Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   New Rider? Read this thread FIRST! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/7428-new-rider-read-thread-first.html)

jturner1984 09-18-2008 03:14 AM

Seeking advice for new bike
 
I'm looking to buy a new sport bike but not sure what to get. I'm a beginner 5'10" 215lbs. I like the honda's CBR and suzuki's GSXR, what would be the best fit for me a 600, 750 or 1000?

longride 09-18-2008 05:33 AM

I think a new GSXR 1000 is what you need. Be sure to explore the top speed limits early and often just to get the feel of the bike. Let us know how it turns out.

seruzawa 09-18-2008 06:50 AM

Read the sticky threads in this forum. You couldn't find worse choices for a first bike than these.

sachiwilson 09-18-2008 07:57 AM

I've merged your thread with the sticky thread, jturner. Read it ALL. Then come back and admit your initial thoughts were a bit off.

BrowningBAR 09-18-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jturner1984 (Post 193863)
I'm looking to buy a new sport bike but not sure what to get. I'm a beginner 5'10" 215lbs. I like the honda's CBR and suzuki's GSXR, what would be the best fit for me a 600, 750 or 1000?

Ninja 250R, 500R, or (at the absolute most) a 650R.

seijiblue 09-18-2008 10:01 AM

Short Rider. Bike Options?
 
Alright, I've always wanted to ride a motorcycle since i was a kid. But I am only 5'4" tall and noticed that the ride height of most Sport Bikes is higher than I am comfortable with. Also I would like to be able to ride the bike without having to modify it for my height. Any recommendations? I like the Yamaha R6 but again the height thing causes a problem...

seruzawa 09-18-2008 10:07 AM

What is it with the R6s, R1s, CBRs etc? Would you try to fly an F-16 for you first airplane? You might find this offensive but you are not competent enough to ride a race replica. Get something more reasonable for your first bike and get a few months experience. You might actually survive. Try a Ninja250 or 500 if you must have a faired bike.

pushrod 09-18-2008 10:16 AM

Seijiblue,

Refer to the New Riders thread. LOTS of good info in that one...

+1 on the R6 being a very bad idea.

sachiwilson 09-18-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 193895)
Seijiblue,

Refer to the New Riders thread. LOTS of good info in that one...

+1 on the R6 being a very bad idea.

I've merged your thread with the New Riders thread. Read ALL of this thread, and that should give you a good idea of what may work for you.

BrowningBAR 09-18-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seijiblue (Post 193893)
Alright, I've always wanted to ride a motorcycle since i was a kid. But I am only 5'4" tall and noticed that the ride height of most Sport Bikes is higher than I am comfortable with. Also I would like to be able to ride the bike without having to modify it for my height. Any recommendations? I like the Yamaha R6 but again the height thing causes a problem...

Ninja 250R or 500R.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:52 PM.