Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #351
Jofaba
Registered Member

I actually didn't know that about the standard thing. I figured when I saw the word "standard" that meant shifting, but since most bikes I've looked at require shifting I've assigned myself to requiring that talent.

To be honest, I've really grown onto the Ninja tonight. After really extensive research I'm starting to think it's my best starter bike. Previously I've said I hate "rice rockets" but it looks like a very fun bike to ride and it's so heavily recommended.

I'll do myself a disfavor here and explain my prejudice on the bike:

I mainly dislike the sportsbike because I subconsciously associate it with douchebags. Your standard "ill never die" college boy with no helmet and challenges any non sports bike at every stop light for speed and greed. I have a preconceived notion of bad attitude and intent. I am probably wrong.
Jofaba is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #352
sartorius
Registered Member

Well, just look at youtube, and you'll see you're right about the douchebaggery...part of the time. I have no idea of the percentage, but not everyone's like that. Just like not all Harley owners look down on metric bikes and crotch rockets.
So, the next question is: Why does the douchebaggery bother you? If it's that those types of people will challenge you, just ignore them. People are people, and the d-bags simply manifest their nature differently on different motorcycles. The solution's kind of the same: ignorance. Er...you know what I mean.

If it's that people will think you're a d-bag based on appearance, you're limited to either controlling your own self image or picking a different bike with similar characteristics. What I mean is that there aren't any James Bond disguise kits for Ninjas, so people are gonna know what it is. You can:
1. deal with it, telling yourself that you are the exception (and will probably meet a lot of other cool exceptions just like you).
2. get a pre-'08 model which doesn't look as ultrasporty. When I considered this, my only extra consideration was changing the front suspension spring thingy (forget the name). That's kind of the only thing that wasn't "perfect" about those bikes, from what I can tell.
3. find another, but kind of similar bike. I can't help here, because the only other similar bikes I can think of look kind of...you guessed it: similar. Maybe someone else'll chime in.
sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:46 AM   #353
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorius View Post
Well, just look at youtube, and you'll see you're right about the douchebaggery...part of the time. I have no idea of the percentage, but not everyone's like that. Just like not all Harley owners look down on metric bikes and crotch rockets.
So, the next question is: Why does the douchebaggery bother you? If it's that those types of people will challenge you, just ignore them. People are people, and the d-bags simply manifest their nature differently on different motorcycles. The solution's kind of the same: ignorance. Er...you know what I mean.

If it's that people will think you're a d-bag based on appearance, you're limited to either controlling your own self image or picking a different bike with similar characteristics. What I mean is that there aren't any James Bond disguise kits for Ninjas, so people are gonna know what it is. You can:
1. deal with it, telling yourself that you are the exception (and will probably meet a lot of other cool exceptions just like you).
2. get a pre-'08 model which doesn't look as ultrasporty. When I considered this, my only extra consideration was changing the front suspension spring thingy (forget the name). That's kind of the only thing that wasn't "perfect" about those bikes, from what I can tell.
3. find another, but kind of similar bike. I can't help here, because the only other similar bikes I can think of look kind of...you guessed it: similar. Maybe someone else'll chime in.
Excellent advice, Sartorius! Said another way: People will percieve you, Jofaba, for how you ride.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:39 AM   #354
Jofaba
Registered Member

Well it's more that I don't those particular riders to think we're automatically going to be buddies, but I realize it's kind of an immature prejudice and mindset. Like I said, I'm trying to open my mind up about it and give it some thought. I very well may get on one and be in love.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #355
A Star Ride
Registered Member

There are stereotypes everywhere and the bottom line is be yourself & dont feel like you have to fit the mold of whatever you think it is people expect of you.
I was in my early 20's on my first real cruiser and knew no one who had one. Everyone I knew had dual spots or supersports, and I rode with them all on & off but wasnt into trail riding on a vulcan 800, or weaving traffic at 100+ MPH.
I liked cruising, and thats what I did. Even after I found a small group (club) of cruiser owners (through a co-worker who invited me to a few of their events), they didnt like my "jap bike", and had N.S.B. (no stock bikes) and other opinions, and would rather spend 6 hours hitting 5 beer joints then actually riding, so I diddn't fit in with them either. Now I'm in a nice club who I do feel like I fit well into, but still do the majority of my riding alone, or just with a passenger. Having a motorcycle isnt a status symbol or a social event for me, it's something I enjoy, so I do it. I don't have pins & patches on my gear, helmet stickers, or flags on my bike, nothing wrong with that but to me thats status, or attention seking, sure it makes for good conversation, and most in my club are pretty decorated people, but it's just not my thing.
I know I got off track here but do what & ride what your gut tells you, you arent doing this for anyone else. It's your money, your time & your life & limb on the line so you make the calls.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #356
Jofaba
Registered Member

Bravo!

Yeah I know exactly what I want but I'm not sure I can have it, at least not yet. Although a guy at work told me today that his friend is about my height had has the cb350 which gives me a little hope. Maybe if his friend's close he could hook me up with a visit so I can sit and decide. Until then it's a search for an alternative. Who knows, may even find something better! Thanks for the great posts everyone. You sure make a guy feel welcomed.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #357
Jofaba
Registered Member

currently dancing between the Suzuki Boulevard S40 and Honda Shadow; leaning towards the Suzuki. A bit more engine that I want (in both bikes) but they just keep popping up.

Under alternative is the Suzuki Tu250, which is a thousand dollars less, and less than half the power of the S40.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #358
sartorius
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Excellent advice, Sartorius! Said another way: People will percieve you, Jofaba, for how you ride.
Thanks! It's all a reflection of what I've already learned from this forum, and I'm just payin' it forward. Being immortalized in a sticky is merely a bonus.

I can't wait to see people say "You want me to read all 50 pages of that thing?!"

Jofaba, all nice picks. I'd love to ride a TU250 some day.
sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:59 AM   #359
jeff10236
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofaba View Post
currently dancing between the Suzuki Boulevard S40 and Honda Shadow; leaning towards the Suzuki. A bit more engine that I want (in both bikes) but they just keep popping up.

Under alternative is the Suzuki Tu250, which is a thousand dollars less, and less than half the power of the S40.
All good choices. From what I read, the Shadow, whether a 1980's 500, a newer 600 or a 750, is a great starter bike. They are supposed to be easy to learn on. The S40 of course is a great starter, I just didn't really consider them because they were a bit small for me (and I liked the Vulcan 500 better- but that's me). The TU250 is a great choice. You may wish for more power sooner than the others, but from all I read it is a lot of fun, and it may be cheap enough to consider keeping as a high MPG but fun choice even after you "replace" it with something bigger. If a dealer around here had one I probably would have bought that instead of my C50, and I'll probably buy one eventually anyway. Given your choices, if it was me, I'd probably pick that TU250 if anyone around you had it, and if not, I'd probably go with the Shadow (if it is the 1980s 500 or the current 750, I'd probably go with the S40 over the Shadow 600).
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #360
Jofaba
Registered Member

Almost entirely sold on the TU250. Going to try and check one out in person this weekend. Going to try and schedule a riders class for asap. Very excited about getting started!