Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
sopexc
Registered Member

Default liscence

hello, i was wondering is it that difficult to pass the motorcycle test to get your liscence taking it on a sport bike? ie yamaha r6.

ppl said its compareable to taking a regular driving test with a stick shift as taking a sport bike to a bike examination.

is there any truth to this? anyone can plz reply.
sopexc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
vermicious
Registered Member

The thing that gets a lot of people on a sports bike (particularly those who are used to cruisers) is low speed turning. There's a hell of a lot of that in the test. Having said that, I took my test on a Honda Helix *cough* so I wouldn't know
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

You shouldn't have any problem. The bike license is way too easy to get in the first place. New riders on R6s have no trouble passing the test and then getting out on the road and before long into hospital beds or cemeteries.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopexc View Post
hello, i was wondering is it that difficult to pass the motorcycle test to get your liscence taking it on a sport bike? ie yamaha r6.
it shld b impssble cuz itz stpd 2 b rdng sptbk whn u stl no got xprnc enuff 2 hv liscence yt. tk mc cls n gt ur liscence frm thm stpd.

if u cn rd ths u cn mke bg $$ as lgl scrtry. tk my smnr now!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I took my test on a '68 Bultaco Matador, the guy got pissed because I stood up on the pegs doing the low speed turns and stop and go's. He passed me with 100% but told me I had to sit down to ride on the street.

You should have no trouble on an R6, it's renown for it's low speed manuverability and forgiving powerband........

Actually you're f*cked, a 600 sportbike is not what you want to be learning on, they look cool but it's too much bike for a newbie to break in on. Do yourself a favor and ride a smaller standard or a dirtbike for awhile before you go racing around on a supersport.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Why are you asking? Did you just move to a new state and want to have a valid MC license for the bike you have been riding, or is this your first bike and you want a license?

Please, for the love of god, tell me it isn't the latter...
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
bbtowns
Founding Member

All states have different motorcycle tests. But many are given in a closed lot and test low speed skills. I'd think a 600 would be geared fairly high to make things like cone weaving or tight u-turns easy for a new rider, but it's a skill you need. I'd think the comparison to showing up with a stick shift to an auto driving test is like comparing apples to skid marks (I took my auto test with a 4 speed column shift manual transmission!)!
Took my bike test on a TS185 in CA., and a KLR650 in OR (had to prove it was more than 500cc with the manual), so I like the stand on the pegs advice!
You can pass the riding test by taking the MSF class in most states I believe, a far far better choice.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
sopexc
Registered Member

TY all for replying, i forgot to say that i am not a complete noobie, i have been riding since i was 11 my first bike was a 80cc dirt bike and have also ridden 125, 250, 400cc bikes. i just haven't had enough money to get a real street legal bike till recently. i am also not your typical dumb kid that does stupid things. i will always wear full protection and don't plan on doing anything beyond my skill once again thanks for the replies.
sopexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

You sound boring.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #10
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

You could always rent a cheap standard which would be easier for the MC course. Not sure where you are located, but I bet you could find a low CC standard style bike for rent. It would probably make things easier.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote