, if not, I'm out $500 or have to buy some other Suzuki. And let's say they didn't have the cruiser 250 in stock. There's no other Suzuki I'm interested in. And if I have to choose a cruiser, the Suzuki isn't my first pick.

LOL! You'd think it was a seller's market. I'd stay away from that stealership.

Have you checked the used ads? I see used GZ250s frequently.

Jofaba 05-02-2010 02:22 PM

I'm a day or two away from purchasing a 2006 Virago 250 which is in mint condition, under 900 miles, $2,100 =)

The_AirHawk 05-02-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jofaba (Post 240739)
I'm a day or two away from purchasing a 2006 Virago 250 which is in mint condition, under 900 miles, $2,100 =)

That sounds more like it!

And when you're ready to move-along to the next bike - be sure to give the next rider a good deal on it like it appears you're getting.

Jofaba 05-06-2010 07:33 AM

2006 Yamaha Virago 250 - a set on Flickr

Now I just need to pass my permit class this Saturday, and then learn how to ride...

Dr_Sprocket 05-06-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jofaba (Post 241093)
2006 Yamaha Virago 250 - a set on Flickr

Now I just need to pass my permit class this Saturday, and then learn how to ride...

Lookin' good. One step closer.

Jofaba 05-06-2010 09:31 PM

I should give some details: This is a 2006 Yamaha Virago 250 with under 900 miles.

And I got this well cared for bike for $2,100. Yep, $2,100.

I'm not sure you can beat that.

A Star Ride 05-08-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jofaba (Post 241172)
I should give some details: This is a 2006 Yamaha Virago 250 with under 900 miles.

And I got this well cared for bike for $2,100. Yep, $2,100.

I'm not sure you can beat that.

I'd say you got a deal, make sure the maintence is up to date, oil, etc, and make sure the tires arent craking

Jofaba 05-08-2010 05:10 PM

And I passed! 96% =)

Jofaba 05-11-2010 06:19 PM

Okay. Did some riding for the first time today. It's a nearly traffic free stretch of service road. I'm very lucky to have it branch just off my parking lot.

So, here's my current main problems (and I wouldn't yet dare venture into active traffic yet):

1. Starting to move. Yes, still having a real problem with the transition from neutral to first gear. I either give too much gas too soon, or stall before I even have a chance to give it gas. I feel like getting it right is almost by luck. I know it isn't, it just feels that way when it happens.

2. As soon as the bike is moving, first gear feels too low. It immediately wants to be in second gear to sound and feel right, and as soon as you get into second and give it some gas, it wants to be in third. I know 250s are geared low, and I know the bike works perfectly because I had an experienced rider ride it up to fifth and back down.

Note: 3rd, 4th and 5th upshifting feels natural, controllable, and fun!

3. Downshifting. None of it feels natural at all. I downshift when it feels sort of natural and the bike lurches. At no point does downshifting to first feel natural, even when just creeping along.

Q: Does downshifting too early hurt the bike?

4. Coming to a complete start, keeping the engine running, and then taking off again almost seems impossible right now. I know it will come.

I almost dumped it once to my utter astonishment. I stalled coming out of a stop sign practice turning left. I think that I was in a higher gear than I realized, and there was no gunning or luching, but there was enough weight and momentum to make the bike suddenly want to tip left. I was able to tip slowly and touch the foot peg and bring it back up.

I'm starting to feel really guilty being this inexperienced with such a nice bike. I pray I don't ruin the transmission... or stall at too high a speed and dump it. I never realized how dangerous stalling could be.

Dr_Sprocket 05-11-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jofaba (Post 241487)
Q: Does downshifting too early hurt the bike?

4. Coming to a complete start, keeping the engine running, and then taking off again almost seems impossible right now. I know it will come.

I almost dumped it once to my utter astonishment. I stalled coming out of a stop sign practice turning left. I think that I was in a higher gear than I realized, and there was no gunning or luching, but there was enough weight and momentum to make the bike suddenly want to tip left.

Yes, downshifting early can damage a bike. Try not to downshift too early. Let the speed drop by letting off the throttle and using your brakes and then downshift before the bike hits the stall point.

Don't worry about the starting up. It will come. Be gentle with your clutch hand.