Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #181
Marc936
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
AND boots AND pants. Jeans and street shoes don't cut it. Imagine sliding down the road and watching your kneecaps or ankles getting ground down into the bone. Pretty easy to do, unless you have the right gear.

oh i already have boots and pants, thats why i didnt put it on there
Marc936 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #182
Gottvonalles
Registered Member

Default Interested in Buying my first bike (Have Read "New Riders" Thread)

****I hope this doesn't get too wordy****

howdy motorcycle.com and motorcycle enthusiasts,

I've been interested in buying a bike for the first time. I've had some free time and cash to spend this summer and decided to start riding. First thing I did was visit this site and read the introduction thread.
I'm a 26 year old mature guy. I'm not buying a bike because I watched a youtube video, or read a magazine, or have been goaded by a friend. I'm genuinely interested in getting into cycling as another hobby. I've owned a Z-28 Camaro in High School, so I got all the speed demon out of me at a young age. I'm still in college and will be graduating shortly.
I know I'm going to get flamed and told not to by everyone. I think it is a good idea to start out with something like the 250's everyone linked, but I've had my eyes set on a GSX since I was 15 years old and flipping through Cycle World hehehhee
I'm looking to spend around $1500 on my first bike. I'm just looking for something that won't break me or the bank. I found a $1300 86 GSXR 1100 in town that I could probably get for cheaper.

OK, I'll leave room for people to tell me that I shouldn't get this bike, but onto my real questions please:

1) I've looked into MSF courses around here and found a class just down the street. I'm 110% taking this course because I'm scared SH%#less about thinking about riding a bike without any training. I rode a dirt bike 10 years ago, but that doesn't count hehhehe. How much are these classes usually and how long? I've been in college for 6 years, so I think sitting in class for a few hours will not kill me. Indiana waives the driver test after completing this course, but do I have to take the written again? It's been 10 years.

2) I'm also concerned about other expenses. Insurance will be fine. I'm over 25 with a clean record. Insurance on my car is $30/month. My real concern is safety gear. From what I've read here I will need gloves, jacket, pants, boots, and helmet. Any suggestions on a decent brand for any of these? I budgeted $300 for safety gear.

3) OK, maybe I could be a little more lenient on a first bike. I just want something a little sporty and fun to ride. $1500 used is kind of my budget, I know I won't be getting any lookers in this range.
My friend has a bike and he is a freaking psycho. I have no intentions of being half the crazy, Marine macho guy he is hahhahahahaha. This guy bought an 1100 Honda sport tourer as his first bike and his first time on a bike was riding it off the showroom floor and 700 miles home. BUT! I do want to cruise around town and the country roads with him. I would like a bike that can at least keep him in distance so he doesn't disappear over the horizon.

To wrap this rant up!

I hope my enthusiasm for this sport/hobby is enough to get some talk going with all the riding pros on these forums. From what I've read in other posts, there are some caring and informative users on this forum and I hope that you can share some of your knowledge to a seriously interested person to join your ranks.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #183
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

The class is $200 around here, and it's one week night in the classroom and 2 weekend days on the training bikes.

You'll probably be ok on the Gixxer if you don't get stupid. Just because it will go triple digits doesn't mean you have to. Pick your weather, routes, and traffic at first, avoid riding with the macho bozo, and be aware that mistakes really, really, really hurt.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #184
pushrod
Founding Member

Stay away from the GSX1100, unless you are a mechanic. Great bike, bulletproof motor, but it's over 20 years old!

MSF course. I most emphatically endorse taking the course, even if you took it years before. They go for $150 here, but the bike is provided. With the certificate, you waive the practical for your license, but you will have to do the written test. Not too hard.

Insurance will vary greatly on what bike you buy, and what coverage you want. One of the regulars on this forum is an Insurance guy, and is good about giving good guidance.

$1500 will not buy you a lot of motorcycle. Try to buy a good bike. By a POS for a "good price" and you may pay twice as much to get it running reliably.

$300 will not buy you a lot of safety gear. In order, get a helmet, then a jacket, then good boots, then gloves, then pants. I give that order, because you can wear non-motorcycle (but sturdy) items like work gloves, hiking boots, etc.

Good luck!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #185
Gottvonalles
Registered Member

WOW! that was fast. Thanks folks!

I started looking at safety gear prices right after I wrote my first post. I didn't expect it to be that expensive, but I guess I can understand since it contains vast amounts of leather. I guess I'll have to slowly get all the gear. I do not want to skimp on safety in the least. I'll start with a good helmet and then take your advise with the rest of the gear. I have a good summer job, so I'll eventually get all the correct gear before I take her out on the highway or at any higher speeds. I'll be content getting over the fear of turning at 10 mph hehhehe.

My "Macho Bozo" friend, thanks for the coinage and I'll start calling him that now, knows how to work on bikes. He told me learning to work on your own bike will save thousands. I'm mechanically inclined, so that helps. Of course I will get the old Gixxer looked over really well before I buy it, just like I would buying a new car.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #186
pushrod
Founding Member

Leather isn't necessarily the best choice. I like Joe Rocket synthetic gear for a variety of reasons. Two biggies are cost and washability. Their stuff seems to be well made, too. You can usually find the "legacy" vesions of their gear at fairly steep discounts. For instance, V.7 will be chaper than V.8.

The big bike thing is just a warning. Most bikes go plenty fast.

As I like to say, "It isn't the speed that gets you, it's the inability to make the turn or to stop in time!" I've seen people screw themselves up badly on a moped.

Again, good luck!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #187
seruzawa
The Toad

The '86 GSXR has the old air/oil cooled engine which is as nigh bulletproof an engine as the world has ever seen. People have easily gotten over 100,000 miles from that engine. One problem to look for is leaky seals. The rest of the bike is likely to be your problem. If the shocks need rebuilding, battery, steering head bearings, swingarm bushings, etc etc it is likely to cost another couple thousand. If those things are bad the bikes is going to be extremely unsafe to ride. You should take your friend who knows bikes with you to check it out. Things to look for include STP thickener in the oil to cover up bad rings and valves, leaks around seals and shock, any evidence that the bike has a bent frame. Sportbikes are ridden very hard usually and so I'd be leery of a sportbike that old. Plus, a lot of the parts are discontinued. Assume that everything the owner tells you is a lie.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #188
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
As I like to say, "It isn't the speed that gets you, it's the inability to make the turn or to stop in time!" I've seen people screw themselves up badly on a moped.

Again, good luck!
Chuck Yeager said: "Flying is no big deal. It's the landings that seem to be the issue."
Old 05-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #189
Gottvonalles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The '86 GSXR has the old air/oil cooled engine which is as nigh bulletproof an engine as the world has ever seen. People have easily gotten over 100,000 miles from that engine. One problem to look for is leaky seals. The rest of the bike is likely to be your problem. If the shocks need rebuilding, battery, steering head bearings, swingarm bushings, etc etc it is likely to cost another couple thousand. If those things are bad the bikes is going to be extremely unsafe to ride. You should take your friend who knows bikes with you to check it out. Things to look for include STP thickener in the oil to cover up bad rings and valves, leaks around seals and shock, any evidence that the bike has a bent frame. Sportbikes are ridden very hard usually and so I'd be leery of a sportbike that old. Plus, a lot of the parts are discontinued. Assume that everything the owner tells you is a lie.
Thanks again for the insight. I know what to look for in a car as far as mechanical flaws when buying used. I appreciate the tips about used bikes. The bike has been sitting there a good week and I've looked at it multiple times. There are no oil spots or anything where it has been sitting and I didn't notice any leaks anywhere when I did a quick inspection, but I'm the kind of person that will go as far as the owner lets me, even if that means taking it to a shop to get checked out/tuned, before I lay my hard earned cash on the table.
Most of the listed "trouble items" will be high priority from here on out when I go look at a bike. Thanks for the free info, I usually have to pay Purdue $500 for anything that good . The bike was a little rusted on the accessories. The kick stand, some of the exhaust, and the back brake. This isn't the end all for me as far as bikes I'm looking at, its just the cheapest.
I'm definitely bringing my "Macho Bozo" friend and another of his friends, because they are my resident professionals, with me whenever I go for a serious look at a bike. This is the same as bringing my mechanic grandfather with me when I bought my first car and when I brought my shredder buddy with me when I bought my first guitar.
Maybe if you guys keep spilling your brains out on the forum this can be another "First timers please READ" thread heheh.

You guys have been exceptionally helpful and you have my gratitude.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #190
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

No offense, but ALL questions about first bikes for new riders go in this thread.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote