Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #291
ckways
Registered Member

Some good advice yes get a used bike and some very good gears but later on you must think about getting a head light modulator this is a must espically when you are new.

Last edited by ckways : 02-10-2009 at 03:34 PM.
ckways is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #292
hookdonfonix
Registered Member

Default Motorcycle for a tall guy?

I'm am going to start taking my classes to learn how to ride and I need a bike that would fit a tall person (6'2''). I really want an early 2000 Ninja 250 but I dont know if that would be suitable for me, I was looking at them and they look little but I'm not sure. What are you opinions?
hookdonfonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #293
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

What is your inseam and weight?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #294
Bike EXIF
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Two other bikes to consider:
Aprilia Shiver - 750cc of Italian cool with plenty of guts for highway runs
Suzuki SV650 ABS - safety of ABS with v-twin grunt, the standard for standards
I saw a Shiver in my local Sydney dealer the other week: it looked terrific. Very sharp styling and the build quality was first-rate. It also has three engine modes so you can control the power, including a 'rain' setting. That would be ideal for beginner riders.

It was a little too big for me though (I'm 5'10"), so I plumped for a Guzzi V7 in the end. Smaller, lower seat height, easy to manage - and looks just beautiful.

Chris

Follow us on twitter | Facebook | Drop us a line at editor@bikeexif.com
Bike EXIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #295
newagetwotone
Registered Member

The shiver is a beauty of a bike personally i really like the dorsoduro myself. I hope Aprilia keeps up with the CVT bikes, i like the the idea myself and from what i hear the manual shifting on the Mana is pretty good. I'd like the choice myself.

Not to mention that Guzzi V7 is a cool looking bike, how is it?

Edit: actually, to be honest, I'm still horned up for a KTM Duke 690 in black and white....

Last edited by newagetwotone : 02-12-2009 at 10:13 PM.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #296
Jlh175
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I am new to this motorcycle thing so I am looking for advice. I have read up on motorcycles, mainly the inner workings just to get some background information, but I still have a lot of questions, and would appreciate some help.

I am planning to take the MSF this summer, or sometime soon, I would like to get a permit this summer or sometime soon also. The thing I am worrying about is not the paperwork, but where/how to get a motorcycle. I know that I should not be looking into anything with a lot of power, but I am not sure how that is measured.

I guess what I need, or would like, is direction on what kind of bike to get and from where. I will probably use the bike for commuting short distances, max maybe an hour, and so I know I don't want anything where I have to hunch over but what should I be looking for. And when it comes to price? I have no idea about that.

I have looked into the Ninja 250, I have seen that it has been talked about a lot, but it looks like something I couldn't ride for a long time.

As some extra information, I am about 6' and around 170 lbs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jlh175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #297
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlh175 View Post
Hey guys,

I am new to this motorcycle thing so I am looking for advice. I have read up on motorcycles, mainly the inner workings just to get some background information, but I still have a lot of questions, and would appreciate some help.

I am planning to take the MSF this summer, or sometime soon, I would like to get a permit this summer or sometime soon also. The thing I am worrying about is not the paperwork, but where/how to get a motorcycle. I know that I should not be looking into anything with a lot of power, but I am not sure how that is measured.

I guess what I need, or would like, is direction on what kind of bike to get and from where. I will probably use the bike for commuting short distances, max maybe an hour, and so I know I don't want anything where I have to hunch over but what should I be looking for. And when it comes to price? I have no idea about that.

I have looked into the Ninja 250, I have seen that it has been talked about a lot, but it looks like something I couldn't ride for a long time.

As some extra information, I am about 6' and around 170 lbs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Ninja 250 is a good starter. A 250cc DP bike is better. Lots of people with decades of experience ride either of those bikes. "Outgrowing a bike" is an idea invented by an idiot. Just because a bike doesn't make 150hp doesn't mean it isn't a hoot to ride and perfect for your needs. Some of the most fun I've ever had in 45 years of riding is on smaller bikes of less then 40 hp. I've still got two that make less then 30.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #298
pushrod
Founding Member

Four hundred and, well, eighteen posts!?

Any way a 'Super-Moderator' could maybe split this into 'Tall Rider', 'Short Rider', 'Newbie, Height not an issue', and maybe, 'Accessories/Apparel'?

And I suppose there is no way to make this a 'stickie' like most other forums have, huh?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #299
Jlh175
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Ninja 250 is a good starter. A 250cc DP bike is better. Lots of people with decades of experience ride either of those bikes. "Outgrowing a bike" is an idea invented by an idiot. Just because a bike doesn't make 150hp doesn't mean it isn't a hoot to ride and perfect for your needs. Some of the most fun I've ever had in 45 years of riding is on smaller bikes of less then 40 hp. I've still got two that make less then 30.
So if I were to buy a ninja, let's say, what would you pay for a used one? I am in college and so there is NO way I can afford a new one, but I don't want to be ripped off! Also, would you recommend any specific year?
Jlh175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #300
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlh175 View Post
So if I were to buy a ninja, let's say, what would you pay for a used one? I am in college and so there is NO way I can afford a new one, but I don't want to be ripped off! Also, would you recommend any specific year?
$1500 to $2000 is a good price, depending on condition and mileage. A gal I know got a two year old Ninja 250 with a couple thousand miles on it for $2000. It was nearly new (if a little dusty from being kept in the shed... unridden).