Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-10-2007, 06:32 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
As long as their current configuration passes DOT laws, I doubt you have a chance in hell winning a lawsuit. Of course, if you take into account the stupidity of the court system, anything is possible.
You're probably right, but I'll bet those allegedly explosive gas tanks on those pickups a few years ago met DOT standards.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2007, 06:56 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
You're probably right, but I'll bet those allegedly explosive gas tanks on those pickups a few years ago met DOT standards.
I think there is a bit of difference between crash worthiness and basic safety lights. Who knows, maybe that new Harley back end will explode and rip somebodys ass off!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:01 AM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I think there is a bit of difference between crash worthiness and basic safety lights. Who knows, maybe that new Harley back end will explode and rip somebodys ass off!
If it happens, Quentin Tarantino will make a movie about it.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:42 AM   #14
pplassm
Founding Member

Talking

Quote:
I wonder how long it will take before somebody gets hit from behind on one of these bikes in the dark or fog, and sues the crap out of HD. If they do, I'll bet they win.
Do you really think the owner of a "Rocker" is going to be out riding in the fog?
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Yeah.

Quote:
How dare GM sell gas tanks that explode WHEN YOU SET OFF A FREAKING BLASTING CAP IN ONE!

BTW. Have you seen those rear turn indicator eliminator kits that some sportbikers use? The ones that use the taillight bulbs instead? How did the DOT ever approve those? All you can see is the taillight flashing. They are completely worthless.

Maybe the same guys who set the subprime mortgage approval regulations got transferred to DOT.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #16
idiotboy376
Registered Member

well actually im looking up info on the turnsignals right now for myself (im having issues with mine not working and cant find parts) and as far as PA inspection laws go it looks like motorcycles are not required to have turnsignals... i am an inspection mechanic(not lisenced to inspect bikes yet though) so i have a clue what im looking at here
idiotboy376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:04 AM   #17
pushrod
Founding Member

I376,

As stated above, get the brightest, most obnoxious signal you can find. You want to do anything you can to get the other drivers' attention.

While I'm on the subject, I'm no fan of those silly 1157-style LED replacements folks put in their brake lights. Can hardly see the wimpy little things.

Depending on your application, you may want to look at HyperLites. (Hyper-Lites Motorcycle Safety LED Lights and Bungie Buddies) I've got two 8-lamp units on my Sprint as "auxiliary brake lights". Every time I ride with someone for the first time, they ask me, "Wow! Where did you get those brake lights!?" There is no missing them, fer shure.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #18
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

As with many things, bigger is better. The little flush mount cat eye ones are not as noticable as the stockers or decent aftermarket ones. I'd go with stalk mounted round ones, either stock (spendy) or aftermarket. You want to be seen.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Funny those allegedly explosive tanks only exploded when Dateline NBC rigged them with explosives. It was yellow journalism the likes of CBS claiming the Audi would run off out of control even when the driver had his foot mashed on the brake pedal.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #20
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Funny those allegedly explosive tanks only exploded when Dateline NBC rigged them with explosives. It was yellow journalism the likes of CBS claiming the Audi would run off out of control even when the driver had his foot mashed on the brake pedal.
The full report on the 60 Minutes scam:
Civil Justice Memo 18 | Manufacturing the Audi Scare, by Peter Huber
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote