Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
taterdpo
Registered Member

Default new rider with broken bike

I just acquired a 1989 honda vtr 250 interceptor. Having never ridden or worked on a bike before I was looking for some advice on where to start. This bike is in rough shape and needs a lot of work. Can any recommend some resources for me to use to learn the specifics of how this bike works and how I could fix it? Thanks.
taterdpo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
findangle
Founding Member

i would suggest trying to get a shop manual for it. see if maybe there is a fan forum specific to that bike. usually get your hands on some good advice from good mechanics.
findangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:35 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Fixing it might be more time, money, and trouble than it is worth. Unless you are fixated on restoring this particular model, or want to use it as a learning experience, I'd just go find something else cheap that runs and at least you can ride it while improving it.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:23 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Fixing it might be more time, money, and trouble than it is worth. Unless you are fixated on restoring this particular model, or want to use it as a learning experience, I'd just go find something else cheap that runs and at least you can ride it while improving it.
Good tip! You may put a lot of time and money into a bike that isn't worth it, and/or find motorcycles just aren't your thing.

Or, you could do what I did, tear your bike down to the last nut and bolt and then try to figure out how to put it back together. In my case it only took two and a half years and countless thousands of dollars.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:23 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

While the bike itself has probably been a bit abused (almost ALL of them have been), the VTR mill is a Stone - it's highly unlikely it's actually "broken" unless the PO ran it out of oil or dumped it into the creek or something. Most likely it just doesn't run because it's been sitting.

Seek the opinion of someone mechanically knowledgable that you trust, if you can't diagnose the problem yourself. Buy a manual. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty.

That said, Honda only made these bikes from '88 to '90, so there's not an enormous aftermarket left laying about. Some parts on the '90 don't directly interchange with earlier parts, be certain of what bike you have when searching for parts.

Things like brakes, fairings, lights, front suspension, etc. - can all be adapted from newer, more-plentiful bikes, if you're clever.

Even at its age, the VTR 250 was a superior all-around bike than the Ninja 250, 'cept maybe for the '08 (haven't ridden that one yet too know if the changes make it surpass the VTR).

Honda SUCKS for not importing the current VTR to the 'States.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
taterdpo
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I am pretty committed to making this bike work. I'm looking forward to the project. Does anyone have any idea where one could track down an 89 honda interceptor manual?
taterdpo is offline   Reply With Quote