Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   dropping your bike (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/7217-dropping-your-bike.html)

aja152 02-03-2008 04:59 AM

dropping your bike

hi.

im a real newbie with motorcycles.... so please excuse my ignorance.

i was just wondering about the problems of dropping your motorcycle. Well, obviously physical problems... but does it also include possible internal problems or something??
:(

sfcdjevans 02-03-2008 05:06 AM

I've only had internal problems when dropping a bike, ie: wtf you FORGOT to put down the kick stand? I had an artificial stimulus problem in the 70's and 80's.

aja152 02-03-2008 06:41 PM

oh~ i see i see.
thanks for clearing that up... because i didnt really think it was a big deal when accidently dropping a bike if it resulted in physical damage, maybe a scratch here or there... but since it can cause internal problems...i guess then it is a big deal.

sachiwilson 02-03-2008 08:13 PM

Oh, that's what you mean.

You are not likely to damage the interior of your bike by dropping it, but it does depend on what you hit.

Kenneth_Moore 02-04-2008 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja152 (Post 178307)
hi.

im a real newbie with motorcycles.... so please excuse my ignorance.

i was just wondering about the problems of dropping your motorcycle. Well, obviously physical problems... but does it also include possible internal problems or something??
:(

Do you mean internal physical problems with the bike or with the rider?

The innards of bikes are very tough; I\'ve seen and participated in some bike wrecks that virtually destroyed the metalwork, suspension, and frames of bikes, but left the engine and drivetrain unharmed. Shifter shafts tend to get bent up in wrecks; resulting in a need to disassemble. Most everything else is encased.

As for the rider, your self-diagnostics will take care of that question.

pushrod 02-04-2008 08:40 AM

Apparently some bikes do not like to lay on one side or the other.

Fer instance - Triumph triples supposedly dislike laying on their left side; something about oil getting where it isn\'t supposed to, and causing a hydraulic lock when the engine is restarted.

sarnali2 02-04-2008 09:08 AM

Unless you\'re unlucky enough to crack a crankcase end cover or bend the shift lever you should be OK, of course there\'s always that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach when you see your baby laying there...

acecycleins 02-04-2008 12:03 PM

The best way to insure not dropping your bike- don\'t ride it. Don\'t even polish it. Just park it and smile while you walk by.

Outside of the "forget to put the kickstand down" thing you should only have to worry about dents. The real trick is getting it off the tarmac. If you don\'t know how just YouTube "picking up a motorcycle" and you find helpful and funny ways of getting the bike off the ground.

longride 02-04-2008 01:08 PM

I\'ve had that sick feeling with every bike I have owned. They all went down at some time. I don\'t even consider it mine until I dropped it at least once.

seruzawa 02-04-2008 01:16 PM

You are going to drop your bike.

So the question is how much pain will you experience.

Naked standard bike = minimum pain.

Half-faired bike = medium pain.

Fully faired bike = maximum pain.

Dropping a Bandit over might cost you a mirror and a lever. Dropping a CBR might cost you thousands.

Choose wisely.