Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 12-16-2007, 12:08 PM   #21
Sledpilot
Founding Member

Cool Mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
80 miles per gallon for a Ninja 250 is a real stretch. 60 or less is much more realistic. But they do much better than most cars.
so I guess I'm full of $h!t when I say I get steady 55-60 per US gallon when commuting out of my K75 (70+ happened a few times when I was REALLY nice to it, and down to 35 when I wasn't)

stop treating the throttle as an on/off switch and you might get some real surprising numbers.

cheers.
Sledpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #22
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffaman91 View Post
ok, thanks guys. i think the jap bike would be a good choice, they seem to have much higher quality as far as cars go too. Well I'll have to see how it plays out. Contact my friends dad who does insurance and ask him haha. So duel sport it will be, possibly haha.
Hmm, youth vs high insurance costs. Who can I make the check out to?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:05 PM   #23
Gluge
Registered Member

For what it's worth unless your going to use it in the dirt and not do much freeway riding I strongly recommend against a small DP ala DRZ400S or KX250. Before all your DP lovers jump on me this is why - They have no wind protection which isn't good for freeway riding. They have pretty small brakes which while ok they do tend to over heat pretty easily, you can run hotter brake pads but then they won't brake as well cold, overall their brakes aren't as good for the street as most bikes. They don't handle very well on the street, doesn't mater for around town or even the freeways but if you plan to do much fun riding it will be annoying.

If your not going to ride it in the dirt much and your planning on doing some sporty canyon rides and freeway riding go with a EX500 or Ninja 250. Since your 16 and insurance might be higher for the EX500 I'd say go for the 250, it'll be fast enough (90mph) for the freeways.

Last - How do you go about learning and not kill or seriously hurt yourself in the process?

1. Off-road riding, either find someone you can go out with who has a spare dirt bike or get the DP bike so you can learn all about riding it in the dirt, learn how to lock the front and be ok, slide, etc. and all the basic controls and get comfy with it - THEN tackle traffic and streets.

2. Track - It may seem odd but many people learn how to really ride on the track, you can start doing track days at big road race courses at 14 years old. Take the MSF first then show up at a track day / track day school! - Do this option if you get the ninja 250. Just take the plastics off for the track day (might leave them off for your frist few months of owning the bike)

If you skip and don't do either of the above this is what will happen: You'll take the MSF then you'll go out on the street you'll be nervous and even if you never crash it will be a long time until your truly comfortable riding and you'll take years and years and years to truly learn how to ride to the bikes potential. (I've seen it)

That's my 2 cents.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

Unlike some others here I have personal real experience on some DP bikes. The brakes on both the DRZ400 and Suzuki's DR200 are more than adequate. Do not believe the myths about brakes from people with no experience. DPs DO handle well on the street.

Some people give deadly and dangerous advice to new riders and are about to be banned.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #25
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Unlike some others here I have personal real experience on some DP bikes. The brakes on both the DRZ400 and Suzuki's DR200 are more than adequate. Do not believe the myths about brakes from people with no experience. DPs DO handle well on the street.

Some people give deadly and dangerous advice to new riders and are about to be banned.
Wasn't somebody suggesting an Interceptor for a 1st timer? The 2002 I had was a screamer. It would go 120 in a heartbeat. I'd never consider putting a new rider on one.

The only issue I could see with a dual-sport for a new rider would be knobbies on pavement. Not much traction in the wet. If it had a TrailWings type of tire like the DL - no problem.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #26
maprior
Registered Member

Default Advice On Buying 1st Bike-Cruiser

Hey Y'all,

This is my first post on motorcycle.com and I'm looking for some unbiased advice. I'm already scheduled to take the MSP BRC at the end of january here in Atlanta because I don't know s%#@ from shinola about riding a motorcycle.

What I do know is that I am thinking about a Jap cruiser and I've narrowed it down that I am looking for 1300cc or less. I was eyeballing a Yamaha Vstar 1100 to begin with. I would eventually like to take my girlfriend for a ride once my confidence & skill level increases so I'm thinking I need something more than an entry level cycle to handle the weight. Do you think that a Honda Shadow Aero or a Yam Vstar Classic would be powerful enough.

Thoughts, comments & constructive criticism all all apreciated. Thanks
maprior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #27
pplassm
Founding Member

Buy the cheapest, lightest used bike you can get away with. You're gonna drop it.

I wouldn't reccomend that you carry passengers until you have a LOT of experience.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #28
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

I second the recommendation to get something smaller and cheaper for a first bike. You won't just drop the bike, you might also find out that some motorcycles are not for you, because of fit, power, handling, or some other reason. And did I mention *fit*? A motorcycle can look comfy and feel comfy in the showroom, but a bike is a dynamic object, and what feels right when it's on the sidestand is totally different from how it feels at speed.

So our recommendation *always* will be to start off with something light and cheap so you can learn -- not only how to ride, but what you want to get for your more permanent bike.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:39 AM   #29
acecycleins
Founding Member

Man- this poor guy just doesn't know what he stepped in, huh? Buddy, there may not be bias, but you'll get a little of everything else.

Here's the deal: You're starting right with the training. Bike choice, however, is subjective. We have no stats. In most cases with "new" riders I've seen guys perfectly content with mordern 800-900cc cruisers. Most of them are lighter than your average HD, but demensionally (did I spell that right) they are about the size of a Fatboy. You can usually find perfectly fine Suzuki C-50 or Kawasaki VN800 for the low $3000 range and still own a bike made in this century. So, unless you go 260lbs or better and your woman is 2/3rds of that weight, looking at a 1300cc or better bike as the first ride may be overkill. And don't for a minute think this will be your only bike. You'll keep the first one for a year to three and want somethng else. Happens to all of us. Get used to it. Better yet- get your lady used to it.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #30
dodogenocide
Registered Member

Default eeny meenie mynie moe....

I'm still saving/browsing for my first bike, and I'm wondering if there's any real benefits between the usual beginner bikes. I don't like dual-purposes (too tall for me) and don't feel comfortable on most 250s, so I'm deciding between a Ninja 500, Vulcan 500, or a GS500. I like them all, but I would like to know if either would likely have cheaper insurance, better reliability, and which one would have the best touring ability (around 500 miles in one day). I took the MSF course this fall and bought all protective gear except for a helmet, because I want it to match my bike