Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-02-2008, 05:25 AM   #161
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwellington View Post
So I figured it's my turn to give the tongue lashing a go. I'm a new rider (a la posting in this thread) and taking the MSF class next month. I'm a 5'11" 240lb guy. (Yes, I'm a large Asian. Side note: One of the main reasons for a sport bike. Large Asian in a skull cap on a cruiser?)

Anyways, I've been poking around for a first bike. I've talked to some of my friends (some knowledgeable, others not so much...) and they've suggested the EX500s, GS500, Ninja 500s and other sub-600cc bikes, but I can't seem to find any of them used at a price that doesn't warrant picking up a new one. I live in the NYC area and the average recent non-scratched GS500 is going for about 3-3.5k. Ideally, I'd like the SV650S (Going for 4.5k in good condition, if you can ever find one) which I can "grown into" and not want to sell it after riding it for 4 months.

Long story, short: I've been looking for a decent used bike for the last month or so and things are coming up short. So I've kind of just said eff it and putting serious thought into picking up an overstocked SV650S from a dealer. (~6,000 around here). Of course, I'd leave out the lower fairings to save myself and my wallet the heartache of buying new fairings after a week. (Mainly a stepping stone for an eventual sport touring.)

Just looking for someone to verbally slap me out of the idea or push me over the edge. Either way...
As opposed to a large Asian in a wife-beater and backwards-ballcap on a Gixxer Thou?

The SV650(and "S" model) is a great bike; lightweight, good power, usable suspension, decent ergos. It's about a step and a half above what I consider as the average "starter" bike (so far as power goes) - but you're a fairly big guy.

It's doubtful you could ever "outgrow" the SV - you might lust for more power after awhile, but that's coming from a base emotion.

Personally, I would go with the Standard model - cheaper, less to break when you drop it (that upper-fairing breaks just as easily as the lowers) - usually just a dent in the tank and a peg or pedal and a lever, few scrapes, etc. It's got better ergos (but there is something to be said for hiding that fugly frame with plastic).

You COULD do worse, the SV is very manageable if you can control that right wrist.

You'll wear it like a hat if you can't.

Don't forget to budget for gear: AT THE LEAST a helmet, gloves, sturdy boots, and armoured jacket. Consider armoured pants, too. Lots of good choices out there for gear.

It's either that, or the backward-ballcap and the Gixxer Thou.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2008, 05:27 AM   #162
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, you seem to be someone with with a decent level of maturity and restraint (2 characteristics most of us on MO sadly lack) so I say that an SV650 would be just fine for you. Though I would recommend the plain SV650 over the S. Simply because I think that clipon handlebars are a scourge for street riding and newbies. Hopefully after some experience you will lose that unfortunate sense of restraint and buy a Boss Hoss, dual turbo. Or you might just keep the SV because no one ever really grows out of one... they just think they do.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:08 AM   #163
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'm sorry, I'm still chuckling over the large Asian in a beanie helmet on a cruiser, though I think you'd need buck teeth and thick glasses to REALLY pull off the stereotype. You could always wear a full face helmet and ride whatever you want, with the added benefit of not mashing your mug if you land face first......

Your choice of course..... I'd go with the SV650, maybe the new Ninja 650 from kawasaki, even a 600 Bandit or a Z 750 S Kawasaki if you can find one. All around the same price and all decent power and handling w/o being too much for you.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #164
gwellington
Registered Member

Haha, unfortunately I lack the buck teeth and the rice hat helmet to go with the stereotype.

I've picked up all my gear already: Shoei RF-1000 helmet (the non-ridiculous graphics kind), Teknic full-gauntlet gloves, Icon jeans, Dainese perf-leather jacket, and Sidi boots and I plan to abide by the ATGATT rule.

I was thinking about the SV650 standard. The mirrors kind of throw me off though, but definitely a nice bike either way.

The Boss Hoss/Tomahawks are cool, but I'm partial to the Triumph Rocket III.

As a follow-up question, is the ABS worth it?

Last edited by gwellington : 04-02-2008 at 07:43 AM.
gwellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #165
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'd say as a general rule ABS is worth it, specialy in wet weather. You may not plan to but most likely you'll wind up in the rain at some point. It's a learned skill to modulate the front and rear brakes to get the shortest stopping distances, if the road is wet then it's that much easier to lock up the wheels and skid. ABS will prevent that for the most part so I'd say yes it's worth it.

Do you just not like the way the mirrors look or can't you see with them? You should rely on head checks anyway but there are usually some aftermarket mirrors that will work. Good choice in riding gear, probably the smartest choice. When I started out it was the basic jean jacket, 3/4 helmet I used in the dirt, army boots and leather work gloves unless you could afford a Belstaff suit. It's nice there's so many gear options now.

Looks like you have your heart set on the SV, I think it's a good choice for you, take it easy and learn how the bike will react to different situations, practice your braking, specially the front brake and you'll be fine.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 AM   #166
gwellington
Registered Member

Yeah, I agree with you about the ABS, but I'm afraid I might end up relying on the ABS too much and be screwed on a bike without it.

I'm just not a fan of the mirror styles, but it's something I can get over. And yeah, I'm definitely happy about the riding gear. Figured I should at least be presentable for an open casket.

Thanks for your advice guys and gals. SV650 ABS it is!
Old 04-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #167
gwellington
Registered Member

So, I think I'm going to bail on the SV650 for now. My non-squid friend is insisting that I go with a non-new bike for my first one and it really would be sad if I tipped it over.

Probably going to end up with a beater GS500, EX500 or some other bike. Sad, but probably for the best. Now to figure out how to get a decent used bike without getting screwed...
Old 04-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #168
gwellington
Registered Member

Haha, will do.

I'll be wearing the Shoei spiked helmet as well to go with it.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #169
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Ninja 250, maybe 500.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #170
12er
Founding Member

Wee Strom 650 and order the new seat from Corbin or Sargent as your signing the papers on the bike. Commute your brains out. I concur with all the statements above, but if your balls are bigger than your brain just pick up the gxr 1000 and dont forget to leave it on the "A" Setting.

The Wee Strom will smoke your mustang, the liter bikes will smoke you! Good luck.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote