Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #171
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Check out this video. YouTube - dumbass on motorcycle
By the way, all the bikes you mention are very light for motorcycles; they are race bikes, made for speed. Take an MSF course, then buy a used Ninja 250 or 500, ride it every day for six months and then decide what to get for your next bike. And don't forget to buy a full-faced helmet and the rest of the gear.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #172
taroking
Registered Member

Hi,
I never rode a bike, until I took my MSF course. I want to get better at it, so I am looking around for a bike. I am 5'10" and 180 lbs. I live in San Francisco, but tend to do a lot of highway commuting.
I also finished reading the sticky on new riders, but I still have a few questions I hope you can help me with.

1) At the MSF course, I rode the 250 Rebel and 250 Nighthawk. I liked them and might consider them as a first bike, but I was wondering if they will be suitable for highway commute? and daily commute in hilly San Francisco.
2) In one of the post, it was recommended that new riders take dirt riding courses, where can I do that?
3) Where and how should I practice traffic riding? I notice that even in my car, there are a lot of crazy drivers out there, i can't imagine what it will be like in a bike.
4) Should I really go with a DP or ninja 250 (two of the other options being suggested as newbie bikes) as my first bike ( I never tried them, but as I said, I really liked the standard bikes.
5) How should I shop for gear? Does brand name matter? or just feel?
taroking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #173
Mr_Hamid
Registered Member

Default First Bike Help

Im turning 16 and im deciding on what sportbike or sport/cruiser bike i should buy. My cost limit is $6000. Im 177 pounds and 5'8 or 5'9. Do you you guys have any good bikes that could help me. Thanks alot

Last edited by Mr_Hamid : 04-09-2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: mistake
Mr_Hamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:47 AM   #174
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Get a used Kawasaki 250 and call it a day. You will spend less than half of the 6 G's.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #175
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Get a used Kawasaki 250 and call it a day. You will spend less than half of the 6 G's.
With PLENTY left-over for Crack-a-lackin' Gear!

I like the Icon stuff, personally. The old TiMax gloves and the "Advance - Skorpion" helmet went real well with my Kobe' perf'd-leather jacket. I look like a refugee from "The Wraith" or "Mad Max" with 'em on........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #176
jridgeway
Registered Member

Default First time rider

I am looking to get a bike that is good on the road, in town and some highway. It does not have to be new but it has to be forgiving of a novice.
Can any of the experienced riders give me some insights into good makes and styles that will keep a 44 year old entertained for many years.
jridgeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #177
Gluge
Registered Member

EX500 (also called Ninja 500)
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #178
Marc936
Registered Member

hi guys, a possible bike owner in the near future here posting, i got my permit today and taking my MSF classes may 21st until then im window shopping bikes

i never driven a bike before, first time riding will be the MSF class

i am trying to look for a bike that wouldnt be too powerful to start out with, but also be fun at the same time (i dont ever plan to speed, i had 2 rx7's and an iroc camaro and i dont think i ever went 5 over the speed limit), also i would like one that i can bring my female companion on with no troubles once and a while

for a little info on me, im 20, 5'8" 150 lbs and my girl is 5'4" ~100 lbs? i honestly have no clue lol, i mainly just am going to use this bike to commute to school which is only 10 miles away, and drive it at night when no cars are around,

it would be nice to have an aesthetically pleasing bike that i can drive around in for a couple years and not get bored until i graduate college and buy a nicer one, but nothing so big it will kill me

i would like to spend around 4k for bikes, helmet, jacket, and gloves
Marc936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #179
seruzawa
The Toad

You might know better after taking the MSF course. Since you want to ride double you might think about a medium displacement bike like the Kawasaki EX500 or the Suzuki GS500E/F. Dual purpose bikes are good for learners but the passenger accomodations are a bit tight. (That might be a good thing.) I'd avoid taking passengers until you get a couple of months experience at least.

One concern is that just about everyone drops their bike at least once while learning. Often just dropping it over in the parking lot. The full fairings on a lot of bikes cost a lot of money and are surprisingly easy to damage. Another option might be the Kawasaki 454 twin cruiser.

You'll have to shop around and sit on a lot of bikes. Buying used is the best for a beginner. You can learn and then when you feel the need to change you often can sell it for the same as you paid for it.

Don't forget to get good gear and ALWAYS wear it. Demand that your passenger have gear too.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #180
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc936 View Post
i would like to spend around 4k for bikes, helmet, jacket, and gloves
AND boots AND pants. Jeans and street shoes don't cut it. Imagine sliding down the road and watching your kneecaps or ankles getting ground down into the bone. Pretty easy to do, unless you have the right gear.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote