Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
Sledpilot
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffaman91 View Post
is this a good bike possibility?

2007 Hyosung Comet GT250R
yeah, that would work. but again if you didn't take the MSF class try that first. the extra bonus of the class (besides maybe learning something) is that they should have some versatility as far as the bikes used in the class, so maybe you can try a few different ones and see if that would influence you in any way.

hope that helps.
Sledpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2007, 08:30 PM   #12
Saffaman91
Registered Member

yeah it helps alot, thanks. I really dont know much abotu this stuff so this is great. ik it may be a stupid question but y do "plastics" make insurance more expensive?
Saffaman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:34 PM   #13
Sledpilot
Founding Member

Quote:
ik it may be a stupid question but y do "plastics" make insurance more expensive?
every tip over = scratches on the bodywork = usually you will need new plastics

The InsCo. is trying to get the most $$$ out of you b4 they need to cover any damages to you ride.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #14
Saffaman91
Registered Member

ohh okay, well that makes sense i guess. so less breakable the bike the better haha.and jstu aobtu how many miles per gallon do the avg. bike get?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:44 PM   #15
Sledpilot
Founding Member

Quote:
how many miles per gallon do the avg. bike get?
there (unfortunately) is no standard for the fuel efficiency for motorcycles, but the 250cc should be very fuel efficient. Results will vary based on the riding conditions.
Ninja 250 should be getting somewhere around 80 miles per gallon, so for commuting I would strongly suggest getting something along those lines. also you would be able to hook some nice bags to the Ninja 250 (if you are commuting on the bike luggage is a must have).
Old 10-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #16
Saffaman91
Registered Member

Quote:
Ninja 250 should be getting somewhere around 80 miles per gallon, so for commuting I would strongly suggest getting something along those lines. also you would be able to hook some nice bags to the Ninja 250 (if you are commuting on the bike luggage is a must have).
ok, so pretty good gas. i have a honda pilot right now, which is really good for me considering that i have to haul stuff around in my car pretty often, so i could use pilot when i needed to haul big stuff. now how much of an inconvenience is it to wear a backpack when u ride?

Last edited by sachiwilson : 10-15-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Quote fixed!
Old 10-15-2007, 08:52 PM   #17
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

It's not much of an inconvenience, but do NOT use a backpack to carry hard objects. If you fall on (say) books or a laptop, it's going to hurt. Carry clothing or the like - soft stuff. For hard objects, get a tank bag or panniers.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:43 PM   #18
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

80 miles per gallon for a Ninja 250 is a real stretch. 60 or less is much more realistic. But they do much better than most cars.

The Hyosung is a Korean bike. The first problem with buying one of these bikes is that there aren't many dealers. For example, there are six dealers in all of Illinois. The other problem is that the quality of these bikes (as I've read in the reviews) is not as good as other bikes. Thus, it makes more sense to buy a Japanese bike, because dealers are everywhere, and quality is high.

As far as wearing a backpack goes, during my first year of riding I wore a backpack so much of the time that it actually felt weird to ride without it. Hot summer days, though, it makes much more sense to put stuff in soft or hard bags and wear a mesh jacket, no backpack. I also always have a tank bag on the bike, which contains things like my keys, wallet, garage opener, sunglasses and such.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:53 AM   #19
12er
Founding Member

First I would call your insurance agent and find out what rates are going to run on each machine you like. Your age is going to kill you on sport bikes. So once again the dual sport suggestion will be the most economically viable option insurance wise.

As for the backpack I agree about not carrying hard objects, you always have to keep a crash in the back of your mind. Check out Aerostich.com for everything moto related but one suggestion would be a bag like this one;

Hide-away Tail Trunk :: Tail Trunks :: Seat Bags and Tail Bags :: Packing It In :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear that folds up under your seat till you need it.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #20
Saffaman91
Registered Member

ok, thanks guys. i think the jap bike would be a good choice, they seem to have much higher quality as far as cars go too. Well I'll have to see how it plays out. Contact my friends dad who does insurance and ask him haha. So duel sport it will be, possibly haha.