Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Help to pick my second bike (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/6653-help-pick-my-second-bike.html)

The_AirHawk 10-28-2007 06:24 PM

Don't Make me........
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 172138)
I have to chuckle at today's bike buyers. Somehow people think that if they want to go sport touring they have to buy a proprietary design. Bandits, ZReX's, SV's, T100s... any can be a sport tourer with a set of bags.

.......whip out the pics of my everythingbutthekitchensink-loaded FZ6, or Chris Karst's everythingINCLUDINGthekitchensink-loaded NT650 HawkGT.......

Kenneth_Moore 10-29-2007 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 172138)
any can be a sport tourer with a set of bags.

You keep this up and I'm posting the photo of the red and gray "Sport Tourer" with the set of bags from Daytona again. I mean it!

vermicious 10-29-2007 07:12 AM

The reason I mentioned the interceptor is because he's still a fairly new rider, the bike is medium-sized, and comes with pretty much the whole ball of wax without having to third-party shop his way to what he wants. It was more about where he was coming from than what I would consider an "ideal" candidate under all circumstances. Hell, I do my sport touring on a naked with a bikini fairing and a tail bag :)

Kenneth_Moore 10-29-2007 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 172138)
I have to chuckle at today's bike buyers. Somehow people think that if they want to go sport touring they have to buy a proprietary design. Bandits, ZReX's, SV's, T100s... any can be a sport tourer with a set of bags.

And another thing Mr. Zawa: IMHO, a proper sport tourer is going to have:

- A full or nearly full fairing and widnshield to keep you dry in the rain and warm in the cold. Or drier and warmer.

- Quick detach luggage that doesn't take tools or 1/2 an hour to remove and take into the hotel.

- Includes or has accomodations for a top bag, OEM or aftermarket.

- A resonably comfy seat for the 'geena.

Sure, I used to hang throw-over bags and a windshield on the Low Rider, and put the Mustang touring seat on it, but still...it's doesn't make it an ST. With the Concours my boots don't even get wet in the rain!

seruzawa 10-29-2007 08:24 AM

Oh lordy, Ken....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 172167)
And another thing Mr. Zawa: IMHO, a proper sport tourer is going to have:

- A full or nearly full fairing and widnshield to keep you dry in the rain and warm in the cold. Or drier and warmer.

- Quick detach luggage that doesn't take tools or 1/2 an hour to remove and take into the hotel.

- Includes or has accomodations for a top bag, OEM or aftermarket.

- A resonably comfy seat for the 'geena.

Sure, I used to hang throw-over bags and a windshield on the Low Rider, and put the Mustang touring seat on it, but still...it's doesn't make it an ST. With the Concours my boots don't even get wet in the rain!

... are we starting that "proper" nonsense again? Who defines proper?

Oh boohoo. I got my tootsies wet. Boohoo. Sorry but I'll keep My Zrex for my sport tourer and continue to show my taillight to all of the "proper" sport tourers as I ride through the mountains like I do now. Concours.. oink oink. Nyah nyah. If you tell mom you're a chicken.

trenttheuncatchable 10-29-2007 08:36 AM

It looks a bit funny, but a Suzuki V-Strom would probably work. And you can get it with ABS if you want. If you want real sport to go with your touring, you can get a Honda Blackbird and add some helibars and bags to it. They stopped selling them in the States in '03, but that just means you can get them for a good price. And if you have the clams and want to stick with the Kawasaki brand, you can shell out some for the new Kawi Concours. It's a sportbike "converted" for touring by the manufacturer.

Kenneth_Moore 10-29-2007 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 172176)
... are we starting that "proper" nonsense again? Who defines proper?

Oh boohoo. I got my tootsies wet. Boohoo. Sorry but I'll keep My Zrex for my sport tourer and continue to show my taillight to all of the "proper" sport tourers as I ride through the mountains like I do now. Concours.. oink oink. Nyah nyah. If you tell mom you're a chicken.

You're right; trying to define motorcycle catagories to minute detail is pointless. Put your Memphis Flabs windshield and throwover bags on your UJM or whatever and call it a Sport Tourer. And I'll call my Concours a chopper, cause all the guys think choppers are the coolest.

My Concours may be ugly, but it loves me. And I love it back. And my kid likes it too. I'm telling Mom! NYAH NYAH NYAH!

12er 10-29-2007 09:53 AM

Wee Strom around the bay area is an excellent choice. Tall and Skinny for splitting through traffic and looking over traffic. Yet you can go full givi's on it.

acecycleins 10-29-2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 172184)
Wee Strom around the bay area is an excellent choice. Tall and Skinny for splitting through traffic and looking over traffic. Yet you can go full givi's on it.

The DL is an excellent suggestion. The "new" bandito/kan-a-tuna replacement would be a decent choice, as well- gsx650f (i think). A good used katana isn't a bad choice. A Honda 599 will make a great bike. Really- it depends on factors you have not shared with us: age, experience, typical use, and so it goes..........

sarnali2 10-29-2007 01:09 PM

My "old" Bandit with a tank bag works pretty good too plus it's air cooled screw and locknut valves and carbs. If you're a total cheapskate like me I'd rather have simple-that-I-can-fix than the latest wizz bang electronica. I gave up deluding myself that I could fix anything on my Exploder except air and oil filters and plugs. Of course being a Ford it's reliable as a brick and doesn't require any repairs.....


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:06 AM.