Question bike shopping

Ok so Im planning on getting my first street bike this
summer.. Im looking at 2008 250 ninjas
My dad says I should shoot for about a 400cc
bike but Im a little scared of a bike that
size right now Im 5'10 and weigh 125 pounds
He says a 250 wouldnt have much power and I would
want to sell it fast and I wouldnt really be able
to ride with my friend (He rides an 08 hayabusa)
I can see what he means there but still..

What would be a good bike for a beginner?
any help would be much appreciated
thanks!!
Jamesrkl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #192
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Tell your dad he's an idiot. The Ninja would be a fabulous bike. People do the Iron Butt Rally on those things- they are NOT wimpy.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #193
Jamesrkl
Registered Member

I thought so too
thanks!

Last edited by Jamesrkl : 05-03-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Jamesrkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #194
Nevest
Registered Member

Default Seeking advice for my first bike

I'm currently driving a 2005 Honda CR-V about 62 miles per day to and from work. It gets about 25 mpg which isn't bad, but the price of gas is still killing me, especially since it's the main vehicle my family uses in the evening and on the weekends as well. So I did some talking with the wife about getting a fuel efficient motorcycle to help reduce the cost of me driving to work. I figure that if I spend around 2 or $3K on a used bike that got around 45 or 50 mpg it could pay for itself within the first year or two. I'm signed up for the earliest basic rider course available at the local community college (June 19th-22nd) so I've got a little time to figure everything out.

My drive to and from work is about two-thirds highway and I like to travel around 75 to 78 mph during that section. The overall drive takes about 40 minutes each way. I'm 6'2" and weigh about 230 pounds.

I've started doing some reading/research on bikes, but there's just so much info out there that it's overwhelming. I'd love to hear some advice on what kind of bikes I should look at and why. Any specific suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Nevest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #195
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Read this thread, Steve. It should answer a lot of your questions. Welcome to MO!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
Old 05-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #196
Nevest
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Read this thread, Steve. It should answer a lot of your questions. Welcome to MO!
Sorry for posting in the wrong place. I'm not actually learning to ride yet, just wanted advice on which bike to buy for my situation so figured general discussion.

I know it must get old to answer these types of questions, but I've found this thread to be really unweildy. I clicked the back button and read the last few pages and didn't find anything useful. I then went and read the first 5 pages and didn't find anything useful. I'm sure if I take the 2 or 3 hours necessary to read all 30 pages that I would get an answer to my question, but the whole point of my question was that there's just too much info out there and I was hoping for some personal help for the new guy. Oh well, guess I'll just continue my reading elsewhere.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #197
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

I guess motorcycling is gonna be too hard for you then.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #198
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Stab him in the heart why don't ya?
Old 05-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #199
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Well, not everyone is cut out for this sport. I mean, he doesn't yet know that he'll need to have a skullet.

Last edited by sachiwilson : 05-07-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #200
Nevest
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
I guess motorcycling is gonna be too hard for you then.
Ouch, I don't really think that was called for. I don't see how a reluctance to read 30 pages of a message board thread with mostly info that doesn't pertain to me or answer my questions has anything to do with riding a motorcycle. As I mentioned, I'm already signed up for the basic rider course and comparison shopping for safety gear seems rather easy. I was just looking for some clues on which bikes I might enjoy and be able to afford since there are so many out there and it seems like certain ones would have to be better for a person of my size with the kind of driving I'm going to be doing. I suppose it's some sort of right of passage here to try to force all new riders to read this massive thread, but I really don't see the benefit for someone who has a specific question.

I've enjoyed reading the reviews on this site and will continue there. I guess I'll have to steer clear of the forums though since the professionalism doesn't seem to extend here.