Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #91
ejis
Founding Member

MSF is putting you on a 250 'hawk - quite a bit smaller than the 750. The SV650 may be a little small for you. At 6' / 160lb, I wouldn't want to be a whole lot bigger on mine, even with the upgraded suspension. Same with a GS500e, though that's a great first bike. The dual sport / WeeStrom suggestions are good ones.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #92
pushrod
Founding Member

Sorry guys, I gotta...

Triumph Tiger 955! (Nothing wrong with the new (1050) ones- in fact they're better, but they're more moolah.)

Please note that I concur on the DP opinion, though.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #93
aju
Registered Member

Thanks for all the opinions. It seems everyone recommends a dual sport. I do kind of sort of appreciate the DRZ400SM (I sat on one at a dealership once), but I can't really picture myself riding any of the more dirt-bike like rides. Are there any small displacement standards good for someone my height?

(BTW, that Triumph looks really cool)
aju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #94
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by aju View Post
Thanks for all the opinions. It seems everyone recommends a dual sport. I do kind of sort of appreciate the DRZ400SM (I sat on one at a dealership once), but I can't really picture myself riding any of the more dirt-bike like rides. Are there any small displacement standards good for someone my height?

(BTW, that Triumph looks really cool)
Not really. About the best you could do would be a used Suzuki GS500E, the unfaired one. There just aren't many standards at all, much less small displacement ones. At 6'6" your choices become limited. The 650 V-Strom is a good suggestion, though it isn't a small displacement bike. Maybe the 650 Versys would do too. Both are full sized with plenty of go but quite user friendly with excellent seating and ability to see all around you.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #95
pushrod
Founding Member

A guy your size needs ergonomic features that ensure adequate distance from seat to peg so your legs don't kink, and a reach to the bars from the seat that is neither too far nor too close. Also, the amount of weight the riding position puts on your hands and wrists. Riding a poor fitting bike for any distance is not much fun.

The DPs usually have the ergoes that make them the common suggestion for you. The DPs are the Wrong bike for those riders that are short of leg (and/or arm) for the same reason.

Now, as to your question about a small displacement standard. The smallest bike you'll want is a 500CC. Rough number. Dressed for the road, you'll probably have the bike hauling 240 pounds, and that's not considering a passenger. The displacement of the engine directly affects its ability to haul you around, but also indicates the size and capacity of the frame and suspension. Again, we're talking a Wee-Strom or the like. But, you asked about a standard.

Bear in mind that I'm a Triumph guy, but they make a variety of Bonnevilles based on a 650cc or bigger vertical twin. Good power, and the bigger variants, like the America would suit someone of your size.

I still vote for the Tiger. Used ones go for (sorta) cheap, and they don't look too goofy, even with the stripes. And the 955 is almost bullet-proof.

The other consideration for you when selecting a bike is: if you get on a bike that is too small, you face the possibility of looking like a circus bear on a toy bike.

HTH

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #96
aju
Registered Member

I have to say that I love the classic design of the Bonnevilles (the Scrambler is really cool too), but wonder if I'm in circus territory here - that and 800ccs is probably too much for a beginner. I guess I'll have to try one on for size. How are the older Triumphs in terms of reliability, milage, etc?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #97
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aju View Post
I have to say that I love the classic design of the Bonnevilles (the Scrambler is really cool too), but wonder if I'm in circus territory here - that and 800ccs is probably too much for a beginner. I guess I'll have to try one on for size. How are the older Triumphs in terms of reliability, milage, etc?
The fact that you are aware that an 800cc bike might be too much for you is a good indication you will do okay when handling the bike if that is what you go with.

Also, the triumphs are lighter than a cruiser and a lot less HP than a sportbike of the same engine size. An 800cc (or 600cc) sportbike engine is a lot different than what is in the retro Triumph's

And when you ask about older triumphs, how old do you mean? If you mean the mid 90's than reliability should be about what you would expect from any modern bike of that age, if you mean the original triumphs from the 60's, than you will need to brush up on your wrenching skills.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:06 PM   #98
pplassm
Founding Member

Toss it all! Get the new KTM 530EXC! What a bike!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #99
aju
Registered Member

Ok, well what I'd really like to do is get a really cheap (sub $1k) bike and ride it for several months just so I don't damage an expensive bike off the bat. This likely means a late 70s or 80s bike. I like the CBs, but again size is the issue. They seem to have decent seat heights (over 30 inches) but I'm not sure how this translates to seat to peg distance. What are some good choices for tall folk in bikes of this vintage?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #100
Nefilim
Registered Member

Default Starting cruiser?

I finished taking the MSF courses and got my license recently and now I'm in the market for a cruiser.

I'm probably going to go with a used bike, but pickings are still fairly slim at the moment, so I may end up finding a more affordable new bike than an older one.

I was initually just going to go with a 250cc bike to learn with, but after experience with them, they feel a bit small (I'm 6'0", 200lbs) and cheaply made. I was thinking of just going for a slightly bigger 500-750cc cruiser and I'm curious to know what you guys think are the most bang-for-the-buck out there at the moment?

I'm looking at the Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic, Suzuki M50, or Honda Shadow Spirit 750.
Nefilim is offline   Reply With Quote