Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 03-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #131
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

The little Ninja is a good choice for a more experienced rider as well as for a beginner. You'll do well with it.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #132
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Default Check this out!

Ninja250 Riders Club :: Index
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #133
seruzawa
The Toad

You might also check out the neat Hyosung 250 Vtwin.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #134
12er
Founding Member

I ride with shades as I hate changing face shields. So shades on the tank, throw lid on, insert shades. Happy Camper! I dont know much about the flip ups but I assume with more ways for air and noise to get in the louder they are. Your mileage my very...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #135
ejis
Founding Member

Not all flip-ups are created equal. The safety "problem" with flip-ups is the chance that the chin bar will release in a crash. Most lids sold in the States have pretty beefy (technical term) hinge and latch mechanisms, but look at this closely and decide if you're comfortable with the design.

A more noticeable issue with many flip-ups is that they usually weigh a significant amount more than a comparable full-face, which can make them more fatiguing to wear.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #136
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I bought a Shoei MultiTek flip up about a year ago after many years with a RF900. Before that I had a BMW System helmet made by Schubarth.

I don't notice an awful lot of difference in noise between the Multi and the '900, the 900 was quieter but not by a significant amount. The Multi ventilates a whole lot better and I can actually ride in cold weather high humidity situations with out having to crack the shield open unless I'm going very slow.

Comfortwise I prefer the Multi, it makes it easier to get on and off without ripping my ears and earings off and it's nice to be able to flip up the chin bar and get some air or talk if need be. Overall I'd recommend one with no reservations, it's a comfy, well made unit and I don't worry about the chin bar failing in an accident. Maybe with a cheaper brand but Shoei's are one of the best made helmets out there, the only downside is you pay for the quality and name, they're not cheap and the flip ups don't have any graphics so you're plain jane wearing one.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #137
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I bought a Shoei MultiTek flip up about a year ago after many years with a RF900. Before that I had a BMW System helmet made by Schubarth.
So, I've had a chance to test the flip up configuration with my $68 cheapo. I like it, but of course, the cheapo is...well...cheap. So I'm thinking about getting a MultiTek with the next Social Security check (that I steal from the neighbor). Questions:

1. What, about $450?
2. How's the noise level versus std. full face? Worse, a little noisier, can't tell the difference?
3. How's it do in the rain? FL monsoons abound, and in four hours I'll be going 300 miles in the rain to Daytona. Does the Multi stay dry?

Thanks Snarli!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #138
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
So, I've had a chance to test the flip up configuration with my $68 cheapo. I like it, but of course, the cheapo is...well...cheap. So I'm thinking about getting a MultiTek with the next Social Security check (that I steal from the neighbor). Questions:

1. What, about $450?
2. How's the noise level versus std. full face? Worse, a little noisier, can't tell the difference?
3. How's it do in the rain? FL monsoons abound, and in four hours I'll be going 300 miles in the rain to Daytona. Does the Multi stay dry?

Thanks Snarli!

1. Yeah, right around there..it pays to shop around.

2. After 33 years in High Pressure Steam Plants my hearing has suffered somewhat, that said I'd say it was maybe a little louder but not a significant amount

3. Yeah it seals up good and as long as you're moving it ventilates well too. The chin bar has a good vent in it and by breathing downward the shield stays pretty clear.

It's the best helmet I've owned, I have a Shoei head so they fit me very well and being able to flip up the chin bar in slow-and-go traffic and get some air is a real plus. If this one got stolen I'd buy another one without hesitation. The only downside is I like some kind of graphics on my lid and the Multi's are solid colors, I solved that by adding reflective turn arrows on the back. The one I have is black, I'd get white or yaller next time for the visibility and supposedly cooler summer temps.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #139
bbtowns
Founding Member

We just need to put Sachi's post on the front page, save a bunch of duplicate posts and not instigate the easily instigated here.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #140
Max12345
Registered Member

Default First Bike! Need help in picking one!

Hi everyone,

My name is max and i am 18 years old. I have never rode a motorcycle in my entire life and in the past couple months i have really been wanting one. I recently just signed up for a safety motorcycle class that starts in June and i would really like to get one shortly after that (within a couple of weeks or a month). At first i wanted either the sv1000s or the FZ1, but then i came to the conclusion that those bikes may be a little to powerful for my first bike so now i have decided that my decision lies between the sv650 and the FZ6. I really like these two bikes, but i do not know which one would be better for me to start with. I am open to other ideas for bikes too and would really like the hear other recommendations, but i would really like to know if i could start with a sv650 or FZ6.
Max12345 is offline   Reply With Quote