Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-23-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Actually, my girlfriend was surprised some Harley guy hadn't come by and kicked it over. Or that the burrito shop's owner hadn't had it "towed."
It's sort of sad, but the condo complex I live in has a sportbike stolen about once a month. Meanwhile, a priceless, totally original 50's Panhead FLH has sat unmolested in the same spot for at least the year I've been living there. The owner Chuck didn't even lock the fork until I shamed him into buying a cable lock. Guess the theives have no taste.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

Default You know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
It's sort of sad, but the condo complex I live in has a sportbike stolen about once a month. Meanwhile, a priceless, totally original 50's Panhead FLH has sat unmolested in the same spot for at least the year I've been living there. The owner Chuck didn't even lock the fork until I shamed him into buying a cable lock. Guess the theives have no taste.
.... you are living in the Bizarro Universe when thieves want a freaking CBR600 more than a Panhead. Maybe things will get so weird that we'll see something really really strange like a woman running for President with absolutely no record of accomplishment.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #13
pplassm
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
I shift it into first, and the clutch cable breaks.
You still could have ridden it home. I've done that more than once.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #14
SeeJoy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Today I chose a couple thousand pounds of steel, airbags, seatbelts, and four wheels. Beats the hell out of AGATT every day and twice on Sunday. If you really want to avoid the slide, debridement, and make a safe choice, I'd say take the car. Anything less than that is less safe. I guess you wouldn't want to hear about the multiple times a fire truck I was riding in was smashed into by some idiot. They never saw a 40 feet long 12 feet wide bright red vehicle with about 100 lights and a VERY loud siren. To me, it doesn't give a colored jacket and a reflective stripe much of a chance.

Yeah, **** does happen.
Life isn't safe.
People drive into fire trucks, other cars, other people and even crash into houses.
Then there are the ones who choke to death eating a steak dinner, have a body organ fail ahead of time or happen to be driving across a bridge when it collapses into a river along with tons of concrete and steel.
I know I'm not getting off the planet alive.
Yet I take precautions everyday. I don't dance in a slippery bathtub, I stay away from the red light district, and I don't intentionally drink poison.
When I decided to buy the Ninja, I decided to take on a certain amount of risk.
I also decided that I'd continue to use my car for my two hour a day commute to work, wouldn't do much city riding at night, I'd avoid riding at dusk and dawn during the rut season, and I'd ride ATGATT.
I'm I guaranteed a long life and happiness because I made those choices?
No.
The reflective tape on my helmet, and the bright jacket aren't a talisman, and don't offer much in the way of crash protection, but one day they just may catch the eye of an inattentive driver, and give me a second or two more than I would have had if they were totally blind to my presence.
In that brief amount of time, I may or may not be able make a positive difference in the situation.
I don't want to taunt death, or stack the odds against me, and I'd like to be around to hold my grandchildren. So I dress for the ride along with the slide, and assume everyone else on the road is trying to run me over.

Last edited by SeeJoy : 10-23-2007 at 01:28 PM.
SeeJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeJoy View Post
. I don't dance in a slippery bathtub, I stay away from the red light district, and I don't intentionally drink poison.
So, I guess inviting you to Bike Week is out...
Old 10-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #16
SeeJoy
Registered Member

LOL!
Is that what you do out there?
SeeJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeJoy View Post
LOL!
Is that what you do out there?
Check the photos I posted from Biketoberfest...they give some sense of the event. It's a lot calmer for me these days than it was in previous years...
Old 10-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

In my view, safety isn't want you wear, it's between your ears. I figured all that out after 17 years of being a firefighter and 40 years of riding motorcycles and seeing more than a few people die up close and personal. Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. Skills will take you 95% there, but when you see a guy like Larry Grodsky die, you know trying to be safe doesn't always cut it. I doubt the tape or the gear will make much of a difference when the time comes, but people have to do what they have to do to feel they are 'safe'. I depend on my skills, experience, and sometimes dumb luck. I figure if I had to wear 40 lbs of gear and a safety vest with a flashing light on my helmet to feel 'safe', I might as well just stay in the car. Just my .02
Old 10-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #19
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
You still could have ridden it home. I've done that more than once.
I thought about it, but I didn't want to possibly ruin the transmission on top of having a broken clutch cable. There were still quite a few additional stoplights on the way home.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:31 PM   #20
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
In my view, safety isn't want you wear, it's between your ears. I figured all that out after 17 years of being a firefighter and 40 years of riding motorcycles and seeing more than a few people die up close and personal. Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. Skills will take you 95% there, but when you see a guy like Larry Grodsky die, you know trying to be safe doesn't always cut it. I doubt the tape or the gear will make much of a difference when the time comes, but people have to do what they have to do to feel they are 'safe'. I depend on my skills, experience, and sometimes dumb luck. I figure if I had to wear 40 lbs of gear and a safety vest with a flashing light on my helmet to feel 'safe', I might as well just stay in the car. Just my .02
I put reflective tape all over the back of my jacket. It was really easy, really cheap and I don't notice it at all riding. Yea it might not do much, but you never know it might help. Wasn't there something in the hurt report about a reflective vest helping a lot? A white helmet is supposed to help quite a bit as well.

I haven't been able to bring myself to put reflective tape on my new bike though... or get a white helmet, I figure plaining light silver is close enough though.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote