Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-22-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
SeeJoy
Registered Member

Default My First Accident Scene

It's been 3 weeks since I rode the Ninja home. Working 6 days in a row as a regular schedule hasn't given me a lot of time to ride, so at present my little yellow pony has only come out of the garage, to explore the world, on Sundays, with one trip to work and back.
I have 450 miles of road time and yesterday, as I was coming down the long hill on Lower Saucon Road to where it intersects with Easton Avenue, to my shock, I came upon a huge bike laying on it's side, smack in the middle of the road.
There was a green mini van off to one side, behind the bike, with part of it's rear fender torn off.
A lone woman was on her cell phone calling, I imagined, the police, and the few other people on site had that confused, "what do we do now?" air about them.
The crash must have incurred mere moments before.
The rider, was up, shaken, but looked unharmed, much to my relief. He wore jeans, what looked like a leather jacket and no helmet.
I wasn't sure what to do myself coming upon an accident. The bike blocked the road and it felt horribly cold just to ride around it, yet I wasn't involved and it was obvious that my help wasn't needed.
So I sat at the stop sign and watched (there was no traffic behind me), as the owner of the bike and another man tried to right the beast of a machine and move it off to the shoulder.
Beasty didn't want to go forward once she was up and a struggle ensued between it and it's owner.
Was the clutch cable broken? Was she stuck in gear? Were the brakes locked up? I wondered all the above as he shoved against the bike whose wheels seemed to be stuck to the ground.
At last, perhaps by will power alone, he got her going, the intersection was clear and there was no reason for me not to continue on with my ride.
Sorta made the next few miles out of the 67 I put on that morning, tentative ones, but I was thankful no one was hurt, and that I hadn't chanced on a body in the road, along with a bike laid out, both broken..
It also made the reflective tape I put on my helmet (front, back and sides), and the yellow textile jacket I bought because it was more visible then my black one seem less dorky.
Accidents and incidents happen for all kinds of reasons.
I don't know how or why that bike went down, and I certainly don't know if or when I'll go down, or what the cause will be if I do, but if and when I do, I want a helmet on my head.
ATGATT took on new meaning for me yesterday.
The dude on that beasty bike yesterday, was a very lucky man..
SeeJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Joie,

Guess it was going to happen sooner or later. I know the feeling of the dude who was trying to get his bike going. Right after my big wreck, I was trying to get my HD going, in spite of the fact the front forks were wrecked, and I had multiple fractures, dislocations, etc. I think there's some sort of instinctual mindset to "get back to the cave alive" that sets in and overrides common sense in the stressful situation.

The other "funny" part about that wreck was my refusal to get in the ambulance. The mechanic who helped me rebuild the bike told me to never let it be towed without my being there. He said the impound yards around here would strip the bike and tell you "that's how it was when we got it." So the EMTs made me sign a waiver refusing service. The bike was towed home, and as soon as it came off the truck, I basically went into shock...and my girlfriend took me to the ER.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
bbtowns
Founding Member

Thank god the rider was OK. Take this as a warning to wear all the gear all the time, and ride defensively. While there will always be some risk, motorcycling can be safe if you make it that way. Ride safe!
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

It had more of an impact on you because you were on a bike and new at it. I'm sure you've seen dozens of car accidents before that didn't faze you but seeing a fellow rider down is closer to home.

Good for you on the reflective tape and yellow jacket, I also wear a HiViz lime yellow jacket with reflective stripes and I have lime yellow and reflective turn arrows on the back of my helmet.

When I pull into the parking lot at the Harley shop the newbies in their creaky new black leather moto wear don't know what to make of it... My fellow grey-beards just chuckle, a lot of them are wearing reflctive vests over their leathers these days. Seattle area drivers epitomize the asleep at the wheel cager with a cell phone in one hand and a Mocha in the other, serious riders all glow in the dark.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Wink It use to be...

It used to be dress for the slide not the ride. Now you've seen the light. Dress to avoid the slide, or whatever. I get this all the time. Why to wear all that stuff? Why do you wear the reflective strap? So I can ride tomorrow. Lifes all about choices. I support free choice. I chose AGATT.

ps I learned about debridement the hard way.
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I was riding my little Ninja 250 home from my girlfriend's last week. She'd been riding it during the summer. It's about a half hour's distance. So I'm at a stoplight, in neutral, waiting for the light to change. I shift it into first, and the clutch cable breaks. Great. So I shift back to neutral and push it to the side of the road. This is on a main roadway, with shops everywhere, and I happen to be close to a Harley dealer. So I push it a ways and park in in the lot of the burrito shop next to the Harley dealer. It's about a half hour after the Harley dealer's been closed, but I knock on the door and a guy opens the door to talk to me. But, of course, I'm not on a Harley, and even though it's just a clutch cable, they only work on Harleys, blah blah blah. So I call my girlfriend and she comes and picks me up, and drives me home. And I have a friend come by in the next few days, and we load the bike into his van. Guess I should be glad it wasn't my girlfriend riding the bike, that I was stopped when the cable broke, and that it's a 300 lb. bike.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
I have a friend come by in the next few days, and we load the bike into his van.

You left your bike in the parking lot for a few days and it was still there when you got back??? Damn, where do you live, Tahiti?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcdjevans View Post
It used to be dress for the slide not the ride. Now you've seen the light. Dress to avoid the slide, or whatever. I get this all the time. Why to wear all that stuff? Why do you wear the reflective strap? So I can ride tomorrow. Lifes all about choices. I support free choice. I chose AGATT.

ps I learned about debridement the hard way.
Today I chose a couple thousand pounds of steel, airbags, seatbelts, and four wheels. Beats the hell out of AGATT every day and twice on Sunday. If you really want to avoid the slide, debridement, and make a safe choice, I'd say take the car. Anything less than that is less safe. I guess you wouldn't want to hear about the multiple times a fire truck I was riding in was smashed into by some idiot. They never saw a 40 feet long 12 feet wide bright red vehicle with about 100 lights and a VERY loud siren. To me, it doesn't give a colored jacket and a reflective stripe much of a chance.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
You left your bike in the parking lot for a few days and it was still there when you got back??? Damn, where do you live, Tahiti?
Obviously, you haven't seen that particular Ninja 250..........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #10
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Actually, my girlfriend was surprised some Harley guy hadn't come by and kicked it over. Or that the burrito shop's owner hadn't had it "towed."

Last edited by trenttheuncatchable : 10-23-2007 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Do they have parking lots in Tahiti?
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote