Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 03-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #111
acecycleins
Founding Member

The kinder, gentler MO at work right before our very eyes. WOW!

You'll have more room on the Suzuki than the Honda..
I'd say used is your best bet. Look at a 3 or 4 year old C50 in the $3500 range. Ride it for a couple of years and you'll sell it for $3000. When that clicks by then feel free to move up to a larger cc size and keep it for a while. You'll be a happy new rider by keeping the money from a new purchase safely in the bank.

Last edited by acecycleins : 03-03-2008 at 10:18 AM.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #112
Teh_ROFFLES
Registered Member

Default Sport or Cruiser

I've been thinking about getting a Motorcycle License through the training course route for a while now, but I've just been worried about what kind of bikes I'll be able to ride and should ride considering where I live.

Well here's some info about me:

Height: 5'9"-10"
Weight: 205 (Meh, probably could loose a few pounds by running )
Live: Northern California
Teh_ROFFLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #113
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I would suggest a motorcycle with two wheels, and an internal-combustion engine.

A working braking-system attached to each wheel might help, too.

Seats are for Sissies, though.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #114
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

it's best to start out on something smaller with a more managable riding position and powerband. learn to ride and handle traffic first, they step up if you want to, I'd stay away from sportbikes for the time being until you get some experiance.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #115
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Ok, guys, be nice.

Roffles, to be honest I think a sportier bike (note - I did not say "sport bike") would be lovely in Northern California. I have ridden those roads and there's a lot of good stuff. At least for me, a cruiser would be a less-appealing choice because they are just not designed for riding curves.

That said, the regulars here always recommend a used standard or dual sport bike for your first ride. Why? Because you'll almost surely drop your bike as you learn how to ride, and because bikes can be found with engines around 500-650 cc, which is a good range to have when you are learning. Note again that we DO NOT recommend a sport bike (that is, a faired bike with aggressive seating position such as a Suzuki GSXR or Honda CBR600RR), because the engines in those bikes are so highly tuned that they are far too powerful and unusable for a beginner (not to mention expensive to insure and to fix when you drop it, as you will.)

Something like a Kawasaki EX 500, Suzuki GS 500, or Kawasaki DLR 650 would be a good choice for a starter bike. There are other choices; these are just a few that we commonly point to.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 AM   #116
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Hey now Ken, I've been married.

I've got 3 motorcycles now, but no wife! LOL

works better that way all right. I just bought a $400 dollar two tone leather seat from Corbin for the Dyna, it's nice not to hear any sh*t about spending my own money.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #117
pplassm
Founding Member

In my neck of the woods, anything uder $1k is likely to have issues. Are you prepared to deal with them?

Oh. wait. I read your first post again. You are looking for something to fix up.

Most Dual-sports that are over 10 years old ar around that price range. Just about all of them will accomodate your frame. XL/XR600/650L/R, XT600, DR650, even a KLX650, if you can find one.

For street bikes, just about any "standard" bike would be good. Hard to pinpoint a specific brand/model, though.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #118
seruzawa
The Toad

Default You poor b@astards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
works better that way all right. I just bought a $400 dollar two tone leather seat from Corbin for the Dyna, it's nice not to hear any sh*t about spending my own money.
The solution is to find a woman who likes to ride as much as you do. My wife is doing all the planning for our bike vacation this summer. All I have to do is provide the bike and ride. LOL!

Now if I can just get that dammed air bubble out that GL1100's dammed front brake system... mumble curse mumble.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #119
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'd try finding a GS series Suzuki if looking for a cheapo 70's bike. Myself I'd try to find a Hinkley (new version) Bonneville. I had a T100 for a year or so and found it to be an excellent bike, good handling, adequate but not earth shattering power and an off the charts cool factor. The Scrambler is the same bike with a little longer suspension, a high pipe and a 270 degree firing order instead of the traditional Brit. 360 degree firng order. Supposed to give it more torque...

any 70's era Japanese bike is liable to be an inexpensive P.O.S. Reapeat after me..."Japanese bikes are NOT easier to work on...Parts for Japanese bikes ARE hard to find and expensive as well".....

Last edited by sarnali2 : 03-03-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #120
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

My first wife loved to ride, we just had a lot of growing up to do, the second one did untill we had kids then it was "you need to sell that thing.." for 15 years. Everytime I got a new bike she'd be pissed, I finally just divorced her.

My current g/f thinks it's cool that I have a bike but doesn't want to ride herself. So far it hasn't been a problem, she don't mind if I go riding for the day and I don't mind driving when I'm out with her so it works out. It's actually nice to be with someone who's reasonable and rational for a change.