Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 03-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #121
pushrod
Founding Member

Nefilim, what part of the country are you in?

What kind of money you looking to spend?

And, are you set on a "cruiser", or are you still trying to determine what you are going to so with the bike?

And, welcome to the site! Don't let those other guys hurt your feelings. They get bored. Sometimes they forget to take their pills.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #122
acecycleins
Founding Member

Want something cool for low, low bucks? Yamaha made a bike in the 80s called the Maxim. 85-86 they came out with the Maxim X. A water-cooled version of the bike. I rode one of these for 6 yrs. Shaft drive, easy to maintain and stone cold reliable. You can find really good examples for under $2000. BTW- I'm 6' and at the time 210lbs. I'm a slightly heavier by 50 lbs now. Shut up about the exercise- I'm going for the Santa look now.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #123
seruzawa
The Toad

On second thought Hyosung sells a 650cc cruiser at a decent price. It's also got pretty decent brakes for a cruiser.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #124
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Perhaps a project to create a compilation of sage advice, snazzy graphics, video ect... could be undertaken and kept on hand in link form. Kind of a "I wanna get a bike" primer. Oh sufficiently screened by the legal staff to avoid any potential legal entaglements, ok that might look like a blank page.

But if not it could provide some decent canned info for the uninitiated to look at first prior to asking questions. A "sticky" kind of thing.

I'll bet Fonzie and Pete could ham up something pretty cool/funny.

Maybe they could get this guy whose trying to get a license to help.
Soup :: Hopkins Scheduled For Scooter Test :: 03-03-2008

I'm suprised he's allowed on the road at all by his contract.

Last edited by sfcdjevans : 03-03-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: C'mon that link is at least a little funny.
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #125
dodogenocide
Registered Member

Default Helmets

Since I wear glasses, I was wondering if there were any major safety advantages to having a standard full-face helmet instead of a flip-up. If a full-face is somehow better, I can deal with taking my glasses on and off every time I put on the helmet. If not, a flip-up would save me some trouble.

Are there any other special things I should know about for riders with glasses?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #126
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

There's endless debate about full face versus standard helmets. Most sensible people agree that full face provides more protection, and that outweighs the very minor chance that the full face might cause a neck injury. A flip up is just a full face with a hinge; I supposed if you rode around with it flipped up, it might have some added risk, but the idea is to open it when stopped or going slow and close it when at speed. The flipped up chin bar is like an airbrake on your head at anything over 20 mph anyway.

The glasses are a non issue, just have them on when you try the helmet. Some helmets (full faced or not)will push the glasses down on the bridge of your nose. My Shoei doesn't, my cheapo flip up does.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #127
seruzawa
The Toad

I used to use flipups but I changed to the lightest helmet I can find (Arai Astral) and just put on the glasses after putting on the helmet. The lighter helmet is more comfortable and fits better than any flipup I've tried. Comfort and fit are most important with other features coming in a very poor second.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #128
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Comfort and fit are most important with other features coming in a very poor second.
I Second that!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #129
Lambert
Registered Member

Lightbulb First Bike - Ninja 250?

Hey, I just completed the MSF a couple of days ago and I am looking around for a good beginner's bike. My price range, is around $2500, 3000 at most.

With the Ninja 250, I like the fact that a used 2004-2006 is only a couple years old and within my price range. The age of the bike inclines me to believe that I will have to worry less about serious mechanical problems when I first buy it. Am I correct in making this assumption? Also, Are there any advantages of buying a used Ninja from a dealership as opposed to Craigslist? Finally, I was wondering if there is anything specific to the Ninja I should watch out for when buying used?
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #130
pushrod
Founding Member

Lambert,

Welcome to the forum!

While I can't help you with the specifics on the Ninja 250, I would suggest you do a search on this site for "First Bike" or "Beginner". There have been several threads lately on the subject.

Good on ya for taking and completing the MSF course! Now is the time to go and really learn!

Buy quality protective gear, too. It's worth every penny!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote