Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 01-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #11
ejis
Founding Member

Why not one of the 800cc and below sized Japanese cruisers from a few years ago? A quick perusal of Craigslist in my area shows a bunch of pretty late model examples for sale at well under $4k.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #12
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

"... lost your shins during WWII (gold star for anyone getting that reference)."

Cotton Lyndal Hill.
Please send gold star via first class or priority mail.

Last edited by tripleripple : 01-18-2008 at 10:59 AM.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

I second the Bonneville Speedmaster/America idea. Cruisers with low weight and better power/weight than any of the middleweight cruisers and most of the big ones. They even handle like standards. Also not as common as fruit flies. And performance upgrades that actually work. What's not to like?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #14
Greg Hutchinson
Registered Member

I looked on the web at the Triumph models...I am (sadly) unable to tell the difference between the speedmaster and america models. I also looked online at bikes around that size, and feel that the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 custom looks good - and got what seems to be a decent review on this website. Any thoughts?
Greg Hutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:02 PM   #15
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

..Don't need no short people 'round heah...
Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm not much of a cruiser person, though I do own one - an old Honda 700 Magna. But I own 5 bikes right now and the cruiser doesn't get much use. If I were looking for a middleweight cruiser I'd get the Triumph for the reasons I've stated. There are a millions of V-twins around and they all look the same. At least the Trumpet is a bit different.

But you should get the one that YOU like. Some Triumph dealers give test rides. If you buy used you automatically get a test ride from the seller. Buying used is the best way to go 'cause you might decide you don't like a particular bike. You can resell a used bike without losing much, or any, money. I'd only buy new if I were certain about what I wanted.

What am I saying? I never buy new. Only bought 3 new bikes out of about 3 dozen over the last 40 years.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #17
Greg Hutchinson
Registered Member

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. You got that, ladies? " And what's been in the news lately...but a 'bribe' they call a tax rebate? I was actually considering touring bikes until I sat on a Goldwing and found my feet tippy-toe, just keeping it upright. I tried a used Kawasaki Voyager and that seemed to fit - feet flat on the floor, etc. - but I had not taken the saftey course at that time and would not take it for a test drive. The Voyager seemed comfortable, but I've read nothing about it - of course, it's discontinued, but does meet the used bike qualification. Anyone out there heard anything about the bike?
Greg Hutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #18
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Default Touring bikes...

I've been on my Fiances stepdads gold wing, its enormous and its like wrestling an 800 lbs bear at slow speeds (this is my personal feeling) if you want a touring bike how about something smaller like a Triumph Speedmaster/american with some bags or a BMW F800ST. The Voyager is a big bike too. If you like the voyager then a mid cruiser with a couple bags and a backrest should do you well.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:56 AM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Forget the GoldWing. You aren't ready for that one yet. Start small and work your way up. Guys have given plenty of good suggestions here. Touring bikes are usually very heavy and take a bit of experience to handle without dumping it.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #20
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Cotton Hill, age unknown, World War II veteran, died Sunday in a Texas VA hospital. Hill suffered from several injuries ranging from four rusty bullets lodged in his heart from his military service, a broken hip and torn ligaments in his ankle-knees, to an infection in his esophagus and severe burns caused by a freak shrimp accident that occurred earlier this week at Tokyaki's Japanese restaurant. Hill leaves behind sons Hank Hill and G.H. (short for "Good Hank"); daughter-in-law Peggy Hill; grandson Bobby Hill; ex-wife Tilly; second wife Didi; first love and former Japanese lover Michiko; an illegitimate Japanese son, Junichiro; and nephew Dusty Hill (of band ZZ Top).
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote