Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 01-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #281
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Based on your needs, I would suggest a maxi-scooter (unless you are opposed to them). Look at the Suzuki Bergman, the Honda Silverwing or the new Yamaha T-Max. They all have excellent built-in storage to protect your gear, have plenty of power for the freeway, and will get 60+ mpg.

If you are into bikes, look at a used Honda Nighthawk 750. It has a relatively upright riding position, gets 50+ mpg and has plenty of power to spare.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #282
leftheaded
Registered Member

i wasn't thinking of a scooter, seems a little too much like a toy to me. also i just googled suzuki bergman and found this lol

I wonder if it would have enough power to get up an over the big hill/mountain i have to cross??? not sure how much elevation change there is?? either way, will check out the honda.. and thanks!
leftheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #283
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

They are definitely not toys. Check 'em out.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #284
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
They are definitely not toys. Check 'em out.
Sachi is wise beyond her years. The are NOT toys. They are practical and respected ways of transport, capable of speed well over 100 mph (which can get your license revoked, leaving you walking, in the wrong speed zone).

The new Yamaha T-Max is supposed to offer the convenience of a scooter with the performance of a sport bike. There is a video on YouTube of a dude rippin' it up on a T-Max on a tight race circuit. Check it out.

Two other bikes to consider:
Aprilia Shiver - 750cc of Italian cool with plenty of guts for highway runs
Suzuki SV650 ABS - safety of ABS with v-twin grunt, the standard for standards

Last edited by Dr_Sprocket : 01-12-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:13 AM   #285
newagetwotone
Registered Member

The @$$hole who made that poster is probably the same squid who will get burned by a Burgman650 off the line. The big burgie in power mode still throws out a decent bit of acceleration.

Its funny watching some squid on a race repli get burned by a scooter.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #286
jawknee530
Registered Member

Default First Time Buyer Needs Advice.

Hello all,
I'm looking to buy a motorcycle for the first time and start riding. I'm looking for a cruiser that will be my daily driver and am hoping for some advice. I'm 6'4" so I don't fit on some of the smaller bikes (I was going to buy a used v-star 650 but it was too small) therefore I'm looking at mid-size to larger cruisers. What would be a good choice for a first time rider between a Yamaha V-star 950, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Kawasaki Vulcan 900, or a Honda Shadow Aero? Thanks in advance for any advice sent my way.
jawknee530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #287
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

jawknee, I've merged your thread with another thread that should tell you what you need to know. Read it ALL. Then if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #288
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawknee530 View Post
Ouch. Not much faith in me eh?
Nah, it's just how we are.

What's your budget and how old are you? Ideally, considering your size, you should look at a cheap dual-purpose bike. It will accommodate your size, they are cheap, it will teach you how to ride properly, and you can take it on dirt...which is way more forgiving than the road.

Once you get comfortable and capable, move one to your true bike of choice.

If you are on a tight budget than I would suggest trying on a few bikes and seeing how your legs fit on them. The bikes you listed are all kind of close in size and weight so there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:17 AM   #289
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Ouch. Not much faith in me eh?
JK530/Leftheaded,

+1 on BB's post.

At your size, you're probably going to find the only bikes that fit are the Dual-Purpose bikes and maybe the Harley/Clone cruisers with the forward controls.

This is assuming you have an inseam 34" or longer.

The 'starter' DP bikes recommended by this forum are the 'Wee-strom' DL-650, the KLR-650 and a couple other players. Excellent bikes, and usable on the highway or on dirt roads; and you can usually find used ones for a decent price.

They can be set up with bags ('panniers') and with the proper preparation, they can take you around the world.

But, first and foremost, sign up for a course.

Good luck, and welcome to our happy little part of the 'Net!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #290
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Hello all,
I'm looking to buy a motorcycle for the first time and start riding. I'm looking for a cruiser that will be my daily driver and am hoping for some advice. I'm 6'4" so I don't fit on some of the smaller bikes (I was going to buy a used v-star 650 but it was too small) therefore I'm looking at mid-size to larger cruisers. What would be a good choice for a first time rider between a Yamaha V-star 950, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Kawasaki Vulcan 900, or a Honda Shadow Aero? Thanks in advance for any advice sent my way.
My build is similar to yours (6'5", 195lbs, 36" inseam). None of the standard cruisers fit me comfortably with one or two exceptions. H-D Wide Glide with forward control extensions was great. Also, the Victory line of bikes was pretty good. Problem is, they are both expensive first bikes.

I rode for two years on a 1985 Honda Nightwawk CB700SC. It was a great first bike, plenty of power, low maintenance, and cheap to insure. It wasn't great at long-distance comfort. Any more than 2 hours on the bike and I would need a butt break.

My buddy had a Honda Shadow Aero, but it was way too cramped for me. Try them all out, but at your size, you may want to look at a standard. And a Sachi often points out, just because it feels good in the showroom doesn't mean it will be comfortable out on the road.