Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   "How To" Crank a Dirt Bike" for dummy! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/6839-how-crank-dirt-bike-for-dummy.html)

shakenbake 12-04-2007 10:22 AM

"How To" Crank a Dirt Bike" for dummy!

I am selling a dirt bike for someone and the owner is not here to show it. The bike is in excellent condition (like new) but hasn't been run in a few months. I need to know how to crank it up.

seruzawa 12-04-2007 10:31 AM

You might want to provide some more information.

Kenneth_Moore 12-04-2007 10:31 AM

Pre-Start:
Check for gas. It may be stale, you might want to replace it with fresh.

Check the oil level. It's probably ok.

Check the battery. If it's dead, charge it overnight at 2 amps.

Start:
Check for engine kill switch on right handlebar. Turn it to on position. Usually that's upwards.

It probably has a choke or enricher lever. Open it.

Rotate the ignition switch to ON. Check for neutral. It's usuall a small green light. Fiddle with the shift lever if it's not on until it is.

Twist the throttle a couple of times.

If it has an electric starter, hit the button. Some more throttle twisting, or 1/3 open may help.

If it has a kick start, straddle the bike and kick downward in a brisk fashion.

Post Start:
When the bike starts, close the choke/enricher lever.

Hold at fast idle till the bike warms up.

Shut off bike with key or engine kill switch.

Send me a PM for an adress to mail my 20% sales comission to.

pplassm 12-05-2007 06:17 AM

Step #1. Turn gas petv**** to "on".

pplassm 12-05-2007 06:18 AM

Oh, jeezus krist.

mscuddy 12-05-2007 08:47 AM

Jeeheezus kreeist is right...when I sold my CL350, the battery was low, so I told the prospective buyer to kickstart it. The guy looked puzzled, and asked what I meant...he never saw a kickstarter before...sheesh.

Kenneth_Moore 12-05-2007 09:47 AM

"Hello, thank you for calling OnStar!"

"My baby is trapped in the car and my door won't unlock! My keys fell in a puddle and I think the control doohickey shorted out!"

"All right Ma'am, I'm going to help you with this. Your baby is going to be ok."

"Oh, THANK YOU!"

"Ok Ma'am, I want you to approach the car from the Driver's side. Do you see that round hole under the door handle?"

"Yes, I see it."

"Ok, there is a key on your ring that will fit in that hole. It's the one you use to start the car."

"Yes, I see it."

"Put the key in the hole and rotate it to the left."

"OH THANK GOD! THE DOOR OPENED! ONSTAR IS SO GREAT!"

(laughter, tears of joy, baby crying in background)

"Thank you for calling OnStar Ma'am. Please see your authorized GM dealer to have the key fob battery changed."

sarnali2 12-05-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 174518)
"Hello, thank you for calling OnStar!"

"My baby is trapped in the car and my door won't unlock! My keys fell in a puddle and I think the control doohickey shorted out!"

"All right Ma'am, I'm going to help you with this. Your baby is going to be ok."

"Oh, THANK YOU!"

"Ok Ma'am, I want you to approach the car from the Driver's side. Do you see that round hole under the door handle?"

"Yes, I see it."

"Ok, there is a key on your ring that will fit in that hole. It's the one you use to start the car."

"Yes, I see it."

"Put the key in the hole and rotate it to the left."

"OH THANK GOD! THE DOOR OPENED! ONSTAR IS SO GREAT!"

(laughter, tears of joy, baby crying in background)

"Thank you for calling OnStar Ma'am. Please see your authorized GM dealer to have the key fob battery changed."

Boy I love a happy ending..(sniff)...I'm going to get one of them for MY car...!