Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 12-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
navigator911
Registered Member

Default another newbie

i just typed up a 4 paragraph thread and it got f'ed up somehow so let me sum everything up

i just tured 21, i have a good paying job, i drive a 2006 gto that I pay for but im getting tired of paying WAY more than a college student should be paying. with that in mind im selling my car and going to buy a less expensive car and would like to buy a bike

now for the record i am a rather good driver i would say, no accidents at all, no speeding tickets (i drive pretty slow to be honest), only 1 careless driving ticket (i pelled out in my mazdaspeed protege) and a wreckless driving ticket (suposedly racing a civic in my gto, yeah right) that a nice lawyer of mine took care of.

now im not trying to start big i would just like something that can go alil faster than my gto im guessing a 600? to be honest i have no idea if they are comapirable speed wise im just tossing something out there. buying used is fine, i just dont want someone elses ragged on POS. and it has to be a sports bike, other bikes just dont do anything for me.

so can anyone match me up with a bike? and yes i know that there are going to be some post nazis coming in but i would just like some advice
navigator911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2007, 05:18 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

I always suggest a smaller bike for any new rider, preferably used. Something like a 250 dual purpose bike like the Kawasaki. You need a bike that easy to ride and has good visibility while learning. If there are places nearby where you can practice off road more the better. Do the MSF safety course and spend some money on good riding gear.

A modern 600 is waaay faster than any car you can buy. Any new rider is going to fall at least once. It happens to every one. If you're dumb enough to buy a sportbike then you get to deal with the cost of replacing the plastic fairing.

Motorcycle riding is serious business. Approach it like you would learning to fly an airplane. Treat it as a casual diversion and you will suffer the consequences.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:17 AM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

+1 on getting a dual sport. They are great for riders just starting out. There's lots that you don't know about, you just don't know yet.

If a 250 won't cut it, (lots of freeway?), get a 350/400 dual sport.

While you're at it, ride a little in the dirt with it. It's a complete blast, and there aren't too many cops that can chase you down out there (yet).

If you must get a sportbike, get a USED older bike, like, say, an older Yamaha FZR600. Better yet, get a Kawasaki EX500. These are plentiful, cheap, and will still outrun any car. A well-ridden one will still keep up with newer bikes.

You are going to crash it. No sense in pounding a new bike into the ground.

Once you have ridden for a year or two, then look for something new. The first years are the hardest years.

And, really, if you're 21 and you have a careless and a reckless citation, you are not proving yourself to be a "good driver". Tsk, tsk.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Suggestion

Dear Newbie,

Today's modern 600 supersport machine WILL KILL YOU faster that you imagine. Let me tell you my latest tragedy from your friendly neighborhood motorcycle insurance agent; On Tuesday of last week I got a call from Micheal- Micheal is Andrew's big brother. Micheal told me that Andrew had died because he lost control of his bike while "playing" in the back parking lot of a Publix Supermarket. Seems Andrew was traveling at high speed and had a wobble that cause him and his bike to FLY over the edge of a 110ft verticle drop off the Publix property. Sad- but true.
I put insurance on that bike on 10-13-07. YES, he was a novice rider and I suspect that it was a result of "trying" to learn wheelies that lead to the tank slapper.
SO- suggestions:
Buy Used- keep it under $3000 and stay away from anything that's made within the last 5 yrs.
Get Training- MSF or private- get it or you're just another dumb a$$ squid.
DON'T listen to your buddies for riding tips if they have less than 10yrs street riding- 'cause they're making mistakes by the hour- guaranteed.
What to buy- 1999-2002 Suzuki sv650, 1996-2004 Suzuki Katana or Bandit, Kawasaki EX250 or EX500 Ninja, Honda 599, all are sporty fun without sportbike pricing
What I would get: Suzuki DRZ400sm, DRZ400s, DR650, Kawasaki KLR 250 or 650, Yamaha XT model.

Don't try to go for "looks" for the first bike- you WILL drop it. Get something you can log miles on and get some seat time. Want to go fast- Spend $3000 on a track day bike and a trailer.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

A Honda 599 WILL ALSO KILL YOU unless you are smart enough to ride it sanely. Heck, ANY of the bikes Ace mentioned will. Don't assume that just because we don't recommend a 600 sport bike for a novice that other bikes are "safer." NO bike is "safe." There is a huge level of risk in riding any motorcycle, and a smart rider will do what she or he can to minimize that risk. Training, gear, and riding with your brain rather than your balls is the way to go.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
navigator911
Registered Member

just for the record my name is Nick. the newbie thing is old already

seruzawa-i understand what your saying about seriousness and thanks for the refrence of how fast a 600 is. now this may be a dumb question but visibility? uhh anything im going to say here will be misconstrued as me being an ass sooo elaborate please. and what is a plastic fairing? im guessing the outer shell of the bike?

pplassm- i say im a good driver beacause the careless was in a parking lot when i was 16, it was empty other than my car and my bosses f150 that was on the other side of the lot. oh and it was 3:30am (nice luck huh) and the reckless was bs thats why i got it taken care of. that all on top of the fact that i use my personal (GTO) everyday and put about 70-150 miles on it per day for the last year and a half sooo

acecycleins- thanks for the input. ya im going to get training before i even look at buying one, they have classes at a local highschool where im at. the only trick i would want to learn would be a wheeie but i would not try it for a while, like i said i dont want to die just yet. i dont have any friends that ride,i only have an uncle who just passed away that had a custom chopper and a zx-10r. sadly i never talked to him much about bikes.

sachiwilson- i dont assume that they are i understand you can die on any type of bike easily. like i keep saying i keep a level head 99.9% of the time because i have stuff to do before i die

and to all 4 of you what is good riding gear? brand? i mean im cool with going all out price doesnt matter just what is going to keep me safe?
navigator911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #7
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

2005-2006 Pontiac GTO review, stats and pictures. ... 0-60 mph : 4.6 sec.(manual est.) 1/4 mile: 13.5 sec @ 106.0 mph(manual est.)

The Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Pre-2008 model EX250 in the U.S., and GPX250 elsewhere)
0-60 mph (0-100 km/h), 5.75 s. 1/4 mile, 14.6 s @ 88 mph

...and that is a "little" 250cc bike. Also, I believe the 2008 250r has a little more oomph to it.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Nick, we have a lot of clueless n00bs here who want to start out on a ZX10 or Y1 or the like. In short, we tend to assume that any new rider who wants a bike that "can go faster than my gto" is unaware of the power and danger of modern motorcycles.

Once you prove to us that you are smart enough to start with an appropriate bike, and that you want to get the right riding education and gear, we'll act less concerned. And your question about gear is going in the right direction!

As for gear, the most protective is leather. THICK leather, which is at least 1.4 mm thick. If you are in a very humid climate, mesh textiles can work. I personally do not trust textiles and wear a perforated leather suit year-round. It's made by Frank Thomas, which is a middle-line seller that has very thick and protective gear for a reasonable price.

You will want armored boots that cover your ankles. They MUST cover your ankles, which are exposed and easy to grind down if you slide.

Helmet - get one that FITS and that you want to wear. If it has a DOT sticker you will be fine. Snell is not necessary IMHO. Full Face is the most protective, and again I would never ride without one.

You'll also want good leather gloves, armored if possible although there are good non-armored gloves out there (such as those made by Lee Parks.) I have a pair of Spidi Carbo Six gloves - they are designed for racing and are astonishingly nice, but expensive.

You can easily spend $2000 for your gear, but you can also get a superb and very protective outfit for about $1200.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

As important as LEATHER is the new textiles are great. It really depends on location and type of weather you encounter on a daily basis. I prefer Alpinestars equipment because I find the quality vs price to my liking. Joe Rocket and Shift equipment don't seem to have the same level of craftsmanship. Fieldsheer and Cortech make great gear in textiles and fine leathers, too. Like I said, it depends on conditions. Right now, in ATL its a chilly 50 degrees outside and the morning drive was on the low 30s. I would have ridden in textiles if the low was in the 40s but leathers are cozy warm below that and warm is good.
BTW- the advise you seek and receive from this site is sometimes slighly tongue and cheek but very valid. ANY bike can be your downfall. Area, traffic conditions and topography should be considerations in your bike choice. Just because a sportbike looks cool doesn't mean you should consider it if you live in heavily wood, animal dense, remote areas. Same thing holds for a dual purpose bike in say southern Arizona or metro Miami-Dade area. Riding in a National Forest is only so much fun on a sportbike when you have thousands of fire roads to explore. Or dodging semi-trucks on the interstate in southern FL is a crap shoot on a DRZ in the acceleration vs overall tonnage contest.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator911 View Post
just for the record my name is Nick. the newbie thing is old already

seruzawa-i understand what your saying about seriousness and thanks for the refrence of how fast a 600 is. now this may be a dumb question but visibility? uhh anything im going to say here will be misconstrued as me being an ass sooo elaborate please. and what is a plastic fairing? im guessing the outer shell of the bike?
Oops. By visibility I mean your ability to sit upright and see all around you easily. The sport bikes with the very low handlebarsd severely restrict your ability to swivel your head to see easily to the sides and rear.

The plastic fairing is the extensive bodywork on the sportbikes that breaks when you fall and costs loads of $ to repair/replace.