Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   What to wear? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/7315-what-wear.html)

sarnali2 02-22-2008 08:08 AM

True leather does offer more protection at high speeds due to better abrasion resistance. I however feel that a decent armored textile suit is fine for general street use without the hassel of having to stop and put on rain gear every time it sprinkles. I've done both, I have an excellent leather jacket and armored leather pants that I wore for years with a rain coat and rain pants over them in the wet and I've worn my 'stitch rain or shine for over a year and a JR Ballistic set up prior to that. For me it's just easier to wear one suit rain or shine than wonder whether I need to pack my rain gear 9 months out of the year, it's a personal choice.

I agree jeans don't offer much protection, most of the time I'm ATGATT but there's also times I just don't worry about it, jump on the bike and go. Again a personal choice, I'm well aware of the consequences of going down wearing jeans and a sweatshirt but sweating my butt off in the upper 90's in a suit is just miserable and takes the fun out of a nice spin around the backroads. I do however always wear boots gloves and my full face lid, those are compremises I'm not willing to make. Again a personal choice that as an adult I'm prepared to deal with.

sachiwilson 02-22-2008 08:16 AM

Yep, it's personal choice. But with a new rider here I wanted to make sure he knows the tradeoffs.

bbtowns 02-22-2008 08:22 AM

I live in Portland, and similar to Sachi I ride daily unless there something frozen on the ground. I typically wear a Stich one piece suit with an electric vest in the winter and shoulder seasons. In the Summer and it's shoulder seasons I wear a Tecnic Sprint/Spider jacket and convertible pants (can't remember who makes 'em). The nice thing about the Teknic jacket is it's incredibly waterproof, and has an outer layer that zips off to make it a perforated jacket for those 90-100 degree days. It could easily be your year round jacket. The pants do the same thing, but are a bit less waterproof.

skrupka 02-22-2008 09:29 AM

I'll probably go for the two-piece suit - that seems to make the most sense. Chaps look great, but they seem more like bar wear than motorcycle wear.

The_AirHawk 02-22-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vermicious (Post 179268)
Well you can just rock me to sleep tonight. :P

I'll even let him use MY Rock!

ejis 02-22-2008 11:48 AM

The 'stich (Roadcrafter, at least) is great - but a rain suit it isn't. It's got lots of unprotected zippers that are a sieve when it's more than drizzling. Also, it's not insulated so you need to layer for any real warmth. That said, I've ridden with mine in the 20's and was toasty warm (ok, not exactly...but it was bearable for the commute). The Darien model that they make is better geared for all-weather without additional layers, according to the company at least...

sarnali2 02-22-2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejis (Post 179303)
The 'stich (Roadcrafter, at least) is great - but a rain suit it isn't. It's got lots of unprotected zippers that are a sieve when it's more than drizzling. Also, it's not insulated so you need to layer for any real warmth. That said, I've ridden with mine in the 20's and was toasty warm (ok, not exactly...but it was bearable for the commute). The Darien model that they make is better geared for all-weather without additional layers, according to the company at least...

The Darien is the one I have and it is excellent for this climate, no leaks and with the fleece liner and Aerostitch fleece pants it's warm down to freezing on an unfaired bike, rain or shine. Below freezing it's not worth the risk of ice to me so I drive but for everything else the Darien comes through

Kreb_Cycle 02-23-2008 11:20 AM

I ride year round in Seattle as well. Now I'm commuting from Mountlake Terrace to Factoria, the only days I won't ride is when there is ice on the ground.

Sachi and Sarnali both had great advice. I personally use a two-piece that zips together at the waist. I do wear leather even when it's raining but I always have multiple layers on underneath, the rain doesn't get to my skin. I'm about to go buy an aerostitch suit however, just for the days when it's really horrible.

I wear fully armoured gloves, cortech racing gloves with titanium plating in them. They are fantastic gloves. They are also vented, and that sucks big time in cold rain. Heated grips solves this problem completely.

Buy heated grips! They are absolutely worthwhile in our climate; our climate is what they're built for. Much colder than our climate and you can't ride at all, unless you're crazy and don't mind riding when there is a potential for black ice.

The_AirHawk 02-23-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrupka (Post 179264)
Something tells me that a banana sack is a wee bit abrasive and maybe not so warm. I think I'll go with Sarnali2's suggestions.

Thanks y'all.

Well, the 'nana sack is more like a "plantain sack" - as I'm not that well-endowed.

sachiwilson 02-23-2008 02:01 PM

Huh? Plantains are generally bigger (and harder!) than bananas.

;)