Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 03-08-2008, 08:01 AM   #141
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max12345 View Post
Hi everyone,

My name is max and i am 18 years old. I have never rode a motorcycle in my entire life and in the past couple months i have really been wanting one. I recently just signed up for a safety motorcycle class that starts in June and i would really like to get one shortly after that (within a couple of weeks or a month). At first i wanted either the sv1000s or the FZ1, but then i came to the conclusion that those bikes may be a little to powerful for my first bike so now i have decided that my decision lies between the sv650 and the FZ6. I really like these two bikes, but i do not know which one would be better for me to start with. I am open to other ideas for bikes too and would really like the hear other recommendations, but i would really like to know if i could start with a sv650 or FZ6.

Well Max, if you follow your instincts rather than the Lust in you heart, you just might live to your 2nd bike.

Between the two, the SV650 has a more-forgiving "personality" over the FZ-6. While "tamed" a bit over the R6, the FZ still has power-delivery characteristic of your typical Supersport - not really forgiving of the ham-fist of a New Rider.

That said, the SV650 isn't exactly what I'd call a "Beginner Bike", either. It's just MORE suitable than the FZ; but that doesn't mean I'd endorse one for someone who has yet to straddle a moto.

MY advice (worth exactly what you're paying for it here) is to TAKE the MSF course FIRST. THEN shop around, and come back here to ask questions. (Hint: I personally think the new Ninja 250 is the Fargin' Shizznit, Yo!)

Motorcycling isn't for everybody, and there's no shame in finding-out it isn't for you (not necessarily YOU-you, if you knowwhutImean, Vern).

Failing any/all that, one should just buy themself a ZX-14 or a BossHoss on Credit, and Katie-Bar-the-Fargin'-Door on the throttle, after aiming it first at the nearest immovable-object or heavy, rush-hour traffic..........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #142
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I have 9 months until the truck is paid off. After that I am getting a second bike. It will probably be the little ninja. I would rather ring the hell out of the Ninja 250 than be stuck with a bigger bike riding around in second gear on these two lane back roads that I'm surrounded by...unless Kawi redesigns the Ninja 500.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #143
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Default Yes it would be sweet...

An updated 500R or EX what ever you want to call it would be the cats...

pajamas.
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #144
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Isn't that why they came out with the Ninja 650? to replace the 500?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #145
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
Isn't that why they came out with the Ninja 650? to replace the 500?
I think they came out with it to pursue the lucrative SV650 market. The Ninja500's a different animal entirely and is a big seller in markets with restrictions on bikes above 500cc.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #146
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Yes it would...as long as they didn't eff it up and try to make it a race bike.

Just update the look and throw a few modern parts in there for a little more vroom power.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #147
Max12345
Registered Member

Default What type of bike should i get?

Hey guys,
earlier this week, i asked a question about what bike i should get, but i am still not sure at all what bike to get. I have never rode a bike in my life (but i am starting a class in a couple of months) and i just keep hearing so many different things from everyone and i do not know which bike to choose. I am 5'11 and weigh 155lbs. I have been looking deep into the 2008 ninja 250 and the sv650. Please give me all your opinions on which bike i should start with.
Max12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #148
seruzawa
The Toad

Either of those are good choices. The 650 only if you have a decent level of maturity. It's 70 horsepower is plenty for any level of sane riding.

The ninja 250 can be had used cheaply, learned on, and then resold at virtually no monetary loss.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #149
Max12345
Registered Member

Would the 250 ninja be fit for long trips? I am 18 and i am leaving for college in the fall. I would be traveling from Chicago to Albany New York. Would the 250 be able to make that trip?
Max12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #150
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max12345 View Post
Would the 250 ninja be fit for long trips? I am 18 and i am leaving for college in the fall. I would be traveling from Chicago to Albany New York. Would the 250 be able to make that trip?

Four years-ago, there was a man ran the Iron Butt Rally on a Ninja 250 (previous generation, of course). To be certain, I imagine it wasn't in as much comfort as guys on a larger bike.

A set of soft-luggage, tank bag, maybe a tail bag. Granted, the wind-resistance of a set of luggage will probably slow the bike a bit, but how fast do you need to go?

Your size is just-about ideal for this bike, IMHO.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote