Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
OnlyISay
Registered Member

Post A Customer Service GUY!

Hey all,

Just wanted to follow back up with you. I did purchase the Ninja ZX6E, i think that it will be a good fit for a starter bike for me... (I know many of you dont agree as it is a deadly sportbike) My plan is to learn as much about biking prior to my course in April and then start off slowly on the backstreets of my community until I slowly gain confidence and comfortability in my ride. (the guy wanted 2.5K and he got me for 1.8K which i feel is a fair price for the bike... as it was purchased for his wife, she laid it down once... (so now both sides were laid down) The risk i run is that the bike is not as mechanically as sound as what he says... i talked to the guy and have a feeling he really took pretty good care of it overall.

Okay, what I am here to ask is whether anyone would know of a good store/chain to buy good biking equiptment from. I need a safe and moderately priced full helmate and jacket, they dont need to be flashy. Since I have never been fitted for one I think my best bet to go to a store and determine my sizings?

As I am huge on customer service and dont mind paying a little more for good advide when it comes to an important decision like buying a helmate i just wanted to see if there are any store you would recommend or sites that provide good service?

Thanks again guys...

The Moto Idiot-
OnlyISay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

If there's a Cycle Gear franchise around they're pretty good, I think they're only on the West Coast though. Other than that you're going to have to look in the phone book and see what's around for your area. Any decent sized city should have a few options other than authorized dealers.

You could also be a total cheapskate and go try stuff on at the dealerships to see what works for you then buy online from M.A.W. or MotorcycleUSA Superstore..

Since we don't know where you are it's tough being anymore specific than that.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Try gear on at any bike shop. Search the internet for the best price. If the prices are comparable buy locally. Some shops will try to match mail order prices. I prefer to buy locally if I can, without getting ripped off, because I'd like the local shops to stay in business.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
OnlyISay
Registered Member

Lightbulb Oops!

Sorry guys I am in the Minneapolis/Metropolitan area, so upper midwest for you geography buffs!

Thanks again for your feedback.

Also, is name brand gear usually better quality? What is the best jacket and helmate brand in your opinion? A few options would be cool!

OnlyISay
Old 02-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

I'm a big fan of Joe Rocket gear. I wear a Meteor jacket in the Winter and a Phoenix Spring through Fall. Ballistic pants.

I haven't made any big purcchases lately, but some of my buddies have bought helmets and rider gear at metricbikes.com.

Helmets come in an eye-watering variety. A lot of folks say great things about Scorpion, which are relatively cheap and carried by a lot of suppliers. However, they don't make a hat for a "Long Oval" head. ARAI makes a very high quality hat for everyone, but they are 'spensive!

You'll want boots that lace, and cover your ankles. You can buy some pretty decent boots at Sears, etc. Avoid the armored toe boots, as they may not fit under your shifter peg.

Your best bet will be to go to several dealerships and try on the various bits. See how they look, and how they fit. Search the site for helmet and see what folks say about getting the right fit.

As far as killing yourself on a sportbike, remember it isn't the speed that gets you, it's the inability to make the corner or to stop before you hit something.

Rather than wait 'til April for your schoolin', go to either Amazon.com or leeparksdesign.com (his gloves are the s@&t!) and buy his book, "Total Control." $25 extremely well spent. Especially if you read it.

Good luck!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
OnlyISay
Registered Member

Good call, I am scowering the yellow pages right now!

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
OnlyISay
Registered Member

Nice, I will definately look into and purchase the book. I can use all the advice I can get at this point. I will likely check out the dealership gear to get the sizings right, then I will follow it with searching websites for good deals on the quality products i need. I will keep your suggestions in mind!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Helmets: find one that fits and is comfortable. Stay away from Icon.

Clothing: Look for ARMORED LEATHER for protection. Don't forget pants - jeans won't protect you at ALL. Also get boots that cover the ankle, and good leather gloves.

Again, stay away from Icon.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Helmets: find one that fits and is comfortable. Stay away from Icon.

Clothing: Look for ARMORED LEATHER for protection. Don't forget pants - jeans won't protect you at ALL. Also get boots that cover the ankle, and good leather gloves.

Again, stay away from Icon.

Well don't leave us hanging Darlin'...What's wrong with Icon????

Seriously, I Stick to Shoei's myself but is there an issue with Icons? I don't recall hearing anything but if you had a bad experiance then let us know what's what?

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
ejis
Founding Member

Ok M. Idiot - now you're in for it. We warned you, and that deathtrap is going to be the end of you! I mean, it's a NINJA!!! Er...sorry.

Congratulations on the purchase, and welcome.

Where are you located? I would suggest finding a good retail location and seeing what fits. Helmets especially are shaped differently and the only way to know what works for you is to try them on. Having a good salesman definitely helps, but as you might imagine, not all shops/salesmen are created equal. Some big dealerships are actually pretty good, while others you don't want to go near. Also, some small retailers have a very limited selection and will try to convince you that what they have is perfect for you.

As far as safety goes, your on the right track with a full-face helmet. Just look for a DOT sticker on it (SNELL is somewhat controversial, but many have it), though any name brand lid will be "safe". Fit and comfort really are the most important things. Expensive is not necessarily better, and there are a number of really good lids at very reasonable prices. You save a lot of money by getting a solid color.

For a jacket, you want something with some padding/armor in the shoulders and elbows, and you can either have back protection built in or separately. Either leather or fabric can be fine, but make sure it's of high quality construction. For the most part, you get what you pay for.

In addition to the helmet and jacket, you want to get good gloves, sturdy boots, and consider pants as well. Regular jeans are next to useless in a crash, even at slow speed (I know...)
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote