Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
OnlyISay
Registered Member

Yeah I know, the NINJA!!! soon I will have a different picture up and you can all get a chuckle at my investment. Hey I think it will be a good start if I take it seriously, and i will. Thanks for the advice on the helmet, jacket, and gloves. I am not sure how I feel about pants as I think that it may take away some of the fun of the ride, but will try some ones on when I vist a local dealer.

Thanks!
OnlyISay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
ejis
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyISay View Post
I am not sure how I feel about pants as I think that it may take away some of the fun of the ride, but will try some ones on when I vist a local dealer.

Thanks!
I highly suggest pants. Getting your bits caught between the seat and tank is downright uncomfortable. Also, shrinkage is always an issue at speed.

Riding pants take away none of the fun, rather they enhance it (in my opinion). First, they tend not to flap around as much which can be very annoying. Second, they protect your legs from bugs, pebbles, etc. Third, they give you some piece of mind which lets you relax, ride better, and have more fun. Fourth, they are infinitely more fun than serious skin abrasion (again, I know...) And as an added bonus, I hear the power ranger look is coming back into fashion.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
pushrod
Founding Member

OIS,

Regarding pants: Tonight when you ready yourself for bed, sit on the side of the bed and look at your bare knee. If possible, have a pound of raw hamburger in hand. Compare and contrast.

Lee Parks (yeah, same guy) wrote an article when he was Editor of Motorcycle Consumer News (a b!tchin' magazine, but expensive. No advertising) that talked about whether or not to wear proper gear.

He said something like,"I'm not going to tell you which way to go, but consider this. Most every guy has used a belt or disc sander. Most have managed to accidently touch the grit while the tool was running. You probably remember clearly how quickly it took a chunk of skin. Now, look down the next time you ride down the road. You are looking at a really big belt sander. Imagine a knee, elbow or shoulder hitting that, with all your weight behind it. 'Nuff said!'"

But, at the end of the day, it's all how you manage risk. Sure, riding is dangerous, but so is getting out of bed. Your call. Myself, I tend not to wear riding pants. It's just too hot here most of the time.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I always figure if you are afraid to get hurt, don't ride a motorcycle. You WILL get hurt now and then. The guys that love it get back on, and the ones that don't get another hobby.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
If there's a Cycle Gear franchise around they're pretty good, I think they're only on the West Coast though.
They are good. I buy a lot of stuff there from oil to jackets. They seem to be in many states now.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #16
12er
Founding Member

At the very least get some Draggin' Jeans, little protection is better than nothing. Reg levis are good for 5mph, above that its the belt sander ref above. Road rash sux! Nothing like picking gravel out of your skin 3 years later.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #17
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I wear my riding pants untill it gets too warm, after that I wear jeans. Aerostitch makes a pair of summer weight Darien pants so I'll most likely buy a pair for the hot weather. It's only upper 80's and 90's here for a month or two usually but I still feel better geared up, must be gettin' old......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #18
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

I'd say instead that you were getting smart.

Finally.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"must be gettin' old......"

Whatta ya mean gettin'?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #20
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Well don't leave us hanging Darlin'...What's wrong with Icon????

Seriously, I Stick to Shoei's myself but is there an issue with Icons? I don't recall hearing anything but if you had a bad experiance then let us know what's what?
That's kinda what I was thinkin' - I've had three of 'em now, with the exception of a loose chinbar-vent on my current one, zero problems with them.

My advice is: Buy what fits properly and is comfortable. If it hurts your head when riding, or you have to constantly be "adjusting" it because it's too loose - your mind is on your helmet - NOT on the road (and those 300-million other roadgoers that "can't see you" at the least, or detest every fiber of your being at the worst).
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote