Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #11
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I've had that sick feeling with every bike I have owned. They all went down at some time. I don't even consider it mine until I dropped it at least once.
I always offer to key my buddies new vehicles, as you can relax once the first scratch is on it. My wife was kind enough to back into someone the first week we had our new Car, no key required. Thanx Honey...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
I always offer to key my buddies new vehicles, as you can relax once the first scratch is on it. My wife was kind enough to back into someone the first week we had our new Car, no key required. Thanx Honey...

I had some Russian as*hole take care of that for me by slamming his door open into the side of my Explorer a few days after I got it....

"Sorry..was ax-ci-dent"...he say's

...commie bastard...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 02-04-2008 at 01:19 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

He wasn't a Commie. He was a Union guy!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #14
maladg
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Longride is rite - it ain't yers till yer dropped it. Hopefully whilst standing still.

I have a gimp (non PC) knee- sports injury from the Pre-Cambrian Era ie before the arthoscope....anyhoo, I was trying to park my lightish R1200 (light is a relative term, mind you) up at the mountain based Fortress of Solitude. And a scratch free 07 got its first scratches...

To which I say, So what?

Listen up, noob. Check out a cc of current Rider Wearhouse catalog. See a gal named Colleen standing triumphantly upon her fallen steed. THAT is the attitude to which you must aspire.

Now drop quickly, grasshopper and be free.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #15
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:

Probably LOL.......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default I must be the weirdo

Honestly, I have never dropped a bike ever. I've come close a few times but saved them with my superhuman strength.

I've tossed a few dirtbikes into the weeds but that's different.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #17
bbtowns
Founding Member

Bike's are tough. There is a local twisty road near Portland, OR that cuts to the coast from the valley. It's narrow, unstriped, and has about 3 miles of gravel on it. But since the road is more than 60 miles of twists and elevation changes people ride it on sportbikes despite the gravel. The sign warning of impending gravel is always in shade in the summer, and it's hard to see. Came down the road one day and see a few bikes stopped looking over the guardrail right after the gravel started. A fellow had put him and his 600cc sportbike over the guardrail and down a steep rocky slope toward a river.
After a couple of hours we got the bike back over, and despite an entirely trashed fairing, broken mirrors and windscreen, broken rear brake and shift lever, the thing started right up after a bit of cranking. You aren't likely to do much engine damage dropping your bike at low or no speed other than break some plastic and maybe bend a shift, brake or clutch lever.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:36 PM   #18
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I had some Russian as*hole take care of that for me by slamming his door open into the side of my Explorer a few days after I got it....

"Sorry..was ax-ci-dent"...he say's

...commie bastard...
... and so was my busting off his mirror.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
There's a difference?
Old 02-09-2008, 07:10 AM   #20
Poolboy
Registered Member

Should bike riders be required to carry side arms? If you are riding a hog and drop it hard on the tarmac you may need to do the human thing and shoot it to put it out of its misery.

If you are riding something else, especially a bike with fully decked out you may want to shoot yourself when you assess the damage you did.

Certainly with major damage if you talk to your insurance company you will certainly want to shoot some thing or someone.

As a newbie I have read and listened to my instructors and they all have said that I will drop my first bike several times. When I first get it and before I drive it drop it several times on the grass in front of my house will that count or will I still need to drop it out on the hard surfaces where it will sustain some damage?

Seriously at what point does one decide it better to leave the bike and not go down with it? I know you want to avoid a high side fall but low side ones do not look too fun either.

Since I am 61 (yes LXI) and am starting my riding career I do not have time for too much of this falling down stuff and need to go quickly as possible to where I have a good looking biker chick hanging onto to me. I also wonder how to convince my wife that a cute, young biker chick hanging onto me is part of the necessary training to become a better rider.
Poolboy is offline   Reply With Quote