Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 09-24-2008, 07:14 AM   #271
whenpigsfly51153
Registered Member

I wouldn't recommend a scooter if my life depended on it. you have none of the advantages as far as breaking and acceleration. i would however recommend a 250. that is what i started on for 6 months and 5k miles. then i moved up to a 600 (F3) and know im looking for a 750. you can pick up a 250 for dirt cheap and sell it for the same price you bought it for. don't give it **** because its a 250. i raced guys on 600s and beat them. so its not the power of the bike as it is the rider. when you can race someone one a 600 and beat them then you can move up to a bigger bike
whenpigsfly51153 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #272
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Wow no scooter has acceleration? none have good breaks?

Hm..... :-/

Silverwing, Burgman.

Speaking of stupid comments I think this falls under there...:

"i raced guys on 600s and beat them. so its not the power of the bike as it is the rider. when you can race someone one a 600 and beat them then you can move up to a bigger bike"

You shouldn't be racing guys on the street and there are people out there who don't know how to ride period. So if you can beat a guy who got his first bike yesterday, even if it is a 600, you can move up!

There is nothing wrong with buying a scooter as your first bike. 250 or larger if your going anywhere near the freeway and there ARE scooters with modern tech that have good acceleration.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #273
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by whenpigsfly51153 View Post
I wouldn't recommend a scooter if my life depended on it. you have none of the advantages as far as breaking and acceleration.
Quote:
when you can race someone one a 600 and beat them then you can move up to a bigger bike
Congratulations, you've won the prestigious "Worse Advice Given On This Thread" Award.

You've managed to be wrong in several different ways. But you did fall short on the stupid post trifecta by neglecting to bash Harleys/cruisers. And if you are REALLY clever, you could have gotten the Golden Sombrero of dumb posts by mentioning the classic "motorcycle helmets will break your neck" statement.

Good luck next time, we’re rooting for you!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #274
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Congratulations, you've won the prestigious "Worse Advice Given On This Thread" Award.

You've managed to be wrong in several different ways. But you did fall short on the stupid post trifecta by neglecting to bash Harleys/cruisers. And if you are REALLY clever, you could have gotten the Golden Sombrero of dumb posts by mentioning the classic "motorcycle helmets will break your neck" statement.

Good luck next time, we’re rooting for you!
We have profanity filter.... why can't we have a stupidity filter too?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #275
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
We have profanity filter.... why can't we have a stupidity filter too?
Spel cherker and uh grammer cherker'd be good to.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:42 AM   #276
Lemon
Registered Member

Default Also new

Hey guys,

I too am a newbie looking for advice in the forums. I just moved out of the nest and am starting my career, so about time to take the motorcycle classes and eventually buy my gear and bike (Always wanted one, never had the chance until now.)

I'm a female, 5'11". I'm assuming that in the classes they will help find bikes relative to my skill level, but are there any suggestions until then? I'm looking for a (relatively) unbiased opinion of ideas I should be looking at. Or, if there are any other steps I'm missing, please share!

I'm not sure if my height and gender combo will affect my bike choices. I'd just like a small bike like (something like a Ninja 250 or similar) to start and just cruise around for fun more than anything. They sound small, so I want to make sure that's a safe and comfy route to go.

I'd love to hear any ideas, or anything else I should do before I start, thanks!
Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:44 AM   #277
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Your height can affect bike choice, because some smaller-engined bikes are, well, just small! The 250 cc Yamaha Virago cruiser for example -- I can't imagine you would fit well on that. On the other hand, you should be comfortable enough on the Ninja 250. I'm a bit shorter than you - 5'7" - but I had plenty of room when I sat on that bike.

If you read this whole thread you'll get a good idea of what would work for you, and what we recommend for new riders. To sum up, take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, consider buying a used bike, and (especially with your height) consider a dual-purpose bike for your fist ride.

I also like to remind new riders that "fit" on a bike is much more than seat height. The rider needs to be able to reach the controls, and be able to move them properly. The weight of the bike also makes a difference; a heavy bike will simply be harder to control than a lighter one, especially for a beginner.

Good luck, and welcome to MO.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #278
Audinos
Registered Member

Default Newbie question

I'm new to this board, and I have wanted to start riding for years (I'm 37). Now I'm finally finding a little time to pursue my dream. I live in eastern Oregon, which has vast expanses of straight roads with light traffic, as well as narrow mountain highways. I am more interested in cruising along than in how fast I get there. I'm a big guy at 6'0, 250 lbs. What style and model of bike would you recommend for a beginner like me?

Last edited by Audinos : 12-16-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Audinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #279
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Read the rest of this thread, and you'll have a much better idea what we might recommend.

Welcome to the site by the way.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #280
leftheaded
Registered Member

first post, never rode a motorcycle & looking for some ideas on which bikes to shop for...

here's some basic info that I guess you'd need to know, let me know if there's anything else that helps
  • commuter to work - 25 miles one way, mostly freeway
  • fuel efficiency is preferred over power
  • 34 years old, 6' tall, 215lbs & zero interest in wheelies or stoppies
  • need to carry laptop & photo gear to work (in a backpack currently. DSLR with 3 lenses, flash, etc..)
  • don't like the aggressive-forward position of bicycles, so i guess i wouldn't like sports bikes?
  • BMW 650 GS looks like what I'm thinking about starting with, and is about as much as I'd want to spend on a vehicle
  • don't mind first getting a used bike to throw away after I'm done ... in which case maybe i need 2 recommendations - something now, something later?
  • i'm going to take the MSF class in my area & we've got a huge abandoned naval base where I can ride around a practice (that's where the MSF class is too)
  • hate maintenance - hate it. absolutely don't want a used bike that needs to go the repair shop every 3 or 4 months.

main reason I want to get a bike is to give my prius to my wife. she needs a new car and we don't want to buy anything right now. so, a motorcycle seems to make economic sense.

thanks

Last edited by leftheaded : 01-12-2009 at 02:48 PM.
leftheaded is offline   Reply With Quote