Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-09-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
SeeJoy
Registered Member

Default Turn Signals

When the Ninja 250 I bought was being brought in to be sold, it fell over in the truck bed. Result, broken right front turn signal, and a hole in the fairing.
The signal works, but the base is cracked in half and the lense has a piece missing.
I need to replace it so I can get the bike inspected.
My question is, I like the flush mount turn signals that you can buy through Asiancycle, but are they as visible as the stock ones that stick out?
A new stock unit through a bike shop is almost $70-.
What do you all suggest?
Thanks!

Joie
SeeJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Get the one you like the looks of. The cagers either won't see you at all, will see you and pull out anyway, will see your turn signal and ignore it...etc.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

As another option, you can find these on eBay for around $19 plus $7 for shipping.

Personally (and I'm probably in the minority), I like my turn signals to be big and orange, because I like being visible. I do like some of the new Ninjas' (like the 650's) factory flush-mounted turn signals. However, the rear-end design on the new Hayabusa seems ugly to me.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

The Safety Queen (ie, me) highly recommends getting signals that stick out a bit. Contrary to Ken's depressing advice, I do think that visible signals can help. Yes, you MUST ride as if you are totally invisible, but there's no reason to make it worse by using truly invisible lighting.

My suggestion is to find a pair of aftermarket lenses that will fit, work well, and look nice.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
The Safety Queen (ie, me) highly recommends getting signals that stick out a bit. Contrary to Ken's depressing advice, I do think that visible signals can help. Yes, you MUST ride as if you are totally invisible, but there's no reason to make it worse by using truly invisible lighting.

My suggestion is to find a pair of aftermarket lenses that will fit, work well, and look nice.
You're right, every little bit helps!

BTW, I put a flash unit on my headlight, and I swear it helps. It only flashes when the sun is bright, but I definitely have fewer cars pulling out in front of me.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
ejis
Founding Member

There are a lot of aftermarket options that will still stick out, but look a lot nicer than the stockers. You can also look at other factories - Buell makes a nice set that I think are pretty reasonable priced.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #7
SeeJoy
Registered Member

You all are great!
One of the sales persons at Martin EuroSports in Coopersburg PA, where I bought my helmet, knows someone who recently put flush front signals on his wifes 250 and he is willing to sell me the stock ones he took off.
Hopefully I'll be able to buy the pair just to have a spare on hand.
For a shop that sells high end bikes and equipment, the people at Martins have been very accommodating and didn't bat an eye at potentially ordering parts or servicing my little Ninja.
A girl friend bought her 1000cc Aprilla there and suggested them to me when I was looking for my first bike. Their bikes were out of my current price range, or too big, but they were as helpful as you could want.
Sorry..this isn't an advert for Martins..it's just so unusual to find really good service these days...
SeeJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
pplassm
Founding Member

You can get cheaper replacements from Tucker-Rocky or Parts Unlimited. Ask at a local non affiliated accessories dealer.

The stock (or replacement) signals are bright and noticeable. Not so with the flush mounts.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:43 AM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

It's interesting that two of HD's newest, and most popular models, have eliminated the tail light altogether. Bot the Nightster and the Rocker have integrated the tail light function into the turn signals.

I'm used to customizers removing safety features for the sake of style, but for a major manufacturer to do so suprises me. I wonder how long it will take before somebody gets hit from behind on one of these bikes in the dark or fog, and sues the crap out of HD. If they do, I'll bet they win.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:27 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
It's interesting that two of HD's newest, and most popular models, have eliminated the tail light altogether. Bot the Nightster and the Rocker have integrated the tail light function into the turn signals.

I'm used to customizers removing safety features for the sake of style, but for a major manufacturer to do so suprises me. I wonder how long it will take before somebody gets hit from behind on one of these bikes in the dark or fog, and sues the crap out of HD. If they do, I'll bet they win.
As long as their current configuration passes DOT laws, I doubt you have a chance in hell winning a lawsuit. Of course, if you take into account the stupidity of the court system, anything is possible.