Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
Poolboy
Registered Member
 
Poolboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
KLR 650 is a great learning tool that you may have to buy a new friend for instead of letting it go for the new friend. I sold mine when I upgraded and still wish I hadnt. Whats better than one bike? More bikes! If your tall enough, pick up a dual sport then decide if you want to sell it when its upgrade time. Most Dual sports survive being dropped with little to no damage (thats dropped, not crashed) and you can go almost anywhere, learning in less dangerous surroundings. They are great for the quick fishing / camping trip or just farting around town. The added height comes in handy in traffic and the wide bars and light front end make handling almost telepathic.

For gear start out with the Joe rocket stuff as its cheap and works quite well. If riding is definitely for you, buy a two piece Aerostich Roadcrafter and never look back.

When people complain about the price of good gear, I always tell them to price a skin graft. Puts things in perspective right there.

Riding gear can be very hot on hot days, but I would think not as "hot" as road rash can be.
Poolboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #12
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolboy View Post
Riding gear can be very hot on hot days, but I would think not as "hot" as road rash can be.
For the summer months invest in Textile or Mesh gear. They have great air-flow and unless you're sitting still for hours baking in the sun you'll be fine.

My Joe Rocket Jacket and Pants work fine for this. In the fall or spring a good Textile jacket and armoured jeans (Icon, Draggin Jean, Tour Master and a few others) sell quality denim for just @ $100.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #13
sfcdjevans
Registered Member
 
sfcdjevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 43.47N-76.48W
Posts: 956
Default

Check newenough.com real quick, I think they were giving away mesh jacket a couple of days ago.
__________________
3425 miles from Reading, UK
Why their heads on a pike of course. If I thought it would do any good.
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #14
Gluge
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 352
Default

One thing to note while being able to ride off road a bit is nice DP's don't usually have any wind protection (fairing) Which if your going over 55 for very long can be very annoying.

The main thing you get with a DP bike you don't get with a bike like the EX500 is much more suspension travel for rougher roads. If it's a smooth dirt road (like a well maintained fire road) just about any bike can off road on it fine knobby tires can help but actualy slicks aren't as bad as you'd think.

I'd recommend the EX500.
__________________
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluge View Post
One thing to note while being able to ride off road a bit is nice DP's don't usually have any wind protection (fairing) Which if your going over 55 for very long can be very annoying.

The main thing you get with a DP bike you don't get with a bike like the EX500 is much more suspension travel for rougher roads. If it's a smooth dirt road (like a well maintained fire road) just about any bike can off road on it fine knobby tires can help but actualy slicks aren't as bad as you'd think.

I'd recommend the EX500.
Just a little interjection here, The small windscreen on the KLR 650 is very impressive for its size. I'm 6'6" and going back and forth between my BMW K12RS and the old KLR wasnt much different on the freeway. Granted the loud handle was VERY different between the two... Though if your going street only the EX500 is a very very good first choice. Either one can be had used very reasonable. And you can buy aftermarket windshields for either. Though the touring shields Ive seen on a KLR looks rediculous.

Ah another negative about Dual sports on the freeway is with the wide bars you may shimmy down the freeway. Having your arms out wide tends to catch a little wind and with the leverage of the wide bars causes a little unwanted input. Didnt bother me but my riding buddies found it funny to watch my tires squirm side to side an inch or so as we were rolling down the slab. That and passing grunt is limited on a thumper. Lastly strong crosswinds will get your attention on any bike, but a Dual sport you will notice twice as bad. Big front hoop and high center of gravity makes cross winds interesting at freeway speeds.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #16
Poolboy
Registered Member
 
Poolboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 11
Thumbs down riding before you buy

I can understand why they do not want to. But it is too bad that you can not get a chance, at least I do not think you can, but then again I am very new and have certainly not checked all the shops around me, to try different bikes and bike styles before you settle on buy one.

Like you can do with cars. Now I know the chances of dumping a car is (hopefully) not as big of a chance as with a bike but how are you to know how a style of bike rides and then how a particular bike rides.

I have only ridden the Honda 250 nighthawk and Honda 250 Rebel. So I can figure out how a bigger engine Honda might feel, but how am I know how a dirty bike for example or any of the other bikes mentioned in here feels and rides.

Even 3K is a lot for me to spend and then find out that I do not like or can not ride the bike.

Makes it difficult to get into the sport.

But then a few months ago I had no experiences at all so I am farther ahead than I was then.
Poolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #17
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member
 
trenttheuncatchable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 901
Default

The used Ninja 500 is the way to go. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket and can keep your wrist from twisting the throttle all the way back, then look for a used (2005 or 2006 model) Kawasaki Z750S. You can even buy one of these bikes and not have to move up to a second bike. Of course, if you're a cruiser kind of guy then that last sentence wouldn't apply to you.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #18
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolboy View Post
I can understand why they do not want to. But it is too bad that you can not get a chance, at least I do not think you can, but then again I am very new and have certainly not checked all the shops around me, to try different bikes and bike styles before you settle on buy one.

Like you can do with cars. Now I know the chances of dumping a car is (hopefully) not as big of a chance as with a bike but how are you to know how a style of bike rides and then how a particular bike rides.

I have only ridden the Honda 250 nighthawk and Honda 250 Rebel. So I can figure out how a bigger engine Honda might feel, but how am I know how a dirty bike for example or any of the other bikes mentioned in here feels and rides.

Even 3K is a lot for me to spend and then find out that I do not like or can not ride the bike.

Makes it difficult to get into the sport.

But then a few months ago I had no experiences at all so I am farther ahead than I was then.
I know it makes since as a consumer to want to ride before you buy. And I know, as a former F&I mgr, that getting a person to ride before the buy helps the sale. The problem is motorcycle dealers don't have an outlet for insuring consumers while test riding. So, outside of your Euro import dealers- which by the way break those rules all the time for the sale- high volume multi-line dealers tend to not offer the ride because they are simply too scared to let the average joe take their bikes out. Law suits kill it for all of us. Some squid somewhere wads up a bike on a test ride and the next thing you know the shop is closing its doors because of the suit. There you have it. I suggest you buy your first bike as cheap as possible. Try to stick to the DP bikes because they are so versatile for your first ride. The Honda and Suzuki are much more off-road oriented than the KLR is, but the KLR has a parts supply that is second to none. They also resale better and have good on road manners. If you can find an early 90's BMWr100gs you will be very happy with the price, road manners, parts availability and reliability in general. Kind of like cheating the fine line of a road bike but having the ability to run fire roads without hesitation. Good luck.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #19
pplassm
Founding Member
 
pplassm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
If you can find an early 90's BMWr100gs you will be very happy with the price,
Haven't looked for one lately, have you? LOL.
__________________
Mongo just pawn in game of life.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #20
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Haven't looked for one lately, have you? LOL.
Love the White Jesus- everyone should get one.
I found a 89 GS on craigslist the other day for $2100. Looked good from the pics- so you never know.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off