Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #231
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemaxx View Post
Hello. My name is Lee and I want a motorcycle.
I'm signed up for the MSF ridercourse. Being the I have no riding experience would a 600 sportbike such as a GSXR600, R6, or CBR600rr be a bad choice to start on? Would I be better served on a YZF-r6s, SV650,SV650s, or something different. I'm in my 30's I know quite a few guy the cruisers, but thats just not my thing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lee
Lee, before you start waisting money concentrate on training. After you're done spend $1800 on a used Suzuki DR650. Ride it, drop it and fall off it a few times (like 1 yr) and sell it for what you paid and then get back with us. You're suggestions on bikes as your "first" are BAD! The SV is the best of the bunch for learning but it is not a beginner bike. In the next year you will: drop it at the gas station because you forgot to put the kickstand down, lock up the front tire and wash out because you didn't see that gravel in the turn, brake late and lowside because you freaked when you went in too hot, and drop it to the ground doing tight turns in the parking lot. Would you rather: do all of the above with a "new", shiny bike or a used $1500 bike? Your pick.

Last edited by acecycleins : 08-11-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: look for the run on sentence- wow!
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #232
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Lee, good idea to take the MSF course. Save some money (about $1000) for full safety gear as well.

I've moved your question into our big "first bike" thread. Read it, all of it. As you'll see, we DO NOT recommend a 600 cc supersport bike for a new rider. They look cool (eh, I s'pose) and they are immense performers but they are designed for highly skilled riders. A new rider not only won't get much out of them, he would be much more likely to get out of control. They are dangerous beasts. Fun, yes; capable, yes; but only in experienced and mature hands.

We always suggest to a new rider to learn on something less intimidating. Even a 250 cc bike can go plenty fast enough to kill you while you learn the ropes. Anyway, read this thread and see what we suggest.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #233
leemaxx
Registered Member

I'm sorry for not reading though the 34 pages of this thread. It would of saved me from asking " is a 600cc sportbike is a good beinger" I do like the SV650 though, but my size is a concern. I'm 6'5" 250lbs. I'm not apposed to a Ninja 250 or such, just a little leery of the size.

Lee
leemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #234
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemaxx View Post
I'm sorry for not reading though the 34 pages of this thread. It would of saved me from asking " is a 600cc sportbike is a good beinger" I do like the SV650 though, but my size is a concern. I'm 6'5" 250lbs. I'm not apposed to a Ninja 250 or such, just a little leery of the size.

Lee
If you decide on the SV650, before you buy sit on a DL650. Basically the same bike with better "big-guy" ergonomics, and a little more managable power output (more low-end torque, less top-end HP).
Old 08-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #235
razortech
Registered Member

Smile Is KTM Duke 690 good beginner bike or am i stupid for asking?

I looked at a few bike and i really like the KTM duke 690. Iam 16 and my dad will buy me the bike and pay for insurance. I'll be using it on the highway, around town and in town. If iam asking a stupid question can you guys give me a recomendation for a bike that looks some what of a streetfighter or a sportish look that is good for beginners. Im about 5.3 and weigh 183 pounds. Remember i never had experience with motorcycles.

Thanks in advance,
Razortech
razortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #236
seruzawa
The Toad

The only thing stupid would be to not ask.

I'd say you should start with something more like the Kawasaki 250 DP bike until you get your skills in order. Read the sticky threads in the "learning to ride" forum.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #237
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

I've moved this to the sticky thread. Razortech, read the WHOLE thread - every page. And then tell us what you think.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
Old 08-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #238
razortech
Registered Member

Ok...after reading i think i like the ninja 250r, especially the 2008 model. I have one question though...wat is its carrying capacity cause i might have a passenger once in a while and...the break in for th e ninja seems to be quite annoying...under 4krpm for 500miles...any way around it? And by the way i dont completly understand wat a break in is.And can i have side bags and extra equipment of that sort on the bike cause i need to carry books, laptops and everyonce in a while grocery supplies

Last edited by razortech : 08-12-2008 at 10:31 AM.
razortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #239
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Yeah, you can find good saddlebags and so on. Go to Twisted Throttle to see some options.

For carrying capacity, go to the Kawasaki website to see what the load rating is for the bike. You should be fine carrying a passenger for a little while at least.

Last edited by sachiwilson : 08-17-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #240
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Yeah, you can find good saddlebags and so on. Co to Twisted Throttle to see some options.

For carrying capacity, go to the Kawasaki website to see what the load rating is for the bike. You should be fine carrying a passenger for a little while at least.
It's about 850lbs GVW. I checked it for another post the other day.